All That Jazz ...

Heard the first few tracks on Apple Music, but it wasn’t the same instant nirvana I experienced with Accelerando or Historicity.
However, being a rabid Vijay Iyer fanboy, I’ll have to sit down soon for a serious listen all the way through. Sometimes, the albums you don’t get straight away are the ones you end up liking most!
Your comments on Tyshawn Sorey are spot on, though. That guy is seriously gifted.

Yes, this album is more straight-forward post-bop in comparison to his earlier ones which are more genre-bending and exploratory. Nevertheless, the musicianship on the album makes it a very compelling listen. Given it another try.

The title piqued my interest. Holdsworth , Beck, and Didier Lockwood are on fire in this live recording.

Truly unique indeed...they really are on fire.
And it's a 40-year old recording. Not sure why it wasn't released till now. When you said it features Beck, for a minute, I jumped with joy thinking Jeff Beck before I realised it's Gordon Beck. Wouldn't that be a great album - Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck together!

When you said it features Beck, for a minute, I jumped with joy thinking Jeff Beck before I realised it's Gordon Beck.
What the ——! That’s exactly what I thought, too! Jeff and Allan together! Which is why I liked the post!
Himadri, you owe me one :)

Joking aside, anything with Holdsworth should be good. Didier Lockwood played in B’lore years ago, but I missed it unfortunately.

Truly unique indeed...they really are on fire.
And it's a 40-year old recording. Not sure why it wasn't released till now. When you said it features Beck, for a minute, I jumped with joy thinking Jeff Beck before I realised it's Gordon Beck. Wouldn't that be a great album - Allan Holdsworth and Jeff Beck together!
Sorry guys , I realised the Beck issue the moment I posted it but was too lazy to edit . Buy you know what , for many, it may a first time listen to Gordon Beck , and I was really impressed with his clean, fast and melodic piano work.
Yes, Jeff Beck and Allan Holdsworth together would be a real Guitar Summit , and both have appeared in Eric Clapton's Crossroads separately , Beck's was probably the greatest, but sadly Allan's performance was a forgettable one.

Sorry guys , I realised the Beck issue the moment I posted it but was too lazy to edit . Buy you know what , for many, it may a first time listen to Gordon Beck , and I was really impressed with his clean, fast and melodic piano work.
Yes, Jeff Beck and Allan Holdsworth together would be a real Guitar Summit , and both have appeared in Eric Clapton's Crossroads separately , Beck's was probably the greatest, but sadly Allan's performance was a forgettable one.

Yes, I found Gordon Beck's playing to be precise and melodic as well.

I have seen Allan Holdsworth live a couple of times - Once in California as a part of a trio in 2010 and again solo in Germany 2015, a couple of years before he passed. It was a small venue in Dusseldorf (or Berlin, can't recollect) with poor sound but the music was brilliant. Even while he was playing solo, it played numbers even from his time with Tony Williams, Gong and also a few from Propensity album.

Allan Holdsworth is really underrated as a guitarist. His use of legato and chord scales in truly unparalleled in jazz guitar. I feel he never got his due.

Late night and invigorating - Late night because it is solo piano, invigorating because it is so beautifully presented.
1619844766668.png

In the words of a reviewer:
The voice is wide–ranging and articulate, encompassing elements of bop, swing, post–bop and even some stride (on Teddi Castion’s “Easy Like”). Faint echoes of Powell and Tatum (and even Garner) surface from time to time.

Hassan Ibn Ali’s Metaphysics : The Lost Atlantic Album ,is getting rave reviews…..

Saxophonist Benny Golson commented that Ibn Ali "became very skilled at the modern sounds, and then went right past them into something very esoteric. He went way out there. I guess you could say his brakes didn't work."

Here he is with the Max Roach trio …

Incredible stuff , thanks .

Yes, I found Gordon Beck's playing to be precise and melodic as well.

I have seen Allan Holdsworth live a couple of times - Once in California as a part of a trio in 2010 and again solo in Germany 2015, a couple of years before he passed. It was a small venue in Dusseldorf (or Berlin, can't recollect) with poor sound but the music was brilliant. Even while he was playing solo, it played numbers even from his time with Tony Williams, Gong and also a few from Propensity album.

Allan Holdsworth is really underrated as a guitarist. His use of legato and chord scales in truly unparalleled in jazz guitar. I feel he never got his due.
Agreed. Lucky you. My impressions of the only time I saw him. In 2011.
Thread 'Virgil Donati Band Concert Mumbai-Great show' https://www.hifivision.com/threads/virgil-donati-band-concert-mumbai-great-show.21896/

Late night and invigorating - Late night because it is solo piano, invigorating because it is so beautifully presented.
View attachment 56710

In the words of a reviewer:
The voice is wide–ranging and articulate, encompassing elements of bop, swing, post–bop and even some stride (on Teddi Castion’s “Easy Like”). Faint echoes of Powell and Tatum (and even Garner) surface from time to time.

Thanks for sharing this Kishore. Listening to it reminds me of a trip I made to Hamburg a few years ago. I stayed in an old fashioned hotel that had a piano in the lounge bar. I had finished dinner early and was wondering what to do to kill the time when I heard some piano jazz wafting in from the lounge bar. I found myself a table in a quiet corner ordered a drink and just took in the music.

Lovely memory from a time that seems so far away from the way things are right now.

Vincent-Herring-PREACHING-TO-THE-CHOIR-Cover-WEB.jpg

Posting about jazz after a looong time... Been listening to my jazz collection lately...

Been playing Booker Little Lp's... his solo albums and some of his early work with Max Roach and Eric Dolphy... he was talent that truly died young... even though he shined very bright while he was around!

here is taste ...

Hi FM's,
Appreciate it if you can share a list of Jazz tracks by Non-Jazz artists like 1. Anita Baker (sometimes I wonder), 2. Queen Latifah (Close your eyes) and my favorite track by Celine Dion (Nature Boy).
Tc.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back