amazon.uk - free shipping to india

Awe :( thats far too much too do n spend!!!..does Sony make region free player at all? Damn!!!
Thanks for the reply mate :)
No. Sony does not make a region-free BD player. For that matter, none of the standard brands such as Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Oppo, etc. make region free BDPs. But some brand players such as Panasonic's BDP-45/60, etc. are "easier" to mod.

The only region free BD player I have heard is Sherwood 5004.

The only region free BD player I have heard is Sherwood 5004.

One has been reserved for me by muks1224:D
http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/17854-sherwood-bluray-player-bdp-5004-relisting.html

Off the topic. Can somebody please explain how to buy items like blu-ray discs from amazon? Do I need a credit card? Can I use my debit card instead? (I know how to do this with shopyourworld. But they won't ship to my local address. So i used a pin number of cochin yto register.)

I'm planning to order the following Blu Ray's:
The Godfather Collection
District 9
Aliens Anthology
Matrix Triology

Any take on these blu ray's. Any comments on the quality etc are welcome...

Thanks,

two of the orders i received with free shipping, the post woman didn't charge me any customs at all - unlike in the past instances i had to shell out everytime. maybe due to the total cost being lower? hmmm ...

Off the topic. Can somebody please explain how to buy items like blu-ray discs from amazon? Do I need a credit card? Can I use my debit card instead? (I know how to do this with shopyourworld. But they won't ship to my local address. So i used a pin number of cochin yto register.)
You can register yourself on Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com. The same registration works on either website. Once registered, search the titles you want and add them to shopping cart. Only Amazon.co.uk is shipping free to India and that too till May 15. Total order value should exceed 25 to be eligible for free shipping.

Custom duy is a sort of pot luck. You should ideally split your orders into small values of less than equivalent INR 4000 and mark it as a gift (to yourself or your wife/family member). Then possibly (?) you may not have to pay customs.

If your Debit Card has the Mastercard/Visa logo (which it will usually have), I suppose that Debit Card will also work. But Credit Card is a surer bet.

I'm planning to order the following Blu Ray's:
The Godfather Collection
District 9
Aliens Anthology
Matrix Triology

Any take on these blu ray's. Any comments on the quality etc are welcome...

Thanks,
Quality is at par with international standards.

You can register yourself on Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.com. The same registration works on either website. Once registered, search the titles you want and add them to shopping cart. Only Amazon.co.uk is shipping free to India and that too till May 15. Total order value should exceed 25 to be eligible for free shipping.

Custom duy is a sort of pot luck. You should ideally split your orders into small values of less than equivalent INR 4000 and mark it as a gift (to yourself or your wife/family member). Then possibly (?) you may not have to pay customs.

If your Debit Card has the Mastercard/Visa logo (which it will usually have), I suppose that Debit Card will also work. But Credit Card is a surer bet.

Thanks for the reply. Super Saver Delivery has been extended up to August 15.:D
Amazon.co.uk Help: Super Saver Delivery to Other International destinations

This is very good to hear. :)

Some of my thoughts:
- Even with customs duty, the price will work out cheaper than buying from India
- The listings on Amazon.co.uk are typically a single disc set; usually missing extra discs such as DVD, digital copy, etc.
- But the greatest issue (for me) is not all discs are marked region free and I don't have a region free/region B BDP (as yet)

I hope that Amazon.com also starts a free shipping scheme. If that happens, I may run into Credit Card Debt.

Last edited:
I've bought a few BD's off a forum member who bought it from AmazonUK. All of them are region free. (ABC printed on the cover). Usually only BD's from USA are given as A (region1). Guess you have to risk it buying from AmUK. Why dont you send them a mail to find if the BD's in your basket are region free?
Regards

I was trying to order the Alien Anthology Blu Ray, but then just had a check on the region coding... nothing is mentioned on the web page.

Alien Anthology [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, Michael Biehn, Lance Henriksen, Winona Ryder, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet: DVD

Guys, do you have any idea on the region of this blu ray, will it play in India.

Any info...
Alien Anthology is from 20th Century Fox. As per my experience, Fox releases most movies with region code. Hence it could be region coded (B in case of Amazon UK). However this site claims it to be region free.

Alien Anthology Blu-ray (United Kingdom)

Having said that, I have the Alien Quadrology in DVD format. In my opinion, only the first two movies are really worth the money. The next two are quite a lot of drag. But that's my side. :) But at 19.98 (incl VAT) that is not a bad price to pay for the whole set.

Alien Anthology is from 20th Century Fox. As per my experience, Fox releases most movies with region code. Hence it could be region coded (B in case of Amazon UK). However this site claims it to be region free.

Alien Anthology Blu-ray (United Kingdom)

Having said that, I have the Alien Quadrology in DVD format. In my opinion, only the first two movies are really worth the money. The next two are quite a lot of drag. But that's my side. :) But at 19.98 (incl VAT) that is not a bad price to pay for the whole set.

Thanks a lot for the information. The link makes it clear that it is region free. Anyways, I had a online chat with the customer care of amazon and they will confirm me in 2 days. Once it is confirmed I shall go ahead and order it.

BTW, the price after vat reduced is 16.65 so that's about Rs. 1250/- looks like a steal, if I am lucky with customs.

Thanks a lot for the information. The link makes it clear that it is region free. Anyways, I had a online chat with the customer care of amazon and they will confirm me in 2 days. Once it is confirmed I shall go ahead and order it.

BTW, the price after vat reduced is 16.65 so that's about Rs. 1250/- looks like a steal, if I am lucky with customs.

Yup I had ordered earlier the Alien Anthology for 17.99 before VAT which later became 16.65 ...All r region free!

Yup I had ordered earlier the Alien Anthology for 17.99 before VAT which later became 16.65 ...All r region free!

Have you received the blu ray set? Did you pay any customs charge? Howz the quality? How many days did it take to reach you?

I created my amazon account and tried sbi debit card (maestro). It didn't work.:sad: I think an international debit card or credit card is needed. Seriously thinking about applying for a credit card.:D

Have you received the blu ray set? Did you pay any customs charge? Howz the quality? How many days did it take to reach you?

Quality ranges from awesome to good thru all the 4 parts...

I received in 11 days flat thats a good 10 days earlier than their estimated delivery date back then..

I didn't have to pay a single rupee custom duty...I had ordered the Alien Anthology and da acclaimed Polish film Katyn blu-ray...my total final bill was 26.06...i was just delivered the amazon package by local postman...

Well like someone rightly mentioned in this forum..don't order in bulk from Amazon UK to avoid custom duty...guess 3-4 blus at a time shud do the trick :)

I created my amazon account and tried sbi debit card (maestro). It didn't work.:sad: I think an international debit card or credit card is needed. Seriously thinking about applying for a credit card.:D

They don't even accept ICICI Bank debit cards...both UK and US Amazons :mad:

Do the mentioned debit cards work for shop purchases or cash withdrawal abroad?

My Axis Visa card does ... but ISTR seeing something about having to do something extra if I want to use it online?

Placed an order for these 2 blu rays on the 13th May:

1. The Godfather Collection
2. District 9

But the dispatch date is somewhere around 23rd to 25th May and delivery estimate is 10th to 16th June.

I was hoping to order the Alien Anthology + Planet Earth in the next purchase but my previous order has not been dispatched. Wondering if it will escalate further.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back