All That Jazz ...

Always happy to spread the gospel according to Dan :)
If I may be allowed one last off-topic transgression:
If you haven’t already, do check out Fagen’s last solo album ‘Sunken Condos’.
A witty, funky masterpiece that sinks its hooks deeper into you with every listen.
Bloody brilliant!
Recently acquired the vinyl of Fagen's The Nightfly
Sublime
Cheers

Last edited:
img_3593.jpg

Tidal Link: https://tidal.com/browse/album/93438096

Do you agree with this list ?

There are so many facets to Miles’ music. But for me Milestones will remain the quintessential Miles album. Here is a slow , smouldering , bluesy Sid’s Ahead.

Always happy to spread the gospel according to Dan :)
Amen to that. Reminded me so much of this reminiscence about Art Blakey in the liner notes of Roots and Herbs.

Once , when the Messengers were in their station wagon on one of those seemingly interminable trip between dates they came to the outskirts of a small town and seeing a goodly crowd gathered , got out to stretch their legs and see what was happening.

It was a funeral.

They moved up closer.

Intoned the minister , “Does anyone have anything to say before we inter these mortal remains?”

Silence.

Again the question was asked. Again , silence.

At which point they say Art stepped forward and said huskily , “If there is nothing anyone wants to say about the deceased , I hope no one here minds if I say a few words about jazz.”

Do you agree with this list ?

There are so many facets to Miles’ music. But for me Milestones will remain the quintessential Miles album. Here is a slow , smouldering , bluesy Sid’s Ahead.

Great list!
I’d make just two changes: Blue Haze and Siesta instead of Panthalassa and You’re Under Arrest.
Totally agree with the rest, in no specific order.

At which point they say Art stepped forward and said huskily , “If there is nothing anyone wants to say about the deceased , I hope no one here minds if I say a few words about jazz.”

Moktan, looks like we need a separate discussion for famous jazz anecdotes!

Perhaps we can start with how Chet Baker lost his teeth. Or is it tooth or part of tooth? There are multiple versions of this , like Roshomon.
Moktan, looks like we need a separate discussion for famous jazz anecdotes!

B54EC2FF-0C35-4EC3-8708-54A2DDD7306F.jpeg

Black Codes (From The Underground) - Wynton Marsalis

Wynyon and his brother Brandon sizzle on this post bop album from 1985 (yes, that new!). And guess what, he was a mere 23 then!

Loving this thread day by day....for me it's a treasure trove. Being less enthusiastic about jazz in past ( was into hard rock, heavy metal ) I am finding it soothing.

Maybe I have mellowed with age .

Thanks for this thread.

Oh yes, Jazz has the ultimate soothing ability. Nothing like spinning a disc in the evening, pre/post dinner. Or on a lazy Sunday afternoon. Am still into all kinds of music, but Jazz is like wine - has its own vintage and effect. Like the one above.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back