Any Comparison - Belden vs DAC brand 14 awg

Mayank Shah

Do share your thoughts on the differences if any between Belden and DAC brand 14 AWG speaker wire. Cheers.

Try the Dac pcocc speaker cable if you get it In smaller lengths and not the whole roll

Else I would prefer belden

Thanks. The mart doesn't seem to have the pcocc model. I have got a few metres of the dac 14 ofc (as it says), yet to check. I maybe looking at approximately 40 feet for my front LR. Any idea, where to get belden? Cheers.

Try the Dac pcocc speaker cable if you get it In smaller lengths and not the whole roll

Else I would prefer belden
I am afraid that POCC cable is not far better than other DAC cables soundwise.DAC xstream cable infact sounds much better and bigger than pocc.l have compared back to back in same system.
I had borrowed Belden to listen and in comparison, dac xstream cable sounded warmer and easy on ear.
Belden was tinned copper which sounded little clinical to me.
Both cable were 12 awg around.

@spirovious Belden 8477 (tinned copper) takes almost 200 hours to stabilize. I purchased both Klotz and the Belden, both 12awg. Klotz remained there for long as I was disappointed when I started with the Belden as highs seemed quite rolled off unlike the clinical presentation you experienced.
It was only after I listened to it in another setup where the cable had done many 100 hours did I realize its potential.
I waited out with patience and have never looked back after that.

But again I would like to reiterate that cables can also be dependent on the transparency of the chain and the voicing of your speakers and what kind of presentation one is looking forward to. So it often hard to describe a particular cable as good or bad as long as it is properly made and terminated.

Thanks. Due to my travels, It would take me couple of years or more to clock 200 hours. :D :p. So I guess I will stick with DAC brand or something else.

:)
@spirovious Belden 8477 (tinned copper) takes almost 200 hours to stabilize. I purchased both Klotz and the Belden, both 12awg. Klotz remained there for long as I was disappointed when I started with the Belden as highs seemed quite rolled off unlike the clinical presentation you experienced.
It was only after I listened to it in another setup where the cable had done many 100 hours did I realize its potential.
I waited out with patience and have never looked back after that.

But again I would like to reiterate that cables can also be dependent on the transparency of the chain and the voicing of your speakers and what kind of presentation one is looking forward to. So it often hard to describe a particular cable as good or bad as long as it is properly made and terminated.
Oh,
I dont know how many hours it was used,but same FM from whom I borrowed it got settled with DAC regular speaker cable :}

On the other hand, do very short lengths of about 1 or 2 metres of thick gauge like 14 or 12 have any adverse effect?

On the other hand, do very short lengths of about 1 or 2 metres of thick gauge like 14 or 12 have any adverse effect?

Technically speaking, 16awg is good enough for upto 50 feet in terms of drop in signal strength as long as the load is 8 ohms and above.
In my active car audio setup, all the 5 meter cables are 16awg as I weighed in the cost factor. At home I use 12awg, 4 feet cables as the cost factor is comparatively less.

Cables can play great mind games and can also actually prove beneficial or detrimental.

Got klotz speaker and interconnect in my setup for around a year now. Very transparent and open.

However keeping an eye for belden, hopefully can do a comparison.

MaSh

I have had experienice with klotz 2.5mm and 4mm cables. To me they have a little different sound characteristics. 4mm is heavy on bass and little rolled off in highs in my system. It sounds little bloated in my system. I prefer 2.5mm. it's clean on highs and more snappy.

I have had experienice with klotz 2.5mm and 4mm cables. To me they have a little different sound characteristics. 4mm is heavy on bass and little rolled off in highs in my system. It sounds little bloated in my system. I prefer 2.5mm. it's clean on highs and more snappy.

In general, thicker gauge gives more bass and overall density.

May be due to higher capacitance of the cable, highs are rolled off.

May be due to higher capacitance of the cable, highs are rolled off.

Just for comparison, specs of Klotz 4 and 2.5 sqmm speaker cables:

sku: LY240B.010

cond. cross section 4.0 mm2
cond. construction 224 x0.15 mm
conductor resistance 4.5 Ω/km
capacitance 180 pF/m
inductance 0.5 µH/m
outer Ø 11 mm
color blue
copper weight 80 g/m
weight 1.90 kg
length 10 m

sku: LY225B.010

cond. cross section 2.5 mm2
cond. construction 50 x 0.25 mm
conductor resistance 7 Ω/km
capacitance 170 pF/m
inductance 0.53 µH/m
outer Ø 8 mm
color blue
copper weight 50 g/m
weight 1.05 kg
length 10 m

180 pF/m versus 170 pF/m - hardly any difference.

Just for comparison, specs of Klotz 4 and 2.5 sqmm speaker cables:

sku: LY240B.010

cond. cross section 4.0 mm2
cond. construction 224 x0.15 mm
conductor resistance 4.5 Ω/km
capacitance 180 pF/m
inductance 0.5 µH/m
outer Ø 11 mm
color blue
copper weight 80 g/m
weight 1.90 kg
length 10 m

sku: LY225B.010

cond. cross section 2.5 mm2
cond. construction 50 x 0.25 mm
conductor resistance 7 Ω/km
capacitance 170 pF/m
inductance 0.53 µH/m
outer Ø 8 mm
color blue
copper weight 50 g/m
weight 1.05 kg
length 10 m

180 pF/m versus 170 pF/m - hardly any difference.

Maybe something to do with Strand thickness. Can it affect treble.

Back