Allo digione signature

Still, I don't see any problems with the RPi, because i can access the volumio web interface, browse through songs, web radio and even play them. But the DAC simply doesn't detect audio fed into Coax in. I tried, resetting volumio to factory defaults, reconfigured the controls, reconnected the power supply and digital audio cables, but still no luck.

How old is your Dac?

I can think of following ways

1. Ensuring that in setting the i2s dac option is enabled troubleshooting

2. Switching with different cablss
. Flashing with the older interconn of volumio and seeing if things
3. need to rule out the possibility that the coax interface is free from a developed problem. In case you have a CdP or any other source that also output over coax and can be tested with your Dac that would be ideal.

How old is your Dac?

I can think of following ways

1. Ensuring that in setting the i2s dac option is enabled troubleshooting

2. Switching with different cablss
. Flashing with the older interconn of volumio and seeing if things
3. need to rule out the possibility that the coax interface is free from a developed problem. In case you have a CdP or any other source that also output over coax and can be tested with your Dac that would be ideal.
DAC is possibly 10 years old. And this one has undergone mod: Cullen stage III. I'm not the first owner.

Yes, I have selected Allo Digione under I2S option of volumio GUI.

I'm yet to try using a different RCA coax cable. The current Belden 1694A is a new cable, infact i haven't disturbed the connection since installed.

Also I currently don't have a CD player or other source to test the digital coax input of the DAC. I'm planning to use a different RCA cable tomorrow and will also get a fresh copy of either Volumio or Moode downloaded and written to the SD card.

Attachments

• IMG-20200418-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20200418-WA0016.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 24
DAC is possibly 10 years old. And this one has undergone mod: Cullen stage III. I'm not the first owner.

Yes, I have selected Allo Digione under I2S option of volumio GUI.

I'm yet to try using a different RCA coax cable. The current Belden 1694A is a new cable, infact i haven't disturbed the connection since installed.

Also I currently don't have a CD player or other source to test the digital coax input of the DAC. I'm planning to use a different RCA cable tomorrow and will also get a fresh copy of either Volumio or Moode downloaded and written to the SD card.

you can also try BNC to rca adapter to check the BNC output from digione.

The big problem with both Digione Sig and the USB Sig is the pathetic mobile phone USB-C power pin. It would have been better if they had given a more solid power connectivity.
I am looking for a way to hack the board to wire the input to better connectors.

Regarding digione with Shanthi, the 3 amp output should power the RPI board and the 1 amp the digione board (marked as clean).
If you wire the other way, it will lack in current capability, in my case it does not even boot if wired the other way.

Yes...battery sounds better, but you will have to keep it charged minimum above 50% all the time depending on the its amperage. After that the performance begins to drop and becomes very evident from around 35-40%.
Hi Kannan,
I have placed an order for Allo digione signature player with a battery pack also.Can you please suggest good batteries that can last for more time (nearly 4 hours) without dropping below 50%? Can rechargeable 3.7volt/ 3200mah batteries be used in the battery pack and what will be the output voltage of the battery pack if 4 cells of such batteries are used to fed the clean side ? Moreover what is the min. & max. voltages that can be fed to the clean side ?I appreciate your valuable time.
Thanks

How much of a difference is there between Digione and Digione Signature? Is it a huge noticeable one?

MaSh

Can you please suggest good batteries that can last for more time (nearly 4 hours) without dropping below 50%?
I can provide a temporary answer since I do not use the battery pack but s power bank.

I suppose voltage drop is how the power banks measure the amount of available and usable charge in them. Going by this rule and observing the LED indicators on them, my Mi 20,000 mah power bank on one full charge goes to 50% after more than 10-15 hours of usage at least and self decay/drain is also not significant. I do make sure that I do not use it for any other purpose to keep charge and discharging cycles under check.

@Imtiaz Ahmad the recommended ones are the 18650 batteries. But they will need special charging gear and cannot be used with the normal rechargers.
These batteries should be good for more than 72 hours on a full charge. Some geeks recommended the unprotected models, but I strongly discourage from safety point of view.

I think we will see many old digiones on sale, unbelievable what allo has come up with. Difference is not subtle when compared with old digione. Its improved on all fronts. Only one complain, music has become little bright that's because of clarity I believe, will get used to it I think. Tight slap on extremely pricey equipment that companies sell these days.

Hi
Use a good SPDIF cable like Audioquest, the brightness will disappear, my Digione sounded initially bright but now it is a bit mellowed.

Why are we not recommending a good linear power supply? Just curious to know if any issues with LPS, a friend of mine uses one which sounds so good.

Guys,

Need your help and inputs.

I am currently using my laptop to stream music from Spotify, Amazon music and YouTube music.
I want to free up my laptop from the streaming duties and wanted to buy a cost effective streamer and thats how I landed upon Allo.

I have read some reviews and seen some youtube videos and still I have some questions for which I need help from you guys.

I understand Allo has a DigiOne Signature player which supposedly is ready to be used out of the box. I see this player
currently available here https://www.fabtolab.com/digione-signature-player.

I am assuming that this has the Raspberry Pi module upon which the Allo stack is built on.

Although the player version is ready to be used to be out-of-the-box, it still says that I need to buy another PSU.

Does this player support WiFi?.

Also in the above page (fabtolab), the default player costs Rs 17k but there seems to be addons.

Should I buy the 32GB version of the eMMC card for additional 1k?. Is it necessary?.

Also if I go with Volumio as the OS, how would I configure it to play Spotify, Amazon Music and YouTube?.
Do I have to pay additional subscription to Volumio to stream from Spotify, Amazon Music and YouTube?.

I think Volumio has a webinterface and an app to control it. How would I be able to configure Volumio to
stream from the above said platforms?.

Sorry for lot of questions, I am trying to make sure that if Allo would meet my needs before spending money on it.

The case is Rs 530, the additional 5v PSU is Rs 530. So these 2 along with the player which is Rs 17328, sums up to
a total of Rs 18388 is sufficient to make it work for my streaming needs?.

Thanks for your time and help.

Amazon Music cannot be played natively on Volumio nor any other such player as API is not available. YouTube is no more supported directly in Volumio. Spotify, yes, but I think you need a paid subscription.
With the other popular MoOde OS you need a renderer like bubble pnp to stream Spotify or Tidal or youtube.
The third option is LMS running over picoplayer. LMS has native plugins for YouTube, tidal amd Spotify.

The fine option is to run a systemwide audio plugin kike TruBlue and stream everything including Amazon music.

I Will try to answer some of your questions:

Although the player version is ready to be used to be out-of-the-box, it still says that I need to buy another PSU.

I am not sure if you already have a DAC. Because you are going to need a DAC to connect with it. No Analog outputs.

Does this player support WiFi?.
RPI does have wifi but its recommended to use wired connectivity to get better result.

Also in the above page (fabtolab), the default player costs Rs 17k but there seems to be addons.

Should I buy the 32GB version of the eMMC card for additional 1k?. Is it necessary?.

It's not necessary. as per the product page you a 16GB microSD card would be included. I guess eMMC is provides faster speed.

Also if I go with Volumio as the OS, how would I configure it to play Spotify, Amazon Music and YouTube?.
Do I have to pay additional subscription to Volumio to stream from Spotify, Amazon Music and YouTube?.
Kanan answered it.

I think Volumio has a webinterface and an app to control it. How would I be able to configure Volumio to
stream from the above said platforms?.
Kanan answered it.

Sorry for lot of questions, I am trying to make sure that if Allo would meet my needs before spending money on it.

The case is Rs 530, the additional 5v PSU is Rs 530. So these 2 along with the player which is Rs 17328, sums up to
a total of Rs 18388 is sufficient to make it work for my streaming needs?.

You will need a DAC. If you are planning to use local Audio files, a NAS setup or LMS would provide you a better experience.

Thanks for your replies @Kannan and @vizeta.

Yes I have a DAC so thats not a problem.
Wired network connectivity will not be an option, so WiFi is a must.

Sounds like the DigiOne can be used as-is only for streaming songs from local storage/NAS and not from internet platforms.

My primary usage would only be Spotify. I rarely use YouTube and Amazon Music these days. Even then looks like I still need
to buy Volumio subscription.

@Kannan can you please provide more information on the trueblue plugin option, Google search didnt show me any results.

Not still sure if Allo DigiOne signature player is the one for me.

@Kannan can you please provide more information on the trueblue plugin option, Google search didnt show me any results.
Sorry, some typo...it is tuneblade, http://www.tuneblade.com/

Ofcourse you can use bluetooth to stream everything aswell. pi-4 supports bluetooth version 5.
Another even simpler option for you will be a good quality bluetooth based streamer/DAC like Auris BluMe HD which has good reviews.

https://theauris.com/products/auris-blumehd-true-hi-fi-bluetooth-music-receiver

It is available via amazon.

Last edited:
Thank you @Kannan.

So do we need to install tune blade on top of Volumio OS that would come with the digione player?

I am little hesitant on using Bluetooth as I am not sure if I would get the same SQ as I would otherwise get if the digione streams. Not sure but maybe someone who has done some tests can chime in.

Tuneblade is a windows application, you can use to stream music to airply receivers. Here you need to enable Airply on Volumio/Moode and render whatever you play on your windows machine.

OK, I see 2 options.
1) Get something like auris and use Bluetooth to stream from laptop or phone.

2) Get digione with Volumio, enable airplay on it and use it as a renderer. Install tune blade on laptop and use it to stream to Volumio.

Between the 2 options which has a superior SQ?. Is Volumio airplay along with tune blade stable or are there teething issues?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back