All the speakers I made - suri

Hi,

hi soundsgreat, thanks for the heads-up.

but i have to use the brass - what automotive lacquer shade would best suit this ?

regards, suri

Am sorry to reply late !! Suri why not get the brass plated with chrome or electroplate it with other similar Silver/Steel tones ?? or do you compulsorily want keep brass finish ??

I thought someone here commented that auto paints on MDF/Ply speakers had an effect on SQ, have you tried it before? How about some nice suede leather for the front baffle, would it work?

Gruby Am not sure who said that but I've used similar paints (some exact auto and some other) and have not noticed any degradation in sound !

If you see that way all the major brands have their speakers in these exotic glossy paint finishes (lacquer is also a deviation of paint) ! so Am not at all sure who found what fault with it !!

Regards.

I thought someone here commented that auto paints on MDF/Ply speakers had an effect on SQ, have you tried it before? How about some nice suede leather for the front baffle, would it work?

P.S: How do you like smoke gray metallic or dark green metallic colors?

hi grubyhalo,

i think it was I who made that comment - in the past i have used both automotive lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer for finish, and have felt that automotive lacquers form a hard brittle shell, whereas N.C. lacquer does not form a hard shell - it seeps into the MDF and the finished speaker is somehow softer to the touch than one finished with automotive lacquer -

all the great violins of the world owe their special sound to specific (natural) lacquers applied to them (or so i have been led to believe), and so, I suppose, using N.C. Lacquer on a speaker would be preferable to using automotive paints.

speakers from wilson audio and rockport technologies have such massive and inert cabinets that the finish on the surface would not affect SQ either way.
but i have noticed that sonus faber (cabinets are not inert or massive) speakers are not finished with automotive paints.

the problem with N.C. Lacquer is that there are only 3 colours available (black, teak and red stainer, i think) and you do not get a high gloss finish - which you can with automotive paints (with clearcoat or teflon)

the green (dark) metallic sounds good.

regards

edit - i was (earlier) thinking of using leather for the front baffle, but now have decided to use dark coloured (midnight blue) felt - supposed to be better than leather for the intent

Last edited:
Hi,Suri why not get the brass plated with chrome or electroplate it with other similar Silver/Steel tones ?? or do you compulsorily want keep brass finish ??Regards.

hi soundsgreat,

yes, i think that might be a good idea- to electroplate the brass - thanks

regards

Hi,

i think it was I who made that comment - in the past i have used both automotive lacquer and nitrocellulose lacquer for finish, and have felt that automotive lacquers form a hard brittle shell, whereas N.C. lacquer does not form a hard shell - it seeps into the MDF and the finished speaker is somehow softer to the touch than one finished with automotive lacquer -

Am sorry if I had offended with my post ealier :p ! but you know what my intention were !

Anyways yes you have to choose carefully what finally you use to finish,but I have used auto based lacquer and didn't find the thing you mention (perhaps the no of coats and thinkness is the culprit ?? ) !

yes, i think that might be a good idea- to electroplate the brass - thanks

You are most welcome Suri :) !! glad I was able to help !

Regards.

Last edited:

the loudspeakers are almost ready - and this is how they will look - hope they sound good!

they are fairly large speakers, and (after a pm from audio_engr) it is obvious that dark colours will be a better option than light colours.

also fairly obvious that brass should be painted the same colour as the front(baffle) to avoid a garish look - never struck me - always thought that brass needed to be polished!:)

Hi Suri

What stage are your speakers in now?

Hope I can listen to them one day (considering the fact that I work for SBT and come to Kerala once a while.

Regards

Rajesh

Hi Suri

What stage are your speakers in now?

Hope I can listen to them one day (considering the fact that I work for SBT and come to Kerala once a while.

Regards

Rajesh

hi Rajesh,

you are most welcome - i have another system up and running called "The Witches of Sound" (pictures below)

the present project ("Witches of Ecstasy") should be complete by march -

please drop in whenever you are in the vicinity of where i stay - i will send you a pm with contact details.

regards

Hi suri,
those speakers look wonderful. Bit unconventional. I can see they are huge. what sort of listening distance do you normally prefer with them. The huge box behind is it also a speaker ?
Thanks.

Hi suri,
those speakers look wonderful. Bit unconventional. I can see they are huge. what sort of listening distance do you normally prefer with them. The huge box behind is it also a speaker ?
Thanks.

hi mahiruha,

the listening room is 18 x 40 feet and the speakers are one third in from the wall facing me - there is a small section of vertical wall behind each speaker about 4 feet wide - i will post a picture here later tonight for you to see.

the huge box behind is the subwoofer.

regards

hi Rajesh,

you are most welcome - i have another system up and running called "The Witches of Sound" (pictures below)

please drop in whenever you are in the vicinity of where i stay - i will send you a pm with contact details.

regards

Suri I have to admit that before the Bangalore HFV Meet, I was trying to re-construct images of what kind of personality one had specifically from one's posts, equipment and experiences.

Now "Witches of Ecstasy" gave me an idea that you would definately be a death metal freak until I saw your pic in a stripe t-shirt with black& white scattered hair- Eureka!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

hi Rajesh,

regards

Suri ,

I will do soon , i am struck up with some things here.

the sanding (in preparation for the application of putty) has started- should take three weeks till the final coat of lacquer is applied.

colour me sonus faber!

have decided to try and imitate the sonus faber colour and finish (and not do the hard automotive finish after reading about soulless automotive lacquer finished speakers)

this will start today - meanwhile the foundation for the binding posts is ready - the inside connection is user-serviceable because it is hinged and openable- i have a feeling that degradation of contact here is something that attention should be paid to-

Hi,

Looking real good Suri :licklips: !! Cannot wait to see the finished thing :) !

I see at the back you've used T-Nuts,whats the purpose of it ? and also at the bottom some wood sticking out,is it just for the finishing or part of the speaker ?

Regards.

@ soundsgreat,

i have taken these pictures of the box for the binding posts - my finger is pointing to the hole for the wires from crossover to binding posts - the box which is hinged is proposed to be lined with velvet.

the last picture shows the beginning of the colour being applied at the tweeter area.

regds, suri

edit - those nuts that you see - there are stainless steel rods that run from front to back of speaker with nuts at either end - tightening them causes the entire cabinet to remain in a braced state - something like -when you pull on the drawstring of a bow, the bow flexes and becomes stiffer? - there are seven for each speaker.

staining the lacquer almost complete!

much darker than sonus faber!!

Last edited:
That friend recently changed from Atma-Sphere to an ALL Audio Research System : VT-150SE Mono amps for Stradivari (god knows why?).
Here's a pic..... :)

OH! those stradivaris are so beautiful!

One could just look at them and feel good!

this speaker project "Witches of Ecstasy" - turns out i have been concentrating more on function than form, and they have become as ugly as sin!!:eek:

wondering whether to call them "Gorillas of Ecstasy"?!!!:lol:

this speaker project "Witches of Ecstasy" - turns out i have been concentrating more on function than form, and they have become as ugly as sin!!:eek:

Suri, I donno what you are talking about, the speakers seem to coming about quite beautifully! How many coats of lacquer?

Acc. to me your build looks much much better than the likes of any Stradivari's.
Not talking about your speakers but I'll take a beautiful sounding but ugly speaker over an ugly sounding but beautiful speaker any day.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back