amazon.uk - free shipping to india

over the last 6 months or so i have been frequently ordering dvds and cds from amazon uk. normally shipping comes up to 25% of the total cost. but today got a mail from them that shipping is free to india (for books,cds, dvds) till may mid. so whoever is interested ...

Do you have to pay the customs or Amazon takes care of that too ?

Nooooo!!! Damn it! I just completed an order on Amazon US for a few Blu Rays when I saw this post! No way to cancel it now :( Loss to me Rs. 2000/- ( I only order thru Priority Courier, its safer and quicker)
But i think If you minus the Import Fee Deposit/Customs and that GBP is costlier than USD and the fact that you get the goods within 5 days whereas with Super Saver shipping all bets are off once the goods are in the hands of our loving Bharatiya Post!
Looks like I will have to cosy up to the missus to clear some UK expenditure ;)

though the coversion rate of the pound is higher than the dollar, the prices of dvds and cds are cheaper in the uk - so amazon.uk has cheaper prices than amazon.com. i have ordered a lot of stuff from amazon.co.uk and it is delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. but i ordered on amazon.com and it takes 2 months for it to get here. yes, you have to pay customs - the postal person normally collects it. it is around 25% of the cost of your order.

Thanks guys..just ordered one Live Concert Blue-Ray's and 3 DVD's...Have marked it as gift, neva now may evade the custom duty...hoping they come by in few weeks.

There seem to be a lot of items that Amazon and/or its traders simply will not ship outside UK. Why they are so restrictive, I do not know. Maybe it is simply inheriting the American policy of globalisation: but only when it suits us.

I think its for all the items. Is that true?

Amazon site says
Does everything on the site qualify for FREE Super Saver Delivery?

All eligible items that qualify for shipping to these destinations--Books, Music, DVD and Video--also qualify for FREE Super Saver Delivery. However, gift certificates and items purchased from third-party sellers on Amazon.co.uk Marketplace are not eligible.

Now, I think it means only Books, Music, DVD and Video (that includes BD's also). I still doubt that any other things can be shipped here.

I still doubt that any other things can be shipped here.
A few months ago I got some spare parts for a Braun mixie; a year or so ago, I got a washing-machine spare. For each and every thing, if you really want to buy it from Amazon UK, you have to check and see. It either accepts your despatch address or tells you it can't be done.

Yesterday I ordered some stuff from Amazon USA. I bought a hefty and expensive CPU cooler. Whilst I was at it, I wanted a couple of case fans by the same company, and suspected that adding a couple of light-weight items probably wouldn't affect the despatch charges that much. The order for the CPU cooler went straight through, whilst that for the fans, on three different listings, got "This item cannot be despatched to your default address".

Tedious.

though the coversion rate of the pound is higher than the dollar, the prices of dvds and cds are cheaper in the uk - so amazon.uk has cheaper prices than amazon.com. i have ordered a lot of stuff from amazon.co.uk and it is delivered in 2 to 3 weeks. but i ordered on amazon.com and it takes 2 months for it to get here. yes, you have to pay customs - the postal person normally collects it. it is around 25% of the cost of your order.

I have 5 orders which have been dispatched by Amazon UK between 22/02 and 28/02 with the free super saver delivery.I have received one of the later orders on 4/03.Took less than a week.The rest are still awaited.What would be a reasonable time for receiving the rest?Have all your orders arrived safe and sound?I am asking because my first order arrived in perfect condition but it was in an unsealed parcel and came through the local postman.I have one parcel coming from Amazon US through standard shipping,dispatched on 27/02.Tracking is available on this order,but beyond that I have no idea whether it will reach on the expected date of 15/03 or sooner or later.

I have 5 orders which have been dispatched by Amazon UK between 22/02 and 28/02 with the free super saver delivery.I have received one of the later orders on 4/03.Took less than a week.The rest are still awaited.What would be a reasonable time for receiving the rest?Have all your orders arrived safe and sound?I am asking because my first order arrived in perfect condition but it was in an unsealed parcel and came through the local postman.I have one parcel coming from Amazon US through standard shipping,dispatched on 27/02.Tracking is available on this order,but beyond that I have no idea whether it will reach on the expected date of 15/03 or sooner or later.

Hi Ajay,
From my experience you may receive the items even after 3 months by Indian Post.

That is how the things work at Indian Post. Things gets messed up when the senders postal service handover the items to Indian Post at the regional Foreign Post Office in India.

There were instances in the past while I was living in Pune where I had to make multiple visits to Foreign Post Office in Mumbai to get my items out. One item worth $350 with shipping and insurance which I thought lost in the transit by USPS I was able to recover it after 1 year bribing the officials at the Foreign Post Office back in 2007. The insurance wouldn't work as the USPS tracking shows its been handed over to Indian Post.

One item which I bought on UK ebay in 2008 dispatched by Royal Mail have been delivered to me after 3 months :D

Though the missing item has insurance once the USPS or Royal Mail records show the item has been handed over to Indian Post the insurance will not work as their job is to hand it over to Indian Post and not to the customer.

Hi Ajay,
I think you don't need to worry about the items. Till date I've ordered quite a few packages and all reached me safe and sound. Yes, some of the packages might be opened by the customs but it used to be random check. you can expect max 3 weeks of delivery time and even though if you don't receive them you are safe with your deals with Amazon as they would send you a replacement if the item gets lost in transit. Atleast that's have been my experience till now. And yes, items will be coming via Indian Post only. I had to go to the post office to collect the items myself if the items come with custom duty stamped.
And that reminds me that I need to order a few things soon..
Regards,

ajay
my two cents
i had ordered a bluray trilogy and it was never delivered to me by the 'expected shipment date'.. so i informed that to amazon and they shipped it again.. the only thing they'd ask is not to accept in case you receive the same shipment the second time (this could be the original or the second shipment)

ravi d,konfused,jitubisht
thank you for your prompt replies.
if amazon backs up lost parcels with a
fresh replacement then i may still keep ordering from
them in the future!
otherwise i think it would be better to wait until i visit
Europe and then buy and carry back music.
I have ordered a total of 66 cds from amazon including
box sets and individual ones.i have received 7 out of these.
over the years i have trained my mind, to some extent, to
not be shattered by the slings and arrows of outrageous
fortune but i will be disappointed if anything from
the rest of the 59 cds goes missing :sad:

I have 5 orders which have been dispatched by Amazon UK between 22/02 and 28/02 with the free super saver delivery.I have received one of the later orders on 4/03.Took less than a week.The rest are still awaited.What would be a reasonable time for receiving the rest?Have all your orders arrived safe and sound?

I ordered 2 sets of CDs from Amazon UK. Received the 1st set after 10 days of purchase. One of the CD case is cracked, but the CD is in proper condition fortunately. Lets see when the 2nd set arrives.

My sister in UK ordered the complete Harry Porter series for GBP 33.99. The free shipping to India was by DHL and it reached Mumbai in 4 days!!

I have received 4 out of the 5 parcels from Amazon UK safe and sound.The earliest parcel dispatched on 22/02 has still not arrived.As the estimated date mentioned by Amazon is 15/03,I intend to wait until then before contacting them to try and locate the parcel.However,since all the later parcels have arrived in roughly 10 days,I am a little worried about the first parcel which has 17 CDS.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back