All That Jazz ...

Listening tonight to another superb recommendation from @sameer kumar

R-8725253-1605777013-2745.jpeg

@Fiftyfifty good to have you reappear :)

@Nikhil, it was Kerry dancers you posted earlier and I have been wanting to get that and now Tony Fruscella, (who I had no idea of) and I am digging the album posted. Thanks.
@vivek_r my entire household has the approval of the catchy take on 'St James infirmary' from that Allen Toussaint album. Thanks.
Not easy to keep pace :)

Listening tonight to another superb recommendation from @sameer kumar

R-8725253-1605777013-2745.jpeg

What a beautiful album! Thank you Nikhil for sharing.
Charles McPherson must have been in his mid seventies when this album was released, yet sounds so full of creativity and zest, outdoing his own performances with Mingus.
But sometimes a sideman impresses you so much that you want to look up the lineup. This is what happened to me when listening to the lyrical piano solos accompanying the sax. Chip Stephens, the pianist, is just too good! Google revealed he is a professor of jazz at the University of Illinois. A few of his own albums:
Stephens-Chip-Glenn-Wilson-Sadness-and-Soul.jpg
A duo album with a saxophonist Glenn Wilson. Lovely combination performing familiar standards in their unique style. Did I notice a hint of classical in parts? Point : Counter point?

The other album
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiODAxMjE2Ni4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6Z...jpeg
A lively album featuring the great Arturo Sandoval. Never a dull moment on this one

Both fantastic albums. Give them a listen.

Looks like the usual suspects have been keeping a low profile while I’ve been absconding! Time to stir the pot a bit :)

@vivek_r
Totally agree with your take on Dolphy’s bass clarinet: one of my favourite sounds in all of jazz.
If you haven’t already, do check out his solo on Coltrane’s ‘Spiritual’, from ‘Live at the Village Vanguard’. Sublime.

Tubby Hayes - Mexican Green; I don’t know how I came to own this album of this British musician. Did google lead me from Joe Temperley to this? Nice album. Couple of Coltrane type turns, some nice slow arrangements and then some modern playing. Nice!! Not great but real nice!

Rare Silk- New Weave Inspired by the Spain post above pulled out this album that I have always enjoyed. “Meeting of two lovers by chance” in is a delightful line.

Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Blacknuss: soul and jazz from the master - all those instruments and grunting and breathing ...

Benny Golson of the Jazztets ...probably one of greatest composers still alive with classics like Along Came Betty, I Remember Clifford, Stablemates ...here he is performing his hypnotic Killer Joe ...just pure simple ..great jazz music underpinned by a lovely melody .....

Hi thanks heard KILLER JOE after seeing TERMINAL tom hanks movie, enjoyed again. Cheers

View attachment 56363
Donald Byrd-Royal Flush, recorded 1961 on Blue Note. Debuted a young Herbie Hancock and was Byrd"s last association with Pepper Adams. A beautiful album from start to finish and a hard bop treasure.
My most favorite album of all time. Every single track is superb but "Requiem" is the best. I use this to evaluate equipment before I buy, especially speakers. Prior to buying my Harbeth SHL5 many years ago, I listened to this track at Singapore dealer - CD acoustic's Jimmy Goh and even he fell in love with this album.
Cheers,
Sid

My most favorite album of all time. Every single track is superb but "Requiem" is the best. I use this to evaluate equipment before I buy, especially speakers. Prior to buying my Harbeth SHL5 many years ago, I listened to this track at Singapore dealer - CD acoustic's Jimmy Goh and even he fell in love with this album.
Cheers,
Sid
"Requeim" is great. There's also "Jorgie's" which I heard someone say sounds ahead of its time and also a beautiful sounding ballad on side A. And like you said, Every single track is superb.

View attachment 56363
Donald Byrd-Royal Flush, recorded 1961 on Blue Note. Debuted a young Herbie Hancock and was Byrd"s last association with Pepper Adams. A beautiful album from start to finish and a hard bop treasure.
The great thing about this thread is that, in addition to recommending new music, you folks are constantly reminding me to check out albums I haven’t heard in a while. Donald Byrd swings!

View attachment 56363
True dat about the music being great! And @sidvee understandable how it can be a useful to audition equipment, because the rhythm section is playing pretty nuanced stuff and the recording is really good.

Thanks for sharing Sushant.

View attachment 56363
Donald Byrd is one of my favorites! Top of my list is Black Byrd - the swingingest album I know
Thanks for the share @Sushant Sharma

Donald Byrd is one of my favorites! Top of my list is Black Byrd - the swingingest album I know
Thanks for the share @Sushant Sharma
Lot of funk in that album, Jayant. The guitars are off the charts. He did take a bit of a Miles approach with venturing into fusion and funk and all, later in his career.
Ok. I wrote the above and then read up a bit. While I am digging his earlier bop stuff, the man did break new ground.

Last edited:
Lot of funk in that album, Jayant. The guitars are off the charts. He did take a bit of a Miles approach with venturing into fusion and funk and all, later in his career.
Ok. I wrote the above and then read up a bit. While I am digging his earlier bop stuff, the man did break new ground.

Yes the way he progressed from hard bop to jazz funk and all out funk makes his discography so compelling. Every time I listen to Ethiopian Knights or Black Byrd, I can't help but get up and shake a leg!
As compelling as the progressions of Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and even Stanley Turrentine for me

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back