Amp to drive Wharfedale 9.5s

manav416

Hi,

I was thinking of buying wharfedale diamond 9.5 speakers. I then went to ProFX to audition the Denon PMA 710AE amp. I liked the sound, however the dealer tells me that 710AE cannot drive a floor stander like diamond 9.5. I thus wanted to know about the recommended amplifiers that i can use to drive Wharfedale 9.5 speakers.

My budget for an amplifier is around 30K.

I listen to classic rock like Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, etc.

Thanks, Manav

Hi,

I was thinking of buying wharfedale diamond 9.5 speakers. I then went to ProFX to audition the Denon PMA 710AE amp. I liked the sound, however the dealer tells me that 710AE cannot drive a floor stander like diamond 9.5. I thus wanted to know about the recommended amplifiers that i can use to drive Wharfedale 9.5 speakers.

Thanks, Manav

Diamond 9.5 is an excellent choice.............they outperform the new diamond 10 series!!!

The 9.5 is a good speaker with warm characteristics. Besides Denon in your Budget have a look at Yamaha As500 / AS700. It should be a good match.

Wharfedales sound superb! with an marantz amp r you can try an norge 1000 or 2060!.my marantz pm5003 drove them real well!.
My advice is based on my experience when i owned an wharf 9.5 and paired it with the above mentioned amps.for stereo purpose please be aware as they are rear ported they need a bigger room or else you might end up with an coloured and boomy sound.i sold mine and now shifted to 10.1 for that reason! and use an wharf sw150 for the thump:)

i have a yamaha AS 500 and its a good match. i have also paired it with various other amps. found sansui au 717 and the yamaha one the best match.

haven't tried with marantz though

Hi,

Thanks, Manav

The sensitivity of the speaker is important when considering the required power (amplification). Wharfedale 9.5 is 88db sensitivity. So any amp than can output 80W - 100W consistently will do justice for 9.5. If not it will struggle to drive them.

I have noticed the difference with & without power amplifier. Diamond's need good to very good amplification to make them shine. I own a diamond 9.2. I am using a stereo power amplifier that can output >100W consistently. It sparkles beautifully....

I am looking at Norge 1000 to drive the Wharfedale 9.5

I have been told by my seniors that its the source that has a greater influence over the overall sound quality and i should invest more in a good source than an amplifier.

Based on this i am looking at Norge 1000. I will considering investing the money i save here in a good quality DAC or a CD player.

I will also be auditioning the Yamaha AS 500 in addition to the Norge for my diamond 9.5

The 9.5 is a good speaker with warm characteristics. Besides Denon in your Budget have a look at Yamaha As500 / AS700. It should be a good match.

I am looking at Norge 1000 to drive the Wharfedale 9.5

I have been told by my seniors that its the source that has a greater influence over the overall sound quality and i should invest more in a good source than an amplifier.

Based on this i am looking at Norge 1000. I will considering investing the money i save here in a good quality DAC or a CD player.

I will also be auditioning the Yamaha AS 500 in addition to the Norge for my diamond 9.5

I have a Wharf 9.6 with Norge 1000.So I expect that Wharf 9.5 with Norge 2060 should be great VFM. My combo sounds great, adequate bass as well. I also listen to similar music as you do.

yamaha AVR + Wharfadale 9.5 is a good choice , Make sure that you have a 100W /channel output for a good sound stage and yes place your spekers away from the wall @ a min one foot.

Hi,

Thanks, Manav

I am sure if you would've asked about Denon driving the Wharf 9.1 - he would've recommended it.

Like many other non-technical minded people, your dealer is connecting the size of speaker cabinet to power of the amplifier.
(Bigger looking "speakers" need more power etc)

This is simply not true.
Sensitivity of Wharf 9.5 is more than Wharf 9.1
In fact for most cases the floorstanders exhibit higher sensitivity than bookshelves.

Which means that floorstanders can sound louder even with lower powered amps, compared to bookshelves.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back