And are you googling for R2R DACs too?

I do it since I have no choice as my dacs limit is 16/48 !. But the Hi-rez files sound excellent even downsampled.
Maybe one of these days I'll compare downsampled at 44.1 with 48 although I guess it may be much different.

I have heard usampled sound and it never appealed, the increase in "detail" was always accompanied by reduced connect in my few experiences. But High Rez in its native format on Dac was very good. if I had a lot of High rez content I wold have gone for it but since 95% of music i listen to are on CDs and some ripped, I am hanging on

..And Analogue definitely has a more emotional connect, but I am afraid we will derail this thread with this talk :)

Hi Arj :)

Even I down sample everything to 16/44.1 kHz via roon. And I have tried playing at their native bit rates of 24/192 kHz. But I couldn't make out a difference. Since my dac has 2 chips. I prefer the classic chip for red book CD format. So I down sample everything these days.

I use a DIY made Soekris r2r DAC (DAM 1021) since more than 4-5 years now with a dedicated Salas shunt power supply. This is just an awesome DAC I have heard and stayed in my setup since then. So if you are into DIY then do consider this one and I think now they have release multiple new versions with the latest being 1941 if I am not wrong. Just make a dual mono or simple power supply like the Salas, and you can easily better a commercial ones more than its worth the cost of the entire build.

I use a DIY made Soekris r2r DAC (DAM 1021) since more than 4-5 years now with a dedicated Salas shunt power supply. This is just an awesome DAC I have heard and stayed in my setup since then. So if you are into DIY then do consider this one and I think now they have release multiple new versions with the latest being 1941 if I am not wrong. Just make a dual mono or simple power supply like the Salas, and you can easily better a commercial ones more than its worth the cost of the entire build.
have you compared ur dac with any renown reputed dac and i have seen the site,they have oem line and audiophile line in which they provide a housing to the dac(this is what i understand after looking the site). where are you located at. Especially after looking the price,its very tempting to own a dac. Ur insight is highly appreciated.

No I have not compared this DAC with any so far. The main reason going with this is that its DIY and based on your budget you can build it with dual mono psu or single psu with whatever cabinet you like it. So I initially build it with a LM317/337 based PSU and then upgraded to a Salas BiB1.1 and currently with Ultra BiB1.3 paired with a dedicated Salas Reflector-D digital side power supply for the I2S dac (Amanero I2S). I am located in Bangalore.

I am also interested in building a DAC using this DAM1021 (the latest version is 1021-12).

Other than the Soekris DAC module board are there any other boards I would need? The website linked below does not have the power supply details so what specs would I need? I was thinking of the Muzgaudio but did not know which to select. I assume I'd need the 6V-12V version but I am not sure. Can you help?

One would also need a PCB that connects the J3 connector to one Coaxial SPDIF input, one Toslink SPDIF input and one LVDS-HDMI input with (Bit CLK, LR CLK, Data, 3.3V, and GND). As well as a 1.2V/3.3V power supply for biasing the coax and the Toslink inputs respectively.

The SPDIF board is detailed here but it looks intense.

I spent some time reading all of these links but am not yet clear

Thanks.

Yes you are on track and I referred to this site - https://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2015/03/16/soekris-dam-1021-r-2r-dac-users-guide/ for building mine initially started with using only the USB (Amanero I2S module) and the power supply being the one our own member @omishra/@Sachin designed using LM317/337 regulators. Later after I got hold off the Salas shunt regulator supplies the 1.1 BiB versions upgraded and no looking back. Some years back upgraded the PSUs to Salas Ultra BiB 1.3 version for which there is a group buy started and if you are interested here is the link - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/322596-gb-salas-sslv1-3-ultra-bib.html
For the optical receiver I got the same one mentioned in the above site and instead of the coaxial being RCA I went with the BNC port because I got the Normuds input selection module for the Soekris dac - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/269943-input-switch-boards-soekris-dam1021-dac.html. But some people got the much better and fully built one - https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ven...-setup-kits-soekris-dam1021-1121-control.html

So based on your appetite you can choose the best one as I guess the normuds one is no more available and I have not heard from that member since long time.

I have successfully brainwashed myself into believing that only R2R dacs will work for me!

So I avidly google Yggdrasil, Spring Holi, Aqua, Totaldac (you know the brands, and for the last one I hope it will magically land at my place).

I disregard reviews of Benchmark 3, Mytek and all sigma delta DACs. Whatever is the nice thing being said about them. No logic beyond a point and not even heard these DACs.

My RATOC works well for me with its 1704 chip. You know how this hobby is though!! (Wonder if there is a cure for audiophilia! Hypnosis you reckon?)

What about you all? And please don’t cop out and say it’s the implementation that counts :) .
What do we mean when we say that it's the implementation of the DAC that counts? For example if we buy one of the ESS sabre DACs for building a DIY DAC, what are the point to be kept in mind when it comes to implementation? Do the settings of the sabre have to be configured in a specific way to make it sound good and are there any books / literature which have information on this topic. I'm thinking of a DIY CD player / DAC build and am interested in knowing more about this topic.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back