amp for Usher S520 speakers

anilnadgeri

Hi folks, first of all wish you a happy new year.

I am looking for NAD amp for my new Usher S520 speakers. Need some help to figure this out. This is my first hi-fi setup and I am quite new to all this.

NAD - 315BEE or 326BEE

Do I need 326 here or 315 would give sufficient power. My room size is 11X17 feet.

Also what would you recommend w.r.t denon i.e. PMA510 or PMA710
Appreciate your help !!!

Cheers,
Anil

I use an NAD C320BEE (which is not dramatically different from the 326) and I find it to be a good match, but I do get the feeling these speakers would shine better with better amplification. Whether the 315 would do would depend on how big your room is also.

I am looking for NAD amp for my new Usher S520 speakers. Need some help to figure this out. This is my first hi-fi setup and I am quite new to all this.

NAD - 315BEE or 326BEE

Do I need 326 here or 315 would give sufficient power. My room size is 11X17 feet.

Appreciate your help !!!

Cheers,
Anil

If you listen for long hours the NAD will provide fatigue free listening experience. The 326 is a good choice. 315 would be outdated.

Mind you the price of 325 I got in Singapore was 16K with VAT (even lesser with VAT refund). So be careful how much you pay for it locally.

Regards

locally it'll be more like 25k for the 326

If you listen for long hours the NAD will provide fatigue free listening experience. The 326 is a good choice. 315 would be outdated.

Mind you the price of 325 I got in Singapore was 16K with VAT (even lesser with VAT refund). So be careful how much you pay for it locally.

Regards

Yes..326BEE is 28K..
DENON 510=18K and 710=28K

if there is no significant diff, i may prefer denon 510. Will audition once my speakers arrive..

Any tips ..welcome

the denon should be a good match in theory, they're supposed to have a slightly rolled off sound, somewhat like the NADs, do try and listen to it yourself. Or look for a used amp. I picked up a used NAD C320BEE for 10k and that's good value consiering the 326 is 28k.

Yes..326BEE is 28K..
DENON 510=18K and 710=28K

if there is no significant diff, i may prefer denon 510. Will audition once my speakers arrive..

Any tips ..welcome

You guys make me wince!! Paying 10K extra when that 10K could buy better speakers (edit: or cabling or CDP)!! Ultimately you are still getting a budget system where SQ is never going to be that league where a 10K extra can be forgiven... :sad:

Dont you have local grey market options? :)

Edit: And please not an item so cheap should not attract substantial customs duty even if you import directly for personal use.

Regards

Last edited:
dude gobble, if you don't have a choice what do you do? not everyone can go to Singapore and pick up an amp! So the examination the buyer would need to make is whether within his available means and avenues of purchase, a particular item at a particular price makes sense.

Which is why I was suggesting used. If you do know someone coming down from the US however, you could ask them to bring down a Virtue Audio amplifier. I haven't heard it, but by all accounts it sounds excellent, and I was seeing some hong kong audio forums where the S520 and a Virtue Audio amp are being recommended as the ultimate budget combination.

Grey market again is a personal choice whether you want to be completely legal or not, and it's understandable if someone really wants to be completely legal.

You guys make me wince!! Paying 10K extra when that 10K could buy better speakers (edit: or cabling or CDP)!! Ultimately you are still getting a budget system where SQ is never going to be that league where a 10K extra can be forgiven... :sad:

Dont you have local grey market options? :)

Edit: And please not an item so cheap should not attract substantial customs duty even if you import directly for personal use.

Regards

Which is why I was suggesting used. If you do know someone coming down from the US however, you could ask them to bring down a Virtue Audio amplifier. I haven't heard it, but by all accounts it sounds excellent, and I was seeing some hong kong audio forums where the S520 and a Virtue Audio amp are being recommended as the ultimate budget combination. .

What does this mean?

Virtue Audio. We make audio lovers audiophiles. Better sound by design.

"Some subwoofer cross-overs will destroy the amplifier. Please use the provided line-level subwoofer output. If you need a low-pass filter on the amp, read the instructions below and change the default 2.2uF input capacitors for lower values. "

How can a sub destroy an amp??!!

Regards

Got Denon PMA510 amp finally. Sound was clean and warm. No fatigue even after continuous listening. I understand that these speakers will smoothen further after few hours.

Didnt audition NAD326. I guess i was reluctant to spend 10K more :)

Also no CD player. I am using iPod dock with line-out (not headphone out). All my music is on ipod in lossless format ripped from CD. Some online review says, ipod sound quality is similar to entry level CD player like Denon, Marantaz. (Comparison)

As of now, this setup looks good to begin with. After few months, I will compare CD player with iPod and then decide weather to buy CDP.

Started with 70K budget and I hv spent only 50K so far. So I now have 20K to buy some great audio CDs :)

I would like to thank this forum which helped me a lot through this setup.

cheers

What does this mean?

"Some subwoofer cross-overs will destroy the amplifier. Please use the provided line-level subwoofer output. If you need a low-pass filter on the amp, read the instructions below and change the default 2.2uF input capacitors for lower values. "

How can a sub destroy an amp??!!

Regards

if it's SUBstandard it can SUBvert the amp and SUBstantially damage it.

though seriously i guess there's some reason perhaps a techie might clarify this. interesting...

Got Denon PMA510 amp finally. Sound was clean and warm. No fatigue even after continuous listening. I understand that these speakers will smoothen further after few hours.

Also no CD player. I am using iPod dock with line-out (not headphone out). All my music is on ipod in lossless format ripped from CD. Some online review says, ipod sound quality is similar to entry level CD player like Denon, Marantaz. (Comparison)

As of now, this setup looks good to begin with. After few months, I will compare CD player with iPod and then decide weather to buy CDP.

Started with 70K budget and I hv spent only 50K so far. So I now have 20K to buy some great audio CDs :)

cheers

Hi, now i will give idea to spend that 20 K surplus on electronics to make it better. My idea is only because, you already have all your music in lossless in ipod and u have plans to buy a CD player later. You could continue to go with ipod lossless route, if then, Instead you could buy a ipod transport like Onkyo NS-D1 which picks up the raw digital files from your ipod and transmits through its optical out. Connect it to a DAC like Beresford and connect it to your analogue in of your amp. This is an option because you can get the BEST out of your ipod and also equal or better SQ compared to a 20K cd player in my opinion. Both put together will slightly be higher than 20K.

Both have USB ports and if you are tech savvy guy, it may interest you to play around with other connection possibilities as well.

Look at the specs and you could invest in this option one after the other slowly as well. Enjoy.

A rough estimate of the price in Singapore, not sure of India though.
ONKYO NS-D1 - SGD 350
Beresford DAC 7520 - SGD 350

swami

congratulations. I am personally toying with the idea of buying a Virtue Audio amp without auditioning it. Their 2010 models are available for pre-order at a good discount for two more days. (300 dollars for the Virtue ONE.2) I know it's not a smart idea to buy without audition, but sometimes you just can't and you feel like you shouldn't let a good deal slip away.

Has anyone heard the Virtue Audio amps here?

cheers

if it's SUBstandard it can SUBvert the amp and SUBstantially damage it.

though seriously i guess there's some reason perhaps a techie might clarify this. interesting...

Now you make my mind cross-over into the realm of confusion :lol:

Cheers

Hi Anil,

I plan on buying a pair of Usher S520 speakers after reading lots of good stuf about it on this forum.

Can you give me an idea as to what is the prevailing price of the S520?

Bikram

NAD - 315BEE or 326BEE

Appreciate your help !!!

Cheers,
Anil

24K a pair....ARN Banglore is sole distributor in India.
u can contact [email protected] . If there are any ongoing schemes, he may be able to offer discount.

Hi Anil,

I plan on buying a pair of Usher S520 speakers after reading lots of good stuf about it on this forum.

Can you give me an idea as to what is the prevailing price of the S520?

Bikram

Sounds interesting. Will definately keep this as an option.
Thanks Swami

Hi, now i will give idea to spend that 20 K surplus on electronics to make it better. My idea is only because, you already have all your music in lossless in ipod and u have plans to buy a CD player later. You could continue to go with ipod lossless route, if then, Instead you could buy a ipod transport like Onkyo NS-D1 which picks up the raw digital files from your ipod and transmits through its optical out. Connect it to a DAC like Beresford and connect it to your analogue in of your amp. This is an option because you can get the BEST out of your ipod and also equal or better SQ compared to a 20K cd player in my opinion. Both put together will slightly be higher than 20K.

Both have USB ports and if you are tech savvy guy, it may interest you to play around with other connection possibilities as well.

Look at the specs and you could invest in this option one after the other slowly as well. Enjoy.

A rough estimate of the price in Singapore, not sure of India though.
ONKYO NS-D1 - SGD 350
Beresford DAC 7520 - SGD 350

swami

the denon should be a good match in theory, they're supposed to have a slightly rolled off sound, somewhat like the NADs, do try and listen to it yourself. Or look for a used amp. I picked up a used NAD C320BEE for 10k and that's good value consiering the 326 is 28k.

Psycho,
Where did you deal for getting an used NAD amp?

Psycho,
Where did you deal for getting an used amp?

Hey, Sorry for the replication.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back