Amp for Quad 12L2 Suggestions please!

Shyamtanu

Dear All,

I have bought a pair of the above mentioned speakers and intend to use it for pure stereo listening, as I have a dedicated HTiB which I want to leave the way it is. Now the question is, for a moderate level listening (I think I have sensitive ears that do not like thumping sound of base drums) of Celtic Music, Ghazals, Instrumentals like Yanny and indian classicals like Ravi Shankar, Ustad Vilayat Khan and the likes and very occational light rock music, and of course RD Burman sort of music forms a major part as well.
With that in view I think Maratntz will be best suited. Is that right? Secondly, which model of amp should I go with (this is purely for power requirement to drive them well.. these drivers are wonderful... do not want to expose them to clipping or half feeding), listening distance will be roughly 7 feet from the front of the speakers. I have a spare Norge 2060 driving them at the moment, they are under powered for sure as the sound gets boomy and muffeled even at the slightest hint of dynamic urgency/loud passages.

Many thanks in advance. I would also need help for CDP and where to buy in Pune :)

Regards,
Shyamtanu

Last edited:
Hi:

Congrats on the Quad. For your needs, you can't go wrong with the Marantz PM6003 and also the matching CD6003, and you're all done for a very long time. IMO.

:)

Hi:

Congrats on the Quad. For your needs, you can't go wrong with the Marantz PM6003 and also the matching CD6003, and you're all done for a very long time. IMO.

:)

I have been searching the combo like hell... but everyone says they are out of stock :sad: Thanks.. I shall post the photu in this thread -

http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/8665-post-your-latest-av-purchase-s-69.html

Just wondering if 7003 is what I would need looking at continuous power rating of the 12L2 (100w) and the moderate efficiency. One piece of observation, they really shine with good recording (extremely huge soundstage and out of the world tonal quality)... but sound equally dull with old/noisy stuff... actually once you hear how good they can sound, average recordings just become sad in front of them, since you will know what these boxes can do... brilliant sound to say the least. I shall share the selection process in the above mentioned thread, it may just help any other person.
will await more opinions, and also where to get 'em?

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back