amazon.uk - free shipping to india

I had ordered 2 blu-rays from Amazon UK, it was shipped on 7th & was delivered today! So it was delivered on the 5th day (not counting the Sunday in between)

Didn't pay any customs :yahoo: During checkout I had marked it as gift & on the parcel at the customs declaration information also it was marked as "gift". Also even though I have selected the option of not disclosing the value of the shipment during checkout (since it was a gift to myself ;)), the value was printed on the customs declaration sheet pasted on the parcel.

Also the the currency conversion on my ICICI credit card was Rs. 75 per pound for this transaction.

The total value of my purchases were 33 pounds but during the checkout it was reduced to 27.48 pounds, I think they removed the VAT since it was an international shipment.

Hope these info is helpful for all your future Amazon shopping! :thumbsup:

over the last 6 months or so i have been frequently ordering dvds and cds from amazon uk. normally shipping comes up to 25% of the total cost. but today got a mail from them that shipping is free to india (for books,cds, dvds) till may mid. so whoever is interested ...

very noble of you to share this info with the others
thanks

Didn't pay any customs :yahoo: During checkout I had marked it as gift & on the parcel at the customs declaration information also it was marked as "gift". Also even though I have selected the option of not disclosing the value of the shipment during checkout (since it was a gift to myself ;)), the value was printed on the customs declaration sheet pasted on the parcel.

:

Marking as gift usually increases final price(I tried with earlier order)& so I didnt tick it.

Ordered two vinyl records on 20th March on Amazon UK.
Order despatched - 1st April
Estimate delivery date - 26 April.
Were delivered today - 12th April. :clapping:

Marking as gift usually increases final price(I tried with earlier order)& so I didnt tick it.

If you go for gift warping then it is charged but just to mark it as gift is not charged, at least it was not for me (for all my previous purchases from Amazon US & UK)

I have not received my stuff yet . The delivery date was April 20th.
I guess I am paying price for that free shipping thing..its frustrating.

This is going to be my last purchase on Amazon.

you can contact them and they will dispatch another one.
as far as the wait is concerned, its expected. one should purchase from amazon and be prepared for some wait.

I have not received my stuff yet . The delivery date was April 20th.
I guess I am paying price for that free shipping thing..its frustrating.

This is going to be my last purchase on Amazon.

Dont worry,I wrote to amazon in same situation.My expected date was 4April,I wrote to amazon,they told to have patience & within 2 days I received the parcel.

Ordered 3 BDs (Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Kick Ass) from Amazon UK on 14 April, 2011 with Free Super Saver Shipping.

Total Cost: GBP 20.77 Est. Delivery Date: 14 May, 2011.

Marked as "Gift" to my wife :)

Actual Delivery Date: 26 April, 2011 by postman Package and BDs intact

I was charged a total of Rs. 247 (Postage Due Rs. 217 + Customs Rs. 30) as charges incurred.

On the whole I think it was good deal :)

BTW: "Amazon.co.uk offers FREE Super Saver Delivery to the following countries (offer ends May 15, 2011): Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa."

Make the most of it!

Last edited:
Nice. Was it shipped via Royal Mail ? why the heck postman is in the picture ? I thought It will get delivered by private courier company..

If it is delivered by post office folks then it explains why I havent received mine yet .

Nice. Was it shipped via Royal Mail ? why the heck postman is in the picture ? I thought It will get delivered by private courier company..

If it is delivered by post office folks then it explains why I havent received mine yet .

Yes it was through Royal Mail. My wife collected the pack while I was at work. I am guessing it was the postman because the bill for customs/postage was from Indian Post & Telegraph Dept.

I think all methods of delivery other than Priority International Courier goes through the grubby hands of our Postal service. I learnt it the hard way and have always ordered from Amazon US through Priority Courier. (Max. 5 days and fully trackable). But this free super saver shipping offer was irresistible. Plus my refund of the Import Fee Deposit from my earlier Amazon US order covered the costs of the BDs in this order :)

Last edited:
Ordered 3 BDs (Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Kick Ass) from Amazon UK on 14 April, 2011 with Free Super Saver Shipping.

Total Cost: GBP 20.77 Est. Delivery Date: 14 May, 2011.

Marked as "Gift" to my wife :)

Actual Delivery Date: 26 April, 2011 by postman Package and BDs intact

I was charged a total of Rs. 247 (Postage Due Rs. 217 + Customs Rs. 30) as charges incurred.

On the whole I think it was good deal :)

BTW: "Amazon.co.uk offers FREE Super Saver Delivery to the following countries (offer ends May 15, 2011): Australia, India, New Zealand and South Africa."

Make the most of it!

Hey Jay doesn't one require to make minimum purchases of 25 to be eligible for free shipping to India? Your cost of purchase is just 20.77..

Well I have made two orders..one of 26.06 with shipping date of 26th April and estimated arrival date for same of 19th May

Made another one of 33.59 with shipping date given as 3rd May and estimated arrival date for same of 23rd May

Fingers crossed now...I hope I am as lucky as you too n get them early with minimal fuss abt customs!

The List price was GBP 16.00 (Batman) + 8.99 (Kick Ass) But at final checkout I think VAT was reduced and the order went through anyway and who am I to argue? :)

Another instance of prompt service from AmazonUK:
Ordered as a trial run, three blu-ray titles through Free Super Saver Shipping on 22nd Apr. Price reduced after VAT component was removed. The site showed that it would be delivered by 15th May, but it was shipped on 24th Apr through Royal Mail and the postman delivered it at Bangalore on 30th Apr without any extra charge. All discs are pretty intact and played well. I am impressed!!!

In my case , they have dispatched it again ( after one month ) through royal mail but standard shipping with no extra charge. EDT is May 24th.

I understand that PAL/NTSC does not apply to Blu-Ray (supposed to be 24p). This should ideally mean that (region free) BDs imported from UK will play on Region A BD player.

Can anyone confirm this? I have a Region A BDP and I am thinking of ordering some BD titles from Amazon UK.

BTW, I made some comparison between Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. My comparison (on the titles that I was interested in) showed that:
  • Amazon UK BD titles were usually single disc only whereas USA site offered BD+DVD+Digital Copy or BD+DVD, etc.
  • Amazon UK is not necessarily cheaper. For example:
    • Clash of the Titans (2010)
      US = $10.99 (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
      UK = 7.99 (Blu-ray + DVD)
      Analysis: US slightly cheaper and better deal
    • G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
      US = $20.49 (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
      UK = 9.99 (No Digital Copy)
      Analysis: UK cheaper
    • Ghost Rider/Hancock
      US = $19.99
      UK = (sold separately) Ghost Rider: 6.99, Hancock = 7.99
      Analysis: UK costlier
  • But Amazon UK ultimately becomes much cheaper because of free shipping.

The List price was GBP 16.00 (Batman) + 8.99 (Kick Ass) But at final checkout I think VAT was reduced and the order went through anyway and who am I to argue? :)

Haha ofcourse! Lucky fella :clapping:

On May 1st amongst few more blu-rays I purchased Winter in Wartime (Dutch movie) which was priced GBP 10.50 then they further reduced VAT on it like rest...but PLEASANT SURPRISE was the fact that when they dispatched the blu-ray batch yesterday the price had fallen and I was charged GBP 5.50 for the same ...:yahoo:

I understand that PAL/NTSC does not apply to Blu-Ray (supposed to be 24p). This should ideally mean that (region free) BDs imported from UK will play on Region A BD player.

Can anyone confirm this? I have a Region A BDP and I am thinking of ordering some BD titles from Amazon UK.

BTW, I made some comparison between Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. My comparison (on the titles that I was interested in) showed that:
  • Amazon UK BD titles were usually single disc only whereas USA site offered BD+DVD+Digital Copy or BD+DVD, etc.
  • Amazon UK is not necessarily cheaper. For example:
    • Clash of the Titans (2010)
      US = $10.99 (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy)
      UK = 7.99 (Blu-ray + DVD)
      Analysis: US slightly cheaper and better deal
    • G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
      US = $20.49 (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
      UK = 9.99 (No Digital Copy)
      Analysis: UK cheaper
    • Ghost Rider/Hancock
      US = $19.99
      UK = (sold separately) Ghost Rider: 6.99, Hancock = 7.99
      Analysis: UK costlier
  • But Amazon UK ultimately becomes much cheaper because of free shipping.

Hey mate leave these n check the UK prices of box sets of Godfather Trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy and Bourne Trilogy and compare them with the highly priced US versions...n nope theres no Digital Copy or DVD extras copies in both versions...

I suggest u guys buy the trilogy sets from UK Amazon...I purchased Bourne Trilogy which was priced at GBP 17.93 but during final checkout then subtracted the VAT and made it GBP 14.94 and if the Pounds to Rs. conversion rate is roughly Rs. 75 then I managed to buy it for Rs. 1120...now aint that a steal?

Hey mate leave these n check the UK prices of box sets of Godfather Trilogy, Pirates of the Caribbean Trilogy and Bourne Trilogy and compare them with the highly priced US versions...n nope theres no Digital Copy or DVD extras copies in both versions...

I suggest u guys buy the trilogy sets from UK Amazon...I purchased Bourne Trilogy which was priced at GBP 17.93 but during final checkout then subtracted the VAT and made it GBP 14.94 and if the Pounds to Rs. conversion rate is roughly Rs. 75 then I managed to buy it for Rs. 1120...now aint that a steal?
Agreed. But I said in my post, Amazon UK is not necessarily cheaper. As regards to the titles that you mentioned, I own all those, albiet on DVD. I may buy these sometime in the future but right now my priority is to purchase the titles that I don't own.

Anyway, my comments on prices were just 'postscript'. My original question is about ability of a region A BDP to play (region free) blu-ray discs from region B. My US-made Sony BDP-S350 does not play DVD's from region 2. Using DVD-Shrink, I converted a few to Region-0 (PAL). Still the discs would not play. This is because the discs are still PAL.

I have read that BD's being HD do not have the NTSC/PAL legacy. HDMI is digital. But before buying from Amazon UK, I would like to be sure.

p/s.
The Sony BDP is not modifiable easily. Stegen asked me to ship the player to them for modification.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back