All the speakers I made - suri

Looking great ...

Some day I will go that far in speakers DIY ,i hope.
Seems u r busy with these new creations...

mid-way through to final assembly-

applying silicone on interior surfaces - prevents fungus formation!

Last edited:

these 'witches of ecstasy" -
want to paint them in gloss automotive finish - Honda fireblade colours - any suggestions?

Last edited:
Kharma_Exquisite_Reference_1A.jpg

Big sigh!

wow suri,they sure look look amazing!!would love to hear ur impressions on the sonics of the finished product.all the best,and have a gr8 yr!cheers

hi all,
"witches of ecstasy" are in the final stages of completion -

notice the brass - used as a resonance drain and to round off the front baffle edges - the wood beyond the brass will be rounded at a later stage for a
"sharp-edge-less" baffle.

Last edited:
some serious carpentry going on there :clapping:

hi audioengr, trying to get the speaker finished before i attend the bangalore hi-fi meet hosted by george (either on 10th or 17th Jan).

the speakers are almost done - will be sending for lacquering tomorrow.

regards

wah:eek:hyeah: What an real audio buff ur sir I salute u. yes this what makes a man an audiophile. Not just take ur money go and shop for all the higher products the shop keeper comes home sets up everything and you become a audiophile no:mad:. What you are doing is the real audiophile stuff where you understand practically in and out of real sound:) And a last question are you married ha ha:yahoo: keep going v are with you:yahoo:

Hi,

Looking good Suri,cannot wait to see the finished product :licklips:!!

So have you decided yet bout the paint and the finish ;)??

Regards.

So have you decided yet bout the paint and the finish ;)??Regards.

hi soundsgreat, thanks for your encouragement!

i was thinking of midnight black automotive lacquer - the brass (gold) would be a good contrast? - i am planning to place (black) felt around the drivers on the front baffle.

regards, suri

wah:eek:hyeah: What an real audio buff ur sir I salute u. yes this what makes a man an audiophile. Not just take ur money go and shop for all the higher products the shop keeper comes home sets up everything and you become a audiophile no:mad:. What you are doing is the real audiophile stuff where you understand practically in and out of real sound:) And a last question are you married ha ha:yahoo: keep going v are with you:yahoo:

hey changappa,
thanks!

yes, i am married - to a woman who has learned to tolerate the concept, and has accepted me as the least of the evils!!!:lol:

regards, suri

Hi,

Suri you deserve every bit of it :clapping: !!

i was thinking of midnight black automotive lacquer - the brass (gold) would be a good contrast?

Suri that combo is a big No No !! have tried it and looks sick !

For High Gloss or otherwise,with Black the most suited colour is Silver and its shades (Aluminium,Chromium etc) !! these would enhance the looks ten folds !!

This is my humble suggestion,so please see whether it suits your scheme of things planned ;) !!

Regards.

Hi,

Suri you deserve every bit of it :clapping: !!

Suri that combo is a big No No !! have tried it and looks sick !

For High Gloss or otherwise,with Black the most suited colour is Silver and its shades (Aluminium,Chromium etc) !! these would enhance the looks ten folds !!

This is my humble suggestion,so please see whether it suits your scheme of things planned ;) !!

Regards.

hi soundsgreat, thanks for the heads-up.

but i have to use the brass - what automotive lacquer shade would best suit this ?

regards, suri

suri the look of your loudspeakers are sure to turn heads.
Check out some of the Wilson/Von Schweikert pages for ideas on automotive paint colors.

BTW - which SF model are you following for this design? Franco Serblin was the chief designer of most SF creations and his last lifetime achievement was the Stradivari. After which, he kinda took an early retirement & now SF is handled by a different team. Franco was a master (infact a super master) at his work so those creations are absolute "gems".

Following this Thread all the way, I find the B&W 802D audition you had did not appeal to you. What amplifier were those speakers driven with? In most cases, unless the amplifier in question is correct, these upper-end B&Ws always kinda mis-behave and no not work at their potential. Moreover, in case you've read my remarks in one of the threads, I did mention that the modern B&Ws are voiced for today's customers with loot in their pockets who usually want their speakers with a slightly forward presentation and more so for their pop/rock and jazz collection of playback material. B&W UK engineers do not supply these "stock crossover alignment" for classical music at Abbey Road, Decca, EMI/London, Deutsche Grammophon, Sony Classical/CBS so they have a special mod and this makes their new designs much more mellow cum laid-back without losing transparency.

hi audio_engr,

i heard those 802D with theta amplification - and yes, i have read your remarks regarding the cross-overs. could have been the room, but i could not "fix" the audio image at any position i tried - even standing.

have you heard the Stradivari homage? - difficult for me to imagine that the wide baffle design nullifies the loss of concerned frequencies in the transition from 2pi to 4 pi radiation - for that, i would expect the baffle to be at least 6 feet either way from the middle - 12 feet in toto.

but apart from theory, i have heard the Guarneri Memento, and i liked what i heard - and a spokesperson of sonus faber is said to have said " please do not bother about technical details and measurements- please listen to the music" - the measurements could mislead a person who could have bought and enjoyed this particular loudspeaker!

but, the reviews about the stradivari homage are all good, and hope that one of us will hear and let others know what to expect.

edit - you have mentioned the character of speakers as being "forward" and "laid-back" - in this context i will ask you about a particular track - diana krall singing "the girl in the other room" - i have heard this track on very many systems, and you must have heard this track - where should her voice be located?-
in front of the speaker plane, exactly at the speaker plane, or behind the speaker plane - i wonder if i am asking an inconsequential question, but i must ask!:)

Last edited:
Great looks :clapping:,surely will have to wait for final touches.

And a listening session someday.. God's own country calling me for sometime ...!

I can see your carpenter is very good at speaker making,done the job in a short time.. keep it up.

i was thinking of midnight black automotive lacquer - the brass (gold) would be a good contrast? - i am planning to place (black) felt around the drivers on the front baffle.

regards, suri

I thought someone here commented that auto paints on MDF/Ply speakers had an effect on SQ, have you tried it before? How about some nice suede leather for the front baffle, would it work?

P.S: How do you like smoke gray metallic or dark green metallic colors?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back