AMD processors Vs Intel

oldmonk

Hi

Was looking to buy a few laptops for office use but travel friendly

These are only for Sales persons.

Any suggestions on AMD processors Vs Intel ?

AMD is noticeably cheaper ...any drawbacks which one should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

AMD was never a strong player in the laptop segment. In the past, their laptop processors were notorious for overheating/drivers/stability issues. Off late, they are trying to make a comeback in the laptop segment with their newer line of processors (Ryzen 4000). But how they will perform in the field is yet to be seen. Intel is tested and trusted on the Laptop segment for decades.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks in advance.
No. AMD processors are currently the best processor in the market especially when you consider the price to performance ratio. The Ryzen series, based on the Zen architecture beats the equivalent Intel processors. Go for their gen 4 Ryzen series for destop / laptop processors.
Currently I have my PC built on Ryzen gen 2 processor - Ryzen 5 2600x.
No drawbacks as of now... Go for it..

AMD was never a strong player in the laptop segment. In the past, their laptop processors were notorious for overheating/drivers/stability issues. Off late, they are trying to make a comeback in the laptop segment with their newer line of processors. But how they will perform the field is yet to be seen. Intel is tested and trusted on the Laptop segment for decades.
I agree they had issues pre 2000. After their Ryzen line up they beat Intel hands down for the past 3 years.. Even Sony Playstation and other major laptop and going for AMD now. Their fabrication process is based on 7 nm compared to Intel's 13nm that's means they can pack more transistors into the die and provide better performance..

I suggest you to check the latest trend in the processor market...

Totally agree
Before ryzen , amd had issues. Now its a different story and intel is sort of playing catch-up.
No one expected tide to turn so quickly

I agree they had issues pre 2000. After their Ryzen line up they beat Intel hands down for the past 3 years.. Even Sony Playstation and other major laptop and going for AMD now. Their fabrication process is based on 7 nm compared to Intel's 13nm that's means they can pack more transistors into the die and provide better performance..

I suggest you to check the latest trend in the processor market...
I second you, their Ryzen line of Desktop processors offers an excellent VFM and giving Intel a run for its money. However, when it comes to Laptop, well, Intel is still the King. It's true AMD is leaving no stones untouched to replicate the success story they had with their Desktop Ryzen line. But it's yet to be seen/proven and only time will tell. As of now, Imho, Intel (especially the i7 line) the un-beatable.

The 4xxx/5xxx series Ryzen laptop processors are good on both performance and battery life. The earlier Ryzen laptop processors were good in performance but not competitive in battery life. Even now if you want the very best battery life, Intel keeps the lead. Most people dont need extreme battery life so Ryzen is "good enough"on that front with 4/5 series. On performance alone, Ryzen laptop processors are clearly better than Intel currently.

That is the purpose of this thread...to seek experiences given their new line of processors
Indeed... No matter what brand/processor you go for, pick something which is tested/trusted, at the end of the day you need a hassle-free operation so that your sales team can concentrate on their core job ($$$) rather than spending time with IT to fix their laptop issues. :)

It depends upon the processor family and the generation - so, which specifically were you comparing?

Edit: I missed the part about the target users. IMO, what you should be looking for is:
  • Battery Life
  • Form factor
  • Weight

If it were me, I'd buy a business class laptop from Lenovo powered by an older generation Intel i5 [for the price vs. performance] running W10 and with a minimum of 8 gigs of memory. Oh, and extended warranty. That's all that is needed for sales persons.

Last edited:
It depends upon the processor family and the generation - so, which specifically were you comparing?

Edit: I missed the part about the target users. IMO, what you should be looking for is:
  • Battery Life
  • Form factor
  • Weight

If it were me, I'd buy a business class laptop from Lenovo powered by an older generation Intel i5 [for the price vs. performance] running W10 and with a minimum of 8 gigs of memory. Oh, and extended warranty. That's all that is needed for sales persons.
Thank you

in your experience what would be a good budget for an i5 + 8 gigs RAM + portable + good battery ? about Rs 30k to 40k ?

yes - the laptop is intended to be carried by a sales person

Hi

Thanks in advance.
For most of the office need both are fine just try to grab 1 with ssd, ssd tremendously improve performance.

Hi

Thanks in advance.
If you are ok with Mi laptops, then this one will work perfectly, looks great, well built, very light and would work great for the reasons that you are buying them for

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Currently AMD processors are dominating the intel chipsets in terms of performance and value , the newly released AMD 4600H and 4800H outperform the I7 counterparts and supposedly run much cooler. I recently upgraded my desktop to a 5600X and seem to work really well with my multitasking habits.

I also picked up a laptop with a I7 Configuration which supposedly heats up quiet a bit during gaming sessions or video/cpu intensive usage. But I have not got a chance to dig deep and confirm on the same.

Hi

Thanks in advance.

You can safely go for the AMD now. They have come a long way from their previous heating issues . Besides generally they give more performance than the Intel equivalent which are also relatively more expensive. I also am researching on a Laptop since I need to buy one for work purpose. The one I have zeroed on is a HP laptop with a Ryzen 5, 4600 H processor which is supposedly better than an Intel i5 10th gen & gives close performance to an i7, plus it runs very cool.
You have many sleek laptops on the HP & Dell site. You can go to their online store & chat with them to clarify any queries. IMO it is safer buying directly online rather than a store. Sometimes Flipkart or Amazon may end up being slightly cheaper though.
My experience was only with these 2 brands. Other FM's can chip in with other brands.

HP online store

Dell online store

I've spent 14+ years with Intel and Nvidea , a month back the whole thing had changed to AMD and Radeon. Yes initially a bit skeptic ( though I know AMD is beating intel hard these day ) to my surprise the bottlenecking is least than what I had with Intel+Nvidea :)
Trust me AMD is as good or better to intel. Their processors are factory unlocked unlike Intel charge more for unlocked ones.
I'm a happy AMD user now.

You can go for either AMD or Intel , just check what offers more in the same price band. However, If you want a little change in life go with AMD :D

Thank you all...

I looked at a HP laptop for rs 32k with Ryzen 3

Ryzen 5 starts at @45k and goes beyond my budget for a sales persons laptop.

Equivalent i3 was at @ rs 37k

It seems the Ryzen 5 range is out of budget for me

The Ryzen 3 was a 4 core at 2.1 ghz clock while the i3 was a 2 core with 1.9 ghz clock

Will keep you posted with what I end up choosing.

Which generation r3 and i3 are important considerations. The newer i3 have hyperthreading so threads will be double of cores. The 2nd and 3rd gen r3 have power issues.
Thank you all...

I looked at a HP laptop for rs 32k with Ryzen 3

Ryzen 5 starts at @45k and goes beyond my budget for a sales persons laptop.

Equivalent i3 was at @ rs 37k

It seems the Ryzen 5 range is out of budget for me

The Ryzen 3 was a 4 core at 2.1 ghz clock while the i3 was a 2 core with 1.9 ghz clock

Will keep you posted with what I end up choosing.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back