Amp left channel has lesser sound than right

akshaye

This thing was freaking me out when I noticed that my amp's left channel produce lesser sound than the right one. Done all the required things by changing wires from left to right and vice versa. Listened sound through headphones. Concluded that amp had a problem with left channel. Now it is with M Z audio, concluded that the problem is with the power board and this was also affecting the tonal control of the sound I.e. sometimes it was lacking treble and bass, sounding flat.

I am not sure if this the real problem, but he said, it is the first time they heard this kind of issue. Anyways he is ready to replace this part.

Can anybody through some light on this? Even I cannot find any related topics on internet.

Thank you

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

This thing was freaking me out when I noticed that my amp's left channel produce lesser sound than the right one. Done all the required things by changing wires from left to right and vice versa. Listened sound through headphones. Concluded that amp had a problem with left channel. Now it is with M Z audio, concluded that the problem is with the power board and this was also affecting the tonal control of the sound I.e. sometimes it was lacking treble and bass, sounding flat.

I am not sure if this the real problem, but he said, it is the first time they heard this kind of issue. Anyways he is ready to replace this part.

Can anybody through some light on this? Even I cannot find any related topics on internet.

Thank you

Its likely to be caused by potentiometer (volume control) issues.
I am sure that's may not be the only issue for such problems though.

Which brand and model you are talking about.
Balance knob is available in your system?
Hope you are talking about integrated amplifier

[emoji41]

Hi akshaye......
Good morning.

There might be a genuine problem in the left channel of your amp or there might not be. Depending on the positioning of your speakers, if the right speaker is closer to a side wall or a rear corner, then it will benefit from room gain, and will sound louder than your left speaker at all volume levels. In order to mitigate it, many amps will come with balance control.

In my setup, my left speaker benefits from room gain, and my sound stage is skewed to the left. And I have to dail the balance control to the right, to get the sound staging bang on centre again.

However, if room gain due to wall / corner proximity is not the issue, then the next thing to check is speaker drivers. Considering that you have been enjoying the sound of your system for a considerable period of time, and suddenly one day you find the left speakers outputting less volume, then i'd check each driver independently to see if all are working. Reduce the volume on your amp to just above barely audible, now put your ear on each driver to see if it is working.

If none of your drivers are blown, and your speakers are equidistant from walls, and considering that all your drivers are in phase, then the problem might genuinely be with your amp. All the best

Well, there is certainly not a speakers issue, as when I listen from headphones, the left channel has the lesser sound than the right one. Even I changed the wires from left to right, and problem shift from left to right speaker, that means that the problem is with the amp left channel only. I have marantz pm5005 amp.

Change/Swap the source cable between Right to Left and check.
How about the response when you are using balance knob with head phone and with speakers

[emoji41]

I had exactly the same problem with my new diy pre-amp. My left speaker sounded less than the right. I disconnected the pre-amp and connected directly to power-amp and the issue vanished.

I had recently replaced the volume control with an ALPS (Original Japan) volume control potentiometer (dual ganged). The left and the right vol pot had a tolerance of as high as 6% giving this issue of incorrect line levels to both channels.

I mitigated this problem by adding a 220K ohm resistor in parallel to the control showing higher value and the problem is completely resolved. Now i get perfect center imaging.

If you are a diy guy, you can try checking the volume control resistance for both the left and right channel and calculate the parallel resistance required to mitigate the issue.

Last edited:
I had exactly the same problem with my new diy pre-amp. My left speaker sounded less than the right. I disconnected the pre-amp and connected directly to power-amp and the issue vanished.

I had recently replaced the volume control knob with an ALPS (Original Japan) volume control potentiometer (dual ganged). The left and the right vol pot had a tolerance of as high as 6% giving this issue of incorrect line levels to both channels.

I mitigated this problem by adding a 220K ohm resistor to the control showing higher value and the problem is completely resolved. Now i get perfect center imaging.

If you are a diy guy, you can try checking the volume control resistance for both the left and right channel and calculate the parallel resistance required to mitigate the issue.
Yeah i know what you mean .thats known thing only if you are DIY guy.
Thats the reason there is a balance knob for Non DIY guys [emoji4].
More over the difference level db matters.
If it is big difference there could be a problem in Amp section if it is negligible no need to worry match with balance knob.IMO

[emoji41]

My pre-amp does not have a "Balance" control and hence adding the parallel resistance was required in my case.

I have tried each and every possible thing before sending it to the service center. Even at service center, the same problem was there with their speakers and wires. So this is confirmed that amp has a problem. I am not sure about which part has the issue though he told me, it's power board. I hope changing this part will also solve the inconsistent tonal quality of sound I.e. sometimes music sounds very flat and sometimes it sounds just perfect. Weird it is.

I have tried each and every possible thing before sending it to the service center. Even at service center, the same problem was there with their speakers and wires. So this is confirmed that amp has a problem. I am not sure about which part has the issue though he told me, it's power board. I hope changing this part will also solve the inconsistent tonal quality of sound I.e. sometimes music sounds very flat and sometimes it sounds just perfect. Weird it is.

That's good. I am sure once its back it'll be singing beautifully.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This issues sounds like a bad connector, dust or static built-up on the pcb. Dont think this will require replacement of the pcb though.

This issues sounds like a bad connector, dust or static built-up on the pcb. Dont think this will require replacement of the pcb though.
I had another post on dust can effect the sound. When my amp was producing flat sound with lesser treble and bass, I cleaned up the huge amount of dust laying over the board. After cleanup, it was sounding excellent. But after few days, I had this another add on issue of left channel.. huhhh..it's been a month now..till then enjoying my new mate sennheiser HD598...still missing marantz though...

I had another post on dust can effect the sound. When my amp was producing flat sound with lesser treble and bass, I cleaned up the huge amount of dust laying over the board. After cleanup, it was sounding excellent. But after few days, I had this another add on issue of left channel.. huhhh..it's been a month now..till then enjoying my new mate sennheiser HD598...still missing marantz though...

Hi,

When you had the dust issue how did you clean it ? Did you use a blow dryer, or a vacuum cleaner

From what i have heard Vacuum cleaners induces static build up ( not sure of this, so could be snake oil) and could potentially damage sensitive electronics

I cleaned up the huge amount of dust laying over the board. After cleanup, it was sounding excellent. But after few days, I had this another add on issue of left channel..

After getting rid of the dust, a generous spray of contact cleaner could have been tried.
Anyway, good luck.

After getting rid of the dust, a generous spray of contact cleaner could have been tried.
Anyway, good luck.
I did not know this, will keep in mind...let's see what happens after part replacement

I did not know this, will keep in mind...let's see what happens after part replacement

Hi,

Is the Unit under warranty ? how much are they charging for the part ?

Back