Allo digione signature

I was able to run digione with volumio. Since volumio screen provides which i2s dac to select.
I have also dietpi in another SD card. Where to go and tell dietpi to set digione as soundcard?

Some correction. Seems like allo does not have drivers for operating system "Raspian".
If we install DietPI or Volumio or Moode etc, the drivers for digione are present.
But if we have "Raspian", the drivers for digione are not present unfortunately.

So the question is why did you prefer wifi dongle over the onboard wifi of RPi? Have you tried it before buying dongle? Btw is it RPi 3 or 4 on your Digione?

Ther reason why I am asking, I have a RPi4 based player running MoodeAudio and streaming web radios and Spotify without any hiccups using the onboard wifi.

Thanks.
Hi Premoddev,
I don’t know if the one I have is Rpi 3 or 4. Any suggestions on how to find out?
i have a Rpi based Swara DAC and use a wifi dongle to connect and play.

I got the Allo Signature as I wanted digital output to my DAC (Swara has analogue out ) I assumed it would require a wifi dongle like the Swara. I realise this has a built in wifi radio only as you mention it :rolleyes:
Please do guide on how to set it up using the built in wifi
Thanks for pointing this feature out.

Hi Premoddev,
I don’t know if the one I have is Rpi 3 or 4. Any suggestions on how to find out?

I got the Allo Signature as I wanted digital output to my DAC (Swara has analogue out ) I assumed it would require a wifi dongle like the Swara. I realise this has a built in wifi radio only as you mention it :rolleyes:
Digione with RPI4 may have micro HDMI out instead of standard HDMI.
If possible, just run an ethernet cable to the unit
Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Premoddev,

Hi, as @raghupb mentioned from the look we can identify it's 4 or 3. If it's 4, you can see 2 micro hdmi ports where as in 3, there is only one normal hdmi port. Also the power input is USB 'C' in RPi 4B, where as it is micro usb in RPi 3B or 3B+.

In this case it should be either 3B+ or 4B, but both having inbuilt Wifi, so that should not be a problem at all.

Hi, as @raghupb mentioned from the look we can identify it's 4 or 3. If it's 4, you can see 2 micro hdmi ports where as in 3, there is only one normal hdmi port. Also the power input is USB 'C' in RPi 4B, where as it is micro usb in RPi 3B or 3B+.

In this case it should be either 3B+ or 4B, but both having inbuilt Wifi, so that should not be a problem at all.
Apologies for this. I have attached a couple of pictures.
Going back to the original question- does this have built in wifi? If so should I follow the same steps as I did with the dongle? (

Attachments

• 1D043AF2-B907-4423-8421-21A49573E9AA.jpeg
    1D043AF2-B907-4423-8421-21A49573E9AA.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 720337FD-61AB-4F64-A136-50BD84C8693F.jpeg
    720337FD-61AB-4F64-A136-50BD84C8693F.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi,
I got a digione signature @ three weeks ago. I use a wifi usb dongle to connect it wirelessly.

I am not technically proficient and @shyamv kindly showed me the process. I will try to recall these below.

These dongles cost somewhere between a couple of hundred to Rs.800 : plug it into one of the 4 USB ports and connect to your router using a CAT5 cable.

Open network settings on your phone or computer and add the Digione signature (wifi password will be needed as also the IP number)

Once it’s connected you can remove the wired connection and it will connect to the wifi dongle. open volumio on your phone/tablet/computer screen (should be on same network) select the wireless connection option and you are good to go.

My wifi connection is adequate and I don’t experience any dropout or issues. i have found the SQ consistently better than BT.

Airplay, Audirvana both work with this.

Hope this helps.
Which version of rpi is it. 3 and above comes with inbuilt wifi

They do have RPi4B as well on Digione Signature player, option is there to choose between 3B+ and 4B on their website. May be they are trying to sell it off their stocks with 3B+, unless the customer ask for specific version.

They do have RPi4B as well on Digione Signature player, option is there to choose between 3B+ and 4B on their website. May be they are trying to sell it off their stocks with 3B+, unless the customer ask for specific version.
I asked RPi3B+ because it had standard HDMI and got RPI 4 with micro HDMI
No worries though, I don't have to use the HDMI port for setup/operation.
Just used a wired ethernet and got in through IP address.

Cheers,
Raghu

Okay, but I guess if you would have ask them, they should have replaced with a 3B+ model. Yes, for our use, we don't need to attach monitor and keyboard for initial setup, through Wifi or Wire it can be done.

Some correction. Seems like allo does not have drivers for operating system "Raspian".
If we install DietPI or Volumio or Moode etc, the drivers for digione are present.
But if we have "Raspian", the drivers for digione are not present unfortunately.

One update:

Raspian (Raspberry Pi OS)
Since two days i was continuously trying to fit digione signature on the normal operating system of raspberry pi which I had. But somehow it was not working. I tried add entry to /boot/config.txt file with dtoverlay=allo-digione but not working. Then I thought drivers were not present then I took the driver files from volumio drivers (from 2nd sd card) and using SFTP tried to put those files in the folder /proc/modules/....asound etc but still did not work. I also upgraded the raspbian from command line but still did not work. Alsamixer also failed. Somehow the digione audio card was not getting detected.

Then by chance i reinstalled a fresh version of Raspbian. Then the single main step - add entry to /boot/config.txt file with dtoverlay=allo-digione, did the tricky finally.

Why i was after Raspian even though in another card volumio was working with digione signature.

In general i have observed that volumio sounds a little thin in my setup. This is not just for digione but even before that when i used to have the output from usb, it used to sound a little thin and little fatiguing after some time.
My interest was mainly in Airplay and not playing from usb. The shairport sync which is present in both volumio and raspbian, used to sound different. The sound of airplay from raspbian is natural, the way it should sound. Hence from two days i was continuosly after getting digione working with raspbian so that I can use airplay, instead of airplay of volumio.

This might be helpful for those who want to compare sound of airplay from normal raspbian vs volumio.

Very good upgrade for digione signature. Sounds clean and dynamics are good. How is about usbridge signature anybody used both digione and usbridge. Any updates.

I'm using 1.7m coax cable to connect between signature and DAC,

Which coax cable do you use?
I am currently using a normal RCA cable for this purpose. And i am not sure whether changing to a true coax digital cable (of 75 ohms) would make an improvement in the sound.

One update:

Raspian (Raspberry Pi OS)
Since two days i was continuously trying to fit digione signature on the normal operating system of raspberry pi which I had. But somehow it was not working. I tried add entry to /boot/config.txt file with dtoverlay=allo-digione but not working. Then I thought drivers were not present then I took the driver files from volumio drivers (from 2nd sd card) and using SFTP tried to put those files in the folder /proc/modules/....asound etc but still did not work. I also upgraded the raspbian from command line but still did not work. Alsamixer also failed. Somehow the digione audio card was not getting detected.

Then by chance i reinstalled a fresh version of Raspbian. Then the single main step - add entry to /boot/config.txt file with dtoverlay=allo-digione, did the tricky finally.

Why i was after Raspian even though in another card volumio was working with digione signature.

In general i have observed that volumio sounds a little thin in my setup. This is not just for digione but even before that when i used to have the output from usb, it used to sound a little thin and little fatiguing after some time.
My interest was mainly in Airplay and not playing from usb. The shairport sync which is present in both volumio and raspbian, used to sound different. The sound of airplay from raspbian is natural, the way it should sound. Hence from two days i was continuosly after getting digione working with raspbian so that I can use airplay, instead of airplay of volumio.

This might be helpful for those who want to compare sound of airplay from normal raspbian vs volumio.
Never tried the Raspbian OS that you are trying to get it running. I have had issues with volumio library as my primary source is 2TB HDD. Volumio would take hours to scan through files, and list only few songs. I switched to Mo0de audio and haven't experienced the same issue related to the library management.
Some of my friends say, they find Mo0de better than volumio as far as SQ is concerned. But for me, there could be minor differences that my ears didn't catch. If you have a spare SD card, write Mo0de audio and check if it sounds similar to raspbian.

Which coax cable do you use?
I am currently using a normal RCA cable for this purpose. And i am not sure whether changing to a true coax digital cable (of 75 ohms) would make an improvement in the sound.
I am using Belden 1694A, 1.7m custom terminated by FM @Kannan . I have to admit, I insisted him to do this length, even though he was suggesting for a shorter cable. Belden 1694A that i have is a single solid core stiff cable, has good shielding properties against interferences.
I tested 1694A against Belden 8541, Mogami 2803, and two more RCAs. But I found 1694A adding some warmth to the mids and bass. Seeing these benefits, i ordered a pair of shorter length from Kannan to be used as RCA interconnects as well.

Very good upgrade for digione signature. Sounds clean and dynamics are good. How is about usbridge signature anybody used both digione and usbridge. Any updates.
Its Really Good Product from allo.. U need to try with too.. U can have an option of getting USB, RCA as well as Coaxial input with US-Bridge Sign+Digione Sign Player..

Its Really Good Product from allo.. U need to try with too.. U can have an option of getting USB, RCA as well as Coaxial input with US-Bridge Sign+Digione Sign Player..
Thank you sir but as a standalone player how far usbridge signature is different from digione signature player and what about the sound quality.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back