All That Jazz ...

Ok so on a roll and here are 3 more from my cupboard

Tommy Flannagan- Confirmation Is a sophisticated album - the word that comes to mind is the college use of “decent”. Got it’s moments, and it is from a pianist who featured in iconic albums including Giant Steps. Not a run out and buy, but I need to listen to this more.

Chico Freeman - Tradition in Transition is immediately more compelling and powerful sounding. Modern even. And has a lovely Jackie-ing followed by originals.

Art Farmer - Blame it on my youth Is a superb album. Flugelhorn - another nice instrument. I like Art Farmer a lot (own many albums, including a lovely ones with Jim Hall and Benny Golson). Here he plays the standard with such a lovely warm sound. Nicely recorded too

Dont own too many albums but like Art Farmer and Tommy Flanagan both. Was listening to Art Farmer at Half Note with Jim Hall. Thanks for sharing.

With Clark Terry, Peterson accompanies beautifully. Clark Terry takes centre stage mostly and is very persuasive. With Webster, (Mr. Breathy and Soulful), Peterson plays soulful too and restrained. I was more familiar with the propulsive and "Fifty Fingers", Mr. Peterson so far. Happy to add these two albums!20201116_220010.jpg

I have to thank @sameer kumar for another great recommendation!

272471966789.jpg

And jazz slowed down as I listened to Shostakovich and Bartok. Which are, along with Stravinsky, easy recos for a jazz fan who wants to listen to Western Classical.

Curtis Fuller - Bluesette is a superb album by the Trombonist which you get your money’s worth when you listen to the first song.

Ganelin Trio - Ancora da Capo is an album my family made me promise never to play again. Ans they weren’t in the same room even. Free jazz extreme!

Bill Frisell - Have a little faith is an amazing album by the jazz guitarist though it’s less jazz and more Americana. Has pieces as diverse as Billy the kid (Copland), Sonny Rollins, Dylan, Hiatt and Madonna!! I never got into this album till now! I listened to it as music more than jazz and was great.

Paul Gonalves - Gettin’ Together is a sweet swinging album from the sideman who was part of the Ellington history. Sweet Sax playing. Very jazz. No confusion

Must read is the Ellington at Newport part and so exciting even when you read the dry Wikipedia wri. A story I have read many times and still love to read when I listen to the album. The set up, the music history, the lost solo and how it was pieced together using technology (Gonalves had been blowing into the wrong microphone ans that was discovered later). The works.

And you can see the crowd really getting into it. Ans you can imagine Elaine Anderson breaking out into a dance that set the place on fire

Benny Goodman B.G in Hifi - And thanks to this write up got back to this lovely album - swing era its last legs, a legend playing with a tight band and superb soloing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GwAHvke15WU

Last edited:
20201124_201938.jpg20201124_201834.jpgI wasn't familiar with Joe Sample but Ray Brown and Shelly Manne peaked my interest in this album. This "Direct to Disc" racket is alright and you can really hear the instruments on this. Musically a great session too on the Japanese, East Wind Records. They cover standards barring one original here. Good stuff this.

20201128_214013.jpgElvin Jones Live at the Village Vanguard 1968. Beautifuly recorded set with drums appearing at the centre. Exploratory and uptempo in part and introspective and melodious in other. George Coleman on Saxophone shares the centre stage equally with Elvin Jones whose side of raucous and energetic drumming style, I am beginning to recognize. Few uptempo solos on it and a couple of ballads.

Attachments

• 20201128_214013.jpg
    20201128_214013.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 0
Haven’t been around here in a while as I’ve been indulging my non-jazzy side, with everything from Michael Jackson to Tull. Time to get back on track!
I’ve posted these before but they’re worth repeating. Still available for pennies at Amazon UK, these two boxes are stunning vfm. Some of these titles are also impossible to find, except as crazy expensive Japanese imports. And, despite the plain Jane packaging, the sound quality is excellent.

621E0C01-17A5-4132-A29E-A30785354568.jpegEB0B3200-F763-4BC3-86D2-39D3F262AEE9.jpeg

Haven’t been around here in a while as I’ve been indulging my non-jazzy side, with everything from Michael Jackson to Tull. Time to get back on track!
I’ve posted these before but they’re worth repeating. Still available for pennies at Amazon UK, these two boxes are stunning vfm. Some of these titles are also impossible to find, except as crazy expensive Japanese imports. And, despite the plain Jane packaging, the sound quality is excellent.

View attachment 52659View attachment 52660
wow @coaltrain . an all star cast there and tunes I will check out.
On the subject of Michael Jackson, I discovered this jazz tune (putting a YouTube link here). I couldnt find if any credits were shared. Ray Bryant"s style, I read is very Gospel and bluesy with a heavy touch on the keys.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back