All the speakers I made - suri

@all,decided to visit suri today to reacquaint myself with the wenches(oops,witches :lol:) of ecstasy,at kannur.a short drive later in the belting rain,and i found myself sitting on his couch,waiting for the magic to begin.those who have read my noob review on the witches of ecstasy previously would have noted just how impressed i was with them then,in their delivery of sonics.

true,the trace of sibilance i found before,was attributed more i felt to room reflections and the very nature of the scanspeak drivers.suri,being the consumate diy-er found that too nagging an issue,and proceeded to wheel them in for some 'surgery'.must say,they still look out of this world,and the trimming of the front baffle seems to have done a few things.

playing diana krall,pink floyd,i suddenly realised,that the witches now sounded very,very smooth.much more than before.the excess energy at the top end of the spectrum seemed so much more in control as compared to earlier,a very fatigue free attribute indeed.i loved them then,now even more.the vocals,still very in ur face/raw,seems to have been reigned in so to speak.every other attribute remains,the well rounded and articulate bass(of course helped by his TL sub),and the treble much more contained.detailed and yet,on a leash.with my cat5e cables they sound very,very,good indeed.a well rounded 150kg behemoth,capable of delivering the smallest nuance in a recording,with all the slam and balance as any good speaker should.suri seems more than happy with them now,and as i mentioned to him,my spending a few more hrs of qlty time with them would have only highlighted their strengths more.oh well,had to get back home,and after a great lunch by the beach,found myself bidding adieu.suri,u have a gem of a speaker there.thanks for having me over,hope u enjoyed the drive in my car as always,and my upgraded ICE as well!!!cheers

Which model scanspeak tweeters is being used here.
From my experience, if implemented correctly, scanspeaks are never bright. They are infact the opposite of bright ! They have the capability of extracting the minutest details from your recordings without being bright at all ! One of the main reasons why classical/ Jazz listeners prefer scanspeak tweeters.

Which model scanspeak tweeters is being used here.
From my experience, if implemented correctly, scanspeaks are never bright. They are infact the opposite of bright ! They have the capability of extracting the minutest details from your recordings without being bright at all ! One of the main reasons why classical/ Jazz listeners prefer scanspeak tweeters.

hi square_wave -

the tweeter is D3004/6600 -
ScanSpeak D3004/6600-00 Textile Dome, AirCirc from Madisound

and yes - the sibilance (and brightness) was entirely due to faulty design of the front baffle surrounding the tweeter.

regds
suri

Last edited:
Hi Suri,
Have you tried different caps for the tweeter? What's your take on the sound now?

hi grubyhalo - i was pretty sure that the fault lay in the fact that the baffle surrounding the tweeter was excessive -

and corrective surgery (reducing the front baffle around tweeter) -

the sound is impressively smooth

i have not had too much experience with different makes of capacitors - to know how much of a difference a (superior) cap will make - and so - hesitant to spend money -

perhaps, some day i will try cap-rolling!

regds
suri

Oh no, I understood that the baffle was messing with the tweeter sound. I meant, after the surgery. If you like a bit more 'butter' in your sound, I was thinking you'd be interested in reading up on Jupiter Beeswax HT caps. Ofcourse, it's just a thought from my head and nothing more...

Hi Suri,

How did you arrive at such a large baffle for the tweeters ? :) Did you design this speaker ground up ?

On caps, Someone I know who works extensiveley with scanspeaks like auricaps.

Hi Suri,

How did you arrive at such a large baffle for the tweeters ? :) Did you design this speaker ground up ?

On caps, Someone I know who works extensiveley with scanspeaks like auricaps.

hi square_wave -

this speaker i designed ground up.

was 8 months in the making-

do you like the way it looks?

regds suri

hi square_wave -

this speaker i designed ground up.

was 8 months in the making-

do you like the way it looks?

regds suri

Great. I really love the way it looks.:)

The curiosity was due to the unusually wide baffle around tweeters.
These days I have been giving a lot of attention to cabinet design and how it affects the final sound. I have come to believe that the cabinet design is as important as the choice of drivers and crossover design.

Even in designs which are balanced (balanced sound across the spectrum), I can still hear the box.I dont know what to call it. For ease of use I want to call it the baffle effect. This happens even in designs which are very inert and of solid construction. This can come in between you and the music. With very well designed speakers, this effect is very minimal and other aspects of a well executed design will surpass this problem and hence one may not notice it much.

the final avatar of the " Witches of Ecstasy"

latestavatarofwoe019.jpg

By witchesofsound at 2010-09-24

latestavatarofwoe017.jpg

latestavatarofwoe018.jpg

note - the speaker cables are "high-end" L&T 2.5 mm square copper

Last edited:
ha,finally!!!!!!there u emerge :yahoo:!!!!!!where have u been suri?ur presence here has been sorely missed.welcome back :)

the wenches are looking good indeed!!!!a trip there is long overdue eh???cheers

It seems that Suri has finally unlocked himself from his secret speaker build location! Maybe he did not want to waste any time as soon as he got back from 'Bengaluru Audio Yatra', what with all the ideas & inspirations he must have got from auditioning so many speakers ;)

W8ing to get an opportunity to land @ his place & blast some METAL from his Witches!!!

Suri, pls enlighten us all on the 'Gaddha' shaped object jutting out from the binding posts :D

ha,finally!!!!!!there u emerge :yahoo:!!!!!!where have u been suri?ur presence here has been sorely missed.welcome back :)

the wenches are looking good indeed!!!!a trip there is long overdue eh???cheers

hehehe!

rallynut - i was attending to aesthetics - i followed your bidding!!:)

hi captrajesh, denom, rallynut,

they sound good now-

latestavatarofwoe032.jpg

By null at 2010-09-25

latestavatarofwoe028.jpg

By null at 2010-09-26

latestavatarofwoe027.jpg

By null at 2010-09-25

latestavatarofwoe030.jpg

By null at 2010-09-25

surissilverbismarkedbink.jpg

By null at 2010-03-18

surissilverbismarkedbinem.jpg

By null at 2010-03-18

surissilverbismarkedbine.jpg

By null at 2010-03-18

@denom - the brass ball between the silver binding posts is grounded and is meant to prevent the speaker wires from picking up stray radiation (since they take parallel paths here)-
it is also very strongly attached and prevents damage to the silver binding posts (since it projects backwards beyond them)

Last edited:
@ Suri Sir
How about an art exhibition of your speakers in local art gallery?
Least this art is ""usable" and can be used in different ways ( Listen,Feel and See)

suri,they have truly morphed into wenches :lol:!!!unobtrusively,mesmerisingly seductive in their present avatar.very nice.i miss that sound,and the drive to ur place.long overdue visit,if only our roads were a little better :mad:.

oh,the 'SBT' looks like something out of a jules verne novel :).heh.

Ah good to see suri back in action with his wenches in tow... Look good with their new 'figures' the wenches. And glad to hear you're happy with the sound now! :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back