All the speakers I made - suri

Hai Gobble,

The Speakers were made by a Electronics shop owner friend (and also speaker dealer) at Ritchie street , Chennai. The Original Woofer was a BOLTON make 50 w woofer , but later replaced it with Peerless Denmark 8 inch Woofer (Model 830868), for want of Bass. The driver was sourced from M/s Corrson Audio, Bangalore. The Bass is now very good. The Peerless Woofers alone cost me Rs.6800/- pair including courier charges. The enclosures and wiring cost me Rs.1350/- pair. The M/W and tweeter (both Peerless India make) were taken from TORVIN Bookshelf TP-4 model which I had purchased earlier. Overall cost was around Rs.15000/- . The sound is very good like a floor stander. Imaging and depth are good, the soundstage is very wide and open. I have paired them with a NORGE 2060.

I invite anybody interested to audition them.

Thank you

N Murali.

the next attempt was this

they were bass reflex, with the reflex port in the stem of the speaker.
the volume measurements were for the peerless 7" midwoofer.
the tweeter was scanspeak revelator 2905/9000, both sourced from Corrson, Bangalore.

i began hearing music the way i liked it, with these speakers!:)

Last edited:
the next attempt was this

they were bass reflex, with the reflex port in the stem of the speaker.
the volume measurements were for the peerless 7" midwoofer.
the tweeter was scanspeak revelator 2905/9000, both sourced from Corrson, Bangalore.

i began hearing music the way i liked it, with these speakers!:)

Sir, your speakers are just out of the world! I guess they sound that way too!
So I guess the witches of sound are coming up next?

Great work to Suri, and all the DIY members on this forum. I have one small request which I feel will greatly benefit the rest of the members:

**Instead of posting a brief description of your work along with pictures (as is being done now), how about posting a detailed DIY guide for the forum?**

This can include the following:
1. What gave you the idea/inspiration to start the project? (Someone else's project, need to improve upon an existing design, for fun, to learn...)
2. Where did you get the technical know-how from? (Online guides, other's blogs, any good books, previous knowledge, friends,...)
3. Where did you source all the raw materials from? (Drivers, enclosure, crossover components. wires...)
4. How did you actually design the full setup? (Measuring freq. response, crossover details, testing drivers, enclosure, calculating ball-park figures...)
5. How did you test the final system?
6. Overall cost including parts, labour (including your own) in time and money?
7. Loads and Loads of pictures and various steps during your journey!

The above is just what comes to my mind. Feel free to add sections as needed.

I just thought it would be immensely helpful to all us Indian newbie DIYs if you all shared the above knowledge in a systematic and scientific way. I know it takes quite a while and effort to compile such a guide, so I am not imposing or forcing the idea, since this is a hobby, not a job deadline. But even if one or two of you can take the time to make such an online/pdf guide, it would really excite quite a few of us to try our hand at it as well.

Keep up the great work!

-Ajinkya.

Hi ajinkya,
that is a good checklist, difficult to implement for a hobbyist!

-to draw proper diagrams with measurements is a task

- SPL measurements in the rooms that we keep the speakers in, throws up horrifying results and we are left wondering how to do it right! again needs application of mind .

so at the end of the day, we tend to depend on people like Krutke of zaph audio to design, simulate, implement and measure loudspeakers and put the full documentation on record for us to access. It becomes easy to look at his designs, get a rough idea of what should and should not be done, and then design a loudspeaker housing.

I did, in fact, make two of his designs, but was not happy with the way they sounded, so I went off on a tangent with an aim to make speakers i liked-
i was tired of making rectangular shapes, and coffin boxes, and not happy with the regular bass - reflex designs because of their emphasis on lower mid-bass.

so, even though it would be an ideal situation, not many can actually document the design completely, and probably one or two persons, like you say, would actually document. will certainly try - am in the process of doocumenting and measuring my last attempt!

regards

the next attempt culminated with the "WITCHES of SOUND" floorstanders using scanspeak drivers, but that i will save that for later.

here, i will post details and pictures of my attempts to create a subwoofer to match the floorstanders

I have seen venkatcr's post regarding the irrelevance of subwoofers, but quite a bit of material recorded these days by artists and composers is assisted electronically, and for such recorded material your sound reproduction apparatus should not be lacking. Here, i think, the assistance of a subwoofer will lend substance.

the present project is ongoing, and will be completed on (or thereabouts) July 6th 2009.:)

will post the pictures tomorrow

here are the pictures -

THE PICTURES ARE NOT IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER - SORRY, HAD TO UPLOAD FROM DIFFERENT SOURCE

The plate amplifier and the cables are due on the 6th of July, and i hope to complete the project on the 10th of July

Last edited:
Amazing wood work!

You have very patient carpenters. Wonder how you got them to understand your requirements?!

In Mumbai they would have tucked up their mundu and ran away!:eek:hyeah:

Amazing wood work!

You have very patient carpenters. Wonder how you got them to understand your requirements?!

In Mumbai they would have tucked up their mundu and ran away!:eek:hyeah:

Hi reju,

I found this carpenter after such a long time - almost 11 years - he is really gifted with his hands - and more importantly is able to understand what i want him to do, even though my malayalam is broken and fragmented! I have seen madbullram's thread about getting carpenters in chennai and i can understand his angst! This man is pushing 50, and i hope (finances willing) to get a lot of work done by him before he hangs up his tools.:)

Hi,

Nothing much to say ;) ! Except waiting anxiously to the successful completion :) !!

Which is the Plate-Amp ?? from Madisound again ??

Regards.

Hi,

Nothing much to say ;) ! Except waiting anxiously to the successful completion :) !!

Which is the Plate-Amp ?? from Madisound again ??

Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

the plate amp is the KEIGA KGND-5250. i first saw this amp on the madisound site where it is listed at $ 435/-.

While surfing the web, i noticed a seller who was closing down his subwoofer operations and was offering this very same amp at a discount.

I called him and settled for $175. this was shipped to my sister, who will be reaching Mangalore (where my family is) on the 6th of July.

I am keeping my fingers crossed! - this is completely an experimental design and could go horribly wrong!

anyway, i always believed that limiting oneself to a paradigm was another form of slavery!:)

the keiga amplifier has arrived, the subwoofer cables have arrived (I would have liked to have soundsgreat supply the subwoofer cables and the interconnects, but I was in a hurry! - will upgrade with soundsgreat help later on - will be meeting him this month:yahoo:)

will set up the subwoofer this weekend - whoa! - will i be listening to the one system that satisfies everybody? - time will tell. - but, perhaps not, evidence being the seekers of the holy grail (fools, these bastids!):)

the third picture from the top is a ground loop isolation transformer

Last edited:
Hi,

Congrats Buddy ! Thats quite a steal I should say ;) !!

Am sure its gona turn out fabulous :)!

(I would have liked to have soundsgreat supply the subwoofer cables and the interconnects, but I was in a hurry! - will upgrade with soundsgreat help later on - will be meeting him this month

Well Buddy I too would've loved to make some cables for you,but as I said I had to test it thoroughly before I could make some more :p!! I have identified few corrections or mods for it,so will implement and hopefully have it ready by the time you come ;)!!

Please do keep us in the loop of how the sub turns out ;)!

Regards.

Tharun-:)

well, the subwoofer is up and running.

took me three days to find the optimum position in the room for it.

I have been listening for the last 5 days - whereas earlier, the music was raw and "in-your-face", it is now rounder, fatter, and less raw!

whereas earlier, the music was a tasty fillet of salmon, now it is a thick KFC chicken leg!

i have felt my eardrums move in and out without any sensation of sound, but i have not felt anything on my chest or had a gut-wrenching sensation during the reproduction of low frequency material.

Contrary to what some people may say, much of music recorded these days incorporates low frequency material (produced electronically i suppose), and loudspeakers should not be wanting when such material they are called upon to reproduce.

So then, it has to be a three-way, with the subwoofer as the third,or a two-way with separate sub-woofer(s), - thus so, because an 8" paper cone is the best (in everybody's opinion) for the reproduction of voice and midrange, and an 8" cone cannot be allowed to reproduce frequencies below 60 Hz

that is my nephew, Arjun, posing with the subwoofer for the photograph

suri,..OMG!!!!to think i live so close to u and havent visited!!am missing so much!!!!!!the speakers look wunderbah and the sub,...phew.words fail me.am so glad to be part of this forum,the knowledge base of the likes of u,soundsgreat,marsilians,venkatcr,and many others(excuse my havin missed any,u all know who u are),has just never ceased to amaze me.the collective creativity,...mind boggling.very humbling experience.cheers brother

T - thus so, because an 8" paper cone is the best (in everybody's opinion) for the reproduction of voice and midrange, and an 8" cone cannot be allowed to reproduce frequencies below 60 Hz

Just wanted a quick clarification on the side about this statement. Is it a recommended best practice or opinion of hi-end audiophiles? Surely with a right enclosure an 8" driver can go down to 40hz is it not? So you are saying the driver should be prevented by design from going so low?

TIA
Regards

Ooops! that statement should read " 6.5-7" midwoofers are best for (male) human voice". sorry for putting in that statement about 8 inchers without thinking:eek:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back