Amazon Fire Stick 4K

chander

Couple of questions, as I am diving into this to limit usage of the PC for every application.

1 - Can I hook this up to the HDMI port of my AVR instead of the TV? Is there any issue in that?
2 - Can I use Tidal with this?
3 - Is it really that much better than the earlier gen non-4K firestick?

Thanks!

Couple of questions, as I am diving into this to limit usage of the PC for every application.

1 - Can I hook this up to the HDMI port of my AVR instead of the TV? Is there any issue in that?

Thanks!
1. Yes. No issues.
2. If there is an app available for it
3. Go for the 4k unit. Why go for older?

MaSh

Hey @MaSh thanks a ton for the quick reply! On #2, I have been searching online a lot, the problem is Tidal has an app for Amazon fire stick, however, as Tidal is not available in India, I can't really find any link on how to side load it :D. Was wondering if anyone here has done it before! If it is possible, this is a 100% buy!

If you already have a tidal account, it should not be a problem for accessing the same..but if you need to create new login, please follow the below thread..

Thanks @premoddev I do have a tidal account. That settles it. Just wanted to know as I have no experience with the amazon ecosystem at all.

Thanks a ton again!

Ok, I don't have a direct experience of Tiadal on FireTV stick, but if there is an app, it should be simply straight I guess..

@premoddev and @MaSh a big favor please, whenever you get an opportunity and if you have a fire stick, can you please check if Tidal exists? I do not want to waste money, as tidal is a big requirement to work. Thanks a ton! Don't feel obliged if it is inconvenient. Thanks regardless.

Thanks!
You want to use Tidal with Firestick on an AVR. Why?
For all what Tidal claims to be, Firestick/AVR can become the weakest link.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hey @raghupb, I already have 2 systems where any serious listening happens. This is my HT setup, which has also become my temporary COVID office. I have a PC attached here, where I can run the Desktop app for masters, this is just for convenience, when I want some tunes running in the background while working. I find running the PC for everything quite cumbersome, keyboard and all that, you get the gist.

If you have an MI phone , then tidal app can be downloaded from MI store . I am using this as a alternative to the Tidal app in PC

@palu I have Tidal on my pixel 4XL, FIIO M11 and PC. I was using a Chromecast before this and an apple tv before that. I ran into a lot.of.problems with the apple tv, and my Chromecast just died. The reason I decided to give firestick a try is for 4K, HDR capability which Chromecast ultra has that I can't get my hands on right now. The reason I ask for the ability to natively run the app and not casting it, is because casting thru Chromecast, tidal and Spotify both sounded bad, however as Spotify had a native app available, the difference in quality on Spotify between casting and running natively was quite drastic.

PS :correction -"however as Spotify had a native app available" - on my earlier samsung smart TV I had the spotify Native App - not installed in the Chromecast.

Last edited:
@chander Looks like Tidal app is not available on FireTV stick here, I guess its because Tidal is not Officially available in India yet. Also found the below link, which says the app should be "casting" like spotify connect and not like native app.

@chander Looks like Tidal app is not available on FireTV stick here, I guess its because Tidal is not Officially available in India yet. Also found the below link, which says the app should be "casting" like spotify connect and not like native app.

Looking at the link shared, it seems like Tidal app does exists on Amazon app store. However if someone who owns FireTV stick can try the workaround of changing country to US on your amazon account (ref video below) & re-login on FireTV, see if you get routed to US Amazon app store for Tidal app download. Just thinking aloud, don't know if it will work, but it's worth giving try by someone who owns FireTV 4k.

Cheers,

Last edited:
@premoddev and @MaSh a big favor please, whenever you get an opportunity and if you have a fire stick, can you please check if Tidal exists? I do not want to waste money, as tidal is a big requirement to work. Thanks a ton! Don't feel obliged if it is inconvenient. Thanks regardless.
Sorry, will not be able to check on my Firestick 4k as I am not at home. Not sure when I would be back.

MaSh

No worries @MaSh , I took the plunge! I should have it this thursday and by the weekend I will let you know whether or not it is possible.

No worries @MaSh , I took the plunge! I should have it this thursday and by the weekend I will let you know whether or not it is possible.
U can sideload the app in firestick. ( check internet for downloader/troypoint ) in the procedure.

However the app will b equal to mobilephone version and not PC version. U can get hifi/master quality upti 48 khz. Only from PC app u can get the first unfold of MQA done and get 96 khz/ 192 khz master tracks.

You can either sideboard Tidal apk to Firestick or Download if form Amazon marketplace. But you need a US Amazon account for that since Tidal is not available in Indian marketplace. On a side note, since Firestick supports upto DD+, you might not be able to enjoy their Master recording due to bandwidth limitations of DD+.

Thanks @Pons & @OM_2K19 I understand the limitation on non desktop version, I just need it as background music player.

Thanks @OM_2K19 I wasn't aware of the option to sideload. This is the direction I was looking for.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back