All the speakers I made - suri

Interesting odyssey..I have a Keiga plate amp as well, the KG 5230, as well as one from Apex Jr (their web site is quite interesting-www.apexjr.com).

I'm in the planning stage of a new project full range towers using Fostex FE 167E drivers) and will start a new thread.

Hi,

Nice to see the final result Suri ;) !! Am sure it sounds awesome ;)!

whereas earlier, the music was a tasty fillet of salmon, now it is a thick KFC chicken leg!

Although I don't understand what exactly you mean by the above,Am a vegetarian :p !!

Btw what happened to the Bangalore visit ??

am so glad to be part of this forum,the knowledge base of the likes of u,soundsgreat

Thanks DOC ;) ! Just trying to be helpful thats all !

Regards

Hi,

Nice to see the final result Suri ;) !! Am sure it sounds awesome ;)!

Although I don't understand what exactly you mean by the above,Am a vegetarian :p !!

Btw what happened to the Bangalore visit ??Regards

Hi soundsgreat,

should be in bangalore in a few days from now - could you please send me a telephone number so i can call you and ask for directions?

Hi,

Hi soundsgreat,

should be in bangalore in a few days from now - could you please send me a telephone number so i can call you and ask for directions?

Yes Sir Done :D !

Please do bring in some of your Fav CD ;)! Looking forward to meeting you and getting a feedback on my setup :)!

Regards.

The right 8 inch driver can go down even to 28Hz, but the excursion is too large and the size of the magnetic gap increases. Larger excursions cause midrange intermodulation distortion, and the large coil size increases inductance. At some point you will trade off bass response with midrange precision.

I however think 8" is the most dangerous size to work with in audio. It is in nether territory, being unusable above 1.5KHz due to off-axis beaming, and the diaphragm is too large to be able to maintain pistonic behaviour above 2KHz. A very stiff cone would lead to a lot of uncontrolled breakup (I assume at ~4KHz). If an 8incher is called on to do midrange duty, one needs a tweeter that can go down to ~1.5KHz, and these are neither easy to find nor cheap.

Not to say that there aren't good 8 inchers, but I'd rather step down to a 6.5" midwoofer for most designs, a good trade-off between bass and midrange precision, and most are usable all the way up to 2-2.5KHz without beaming. For those who require a masseuse, a sub or a built in 10" woofer can extend the response down to the last octave.

Look at this cranky,

at HIRAGA,

Hiraga - The magic of music

Unit : two way coaxial, with 15'' low frequency unit, reinforced die-cast aluminium frame, 3''aluminium ribbon voice coil, open air resonant frequency 30 Hz and high frequency 1''3/4 compression driver coupled to an optimized, controlled directivity coaxial horn with independent magnetic structure.

Low frequency unit efficiency : 100 dB/W/m.

Low frequency unit response : from 40 Hz to 2,6 kHz.

High frequency unit : 1''3/4 compression driver, separate magnetic structure, unit coupled with controlled directivity horn (90H x 40V).

High frequency unit response : from 1,5 kHz to 17 kHz.

like you say, using an 8 incher for midrange duty is taking the dangerous road, but these guys are using a 15 incher to 2.6 khz........?

Hi,

The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Suri,the drivers used by Hiraga,are the current version of the Legendary Altec Lansing Duplex drivers.

Great Plains Audio's Two-Way Loudspeakers

DUPLEX

There is a reason that Shindo,Hiraga,Yamamoto et all use Vintage drivers in their products and it is simply because that they sound like music as opposed to HIFI.

As the late Gordon Holt has often mentioned in the quest for higher power handling and better measurements modern designers seem to have lost the plot.

Stereophile: Getting the Notes Right (Midrange Madness)

Stereophile: Down With Flat!

Members interested in listening to listen to these and other vintage speakers/Drivers(Tannoy/Vitavox/Altec/RCA )with the vintage amps.(which do not have perfect measurements:) ) are welcome.

Regards
Rajiv

Ah yes, but the same pudding may not be to everybody's taste, is it not?

Hi,

Agreed.

And it helps pass the time of day and makes for friendly debate and airing of opinions(on the virtues of ones choice of pudding) on days when work is slow.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
after a brief period of hesitation (mulling the merits/demerits of 2.5 (full BSC) and 2.0 systems) - have started work on my next project called "Witches of Ecstasy":) - it will be a two-way (probably using scanspeak drivers) with attempt at baffle step compensation (with the help of gifted friends)

here i post pictures of the initial work -

the end result would be an approximation to a floor-standing Sonus Faber and i will use leather somewhere! (need suggestions for a source in two months time)

still reluctant to build a single driver design until i have absorbed the many facets of knowledge needed:sad:

You have obviously already selected the drivers and designed the crossover, or you wouldn't have done the cabinets, right? It's extremely difficult to do the process in reverse - if not impossible.

actually, this is what i did- at the madisound website

"Before Ordering a LEAP Design-

What drivers are you using? They must be Madisound stock items.

What are your box volumes? Do you wish us to determine them for you?

How are the drivers mounted? Are the drivers surface mounted, or routed into the cabinet for a flush mount?

What slopes would like like us to use? Which slope would you prefer? 6dB, 12dB, 18dB, or 24dB? Would you prefer we help you chose?

What quality of inductors would you prefer? We will model using the DCR of the coils."

i had, already, an idea of how i wanted the loudspeaker cabinet to look like and an idea of the internal volume.

i specified scanspeak 18W/8531G 7'' and scanspeak D 3004/6600 tweeter.

asked for 6 db slopes and asked for the best inductors they had.

man said he had all the information he wanted, and that an e-mail would be coming my way.

the last time we did this, after the loudspeaker was finally done, IIRC, some component of the cross-over was changed here and there was a change (the vocals were brought a little bit closer).

sonus faber has/had a model with two-way scanspeaks and the volume size is (almost) the same - calculated from pictures and diy sites on the web - so looks like the crossover modeling can be done for these two drivers in that cabinet that i designed (that took inspiration from an older design of sonus faber)

Last edited:
Hey Suri
One of your speaker looks like inspired from B&W Nautilus. Great work. BTW, how much have you spent on your DIY till now? 5 Lacs?
suri.:clapping:

Hey Suri
One of your speaker looks like inspired from B&W Nautilus. Great work. BTW, how much have you spent on your DIY till now? 5 Lacs?
suri.:clapping:

hi rams1977,

it was inspired by the nautilus - i used to be a great fan of bowers and wilkins, till i actually heard the 802D - and then realized that B&W lay too much store by their midrange transducer and the diamond tweeter.

on the other hand, every sonus faber that i have heard (3) sounded so right, and i figured that the magic was due to the scanspeaks they used.

i have not heard the wilsons yet, but since they also use scanspeak drivers, they are probably just as good.

of late, sonus faber uses some other drivers, but i have no doubt that the parent organisation (Tymphany) has a hand in the manufacture of those drivers.

regards

they look really Cool !. all the best

I have always wondered on the benefit of the leather on the SF speakers. maybe this is a good time to find out ;)

some more pictures during construction of "Witches of Ecstasy" -

the entire construction uses individual layers of MDF . and the photographs show the concept. - so, in a sense, the flat side of the mdf board is not used to create the housing - the 3/4 inch sides of the MDF are what one sees outside and from the inside of the housing.

this picture shows how the bottom section of the speaker will look like from the front (this part is the "Volume Part" of the housing and the two drivers in another housing will be conjoined topside to form a calculated "whole volume" housing)

Fantastic DIY's . Great work Sir. Would love to listen to those marvellous creations . Waiting for your new product reports :D. Good Luck.

the "Witches of Ecstasy" are finally taking shape and paying homage to "Liuto"!!:D

Last edited:
the "Witches of Ecstasy" are finally taking shape and paying homage to "Liuto"!!:D

Bellisima!:clapping:

Looks beautiful, exotic. Hopefully will sound heavenly too with the scanspeak drivers.
And besides all these beautiful speakers, I see you have a classy set of 4 wheels, OHC! Vtec? :licklips:

Bellisima!:clapping:

Looks beautiful, exotic. Hopefully will sound heavenly too with the scanspeak drivers.
And besides all these beautiful speakers, I see you have a classy set of 4 wheels, OHC! Vtec? :licklips:

hi iaudio,
thanks!

yes that is a ohc vtec - i like this car!

and here are pictures of the final shape of the "W.O.E."!

Mr. Bharathan = master carpenter = there will not be another like this man!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back