Amplifier needs for the hearing imparied

Nagaraj S

Hi All,

Greetings and many wishes for a Happy Diwali!

My father is hearing impaired, whose audio needs (while watching TV) are met by a Siemens pocket hearing aid.

While watching TV, the RCA L-R audio out of the CRT TV was fed to to the pocket hearing aid via a RCA to stereo adapter (the hearing aid takes only a mini stereo pin as input). This scheme was working very well.

We upgraded the CRT TV to a Samsung plasma TV last week. This plasma TV, however does not have a RCA audio out, rather has only an optical digital out.

To fix this, I purchased a small DAC from SP road (cost Rs. 1850). However, the RCA audio out from the DAC is poor with lots of noise. (The DAC looks something like this: Amazon.com: TV Digital Optical Coax to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter 24Bit/192KHz, Includes NEW 6 feet Optical Cable: Electronics )

I searched hard around Bangalore (where I am based) and on the Net for budget amplifier/DAC that takes an optical digital in, and gives a clean RCA audio out (important!)for sensitive equipment like pocket hearing aid, but could not find one.

My budget is under Rs 10k. I plan to connect multiple devices to the TV (cable box, blu-ray player). So, I need to take the audio out from the TV alone.

Please suggest a product or a solution to meet the audio needs mentioned above.

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Regards,
Nagaraj

Last edited:
Since you have not mentioned anything about trying the RCA out from the cable box/DTH directly, I am assuming that you use neither. Do you have a budget in mind for the DAC?

I think FiiO has some good headphone amps with built-in dac. Check if they have optical input.

Since you have not mentioned anything about trying the RCA out from the cable box/DTH directly, I am assuming that you use neither. Do you have a budget in mind for the DAC?

My budget is under Rs 10k. I plan to connect multiple devices to the TV (cable box, blu-ray player). So, I need to take the audio out from the TV alone.

Thanks,

Thanks,

In that case, my bet would be on these, which are around that budget. I would also connect all the devices to the DAC directly, instead going through the TV.

?????

?????

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back