any differences in blu-ray's from diff regiions

filmguy

hey guys
is there any difference in the PQ or content in blu-rays from diff. regions (region A vs C). for eg the Reg C blu's are indian-censored. does that mean the action scenes (of all types :D) etc are cut like they do in cinemas?

hey guys
is there any difference in the PQ or content in blu-rays from diff. regions (region A vs C). for eg the Reg C blu's are indian-censored. does that mean the action scenes (of all types :D) etc are cut like they do in cinemas?

Yes, Different countries have different rules for censor so the amount of scissors tend to differ.

Also the content defintely varies a large margin between certain regions. US most of the time gets superior release (Upto one's one mind as what is superior) Eg - Director's cut get released elsewhere and extended version at particular region. Also the additional contents like Behind the scenes tend to differ and also the packing differs (If you value that). Eg - Blade Runner - I think US has a suitcase version with 5 Discs or something when other regions haven't got that. Hope that was helpful

yes teky thanks
have u had a chance to compare PQ on the same movie on discs from diff regions?
i just got a ps3 and had to stick to region c coz of warranty. now my movies will hv to be reg c. that means trigger happy censored crap :mad:

yes teky thanks
have u had a chance to compare PQ on the same movie on discs from diff regions?
i just got a ps3 and had to stick to region c coz of warranty. now my movies will hv to be reg c. that means trigger happy censored crap :mad:

Certainly I haven't had a chance and I don't have the equipment, I'm a cave man living with CRT TV ;).

Srini will have a better opinion than me as he has owned different regions BD.

lol
btw CRT tvs rule. they would/have last decades. if only they could be made in a larger/thinnner size.

have compared a few reg A and reg C bds

with regards to PQ/SQ there isnt much to differentiate

the difference isnt as major compared to region 1 dvds and other reg dvds

with regards to censorship issues cant comment as yet to watch action:D movies which the censorboard can lay thier hands on

hey guys

Yes , pls do avoid buying region C BDs.

I have been following this discussion and after reading all the comments I have come to the conclusion that no body knows about anything about Blu Ray disks censor thing.
Guys Sony india markets region free blu ray disks in India, so only blu ray titles with no nudity or censored stuff is avaliable in India, this is due to the fact that blu ray disks for all the regions from Sony are the same as they just print the covers here with the censor certification on it. Has any one ever come across an English Blu ray title which displays censer certificate on your Screen? This proves that all the blu ray disks are the same irrespective of the region thing, also in cases where region locked is applied they too are imported disks as there in no Audio/Video lable which has its factory to manufacture these disks here in India. Since DVD's are manufactured in India so if a censor objectonable material is on that disk then its deleted before going into the hands of the public whereas with blu ray titles since manufacturing process is not present in India because of which movies like The Watchmen, The Wrestler, The Informer, will never be able to released in Blu Ray format in India, whereas same might be avaliable after certain deleted stuff on DVDs.
The only difference between the US release and Indian release is that sometimes a US release comes with the Digital copy of the same movie but that needs a US address for it to be dumped on your computer or portable device, thats the reason that Indian versions of the same movie would not carry a free digital copy of the disks as the same would be unusable in India.

Last edited:
hey guys

Well PQ dont depend on Regions ,but the remastering/recording methods.
It is only a barrier between countries.
If you compare Bluray rips,then Bluray movies will win.

Well PQ dont depend on Regions ,but the remastering/recording methods.
It is only a barrier between countries.
If you compare Bluray rips,then Bluray movies will win.

On what basis you are claiming this?
I heard from a lot of people that US DVD's are far better -and far bettercompared to Indian one.In fact I happened to know many people who used to procure all possible DVD's from US and there used to be a library in Kandivali whose owner was proud of lending "imported" DVD's.
Now it is well known that most of the Indian DVD's lack DTS soundtrack and if I am not wrong THE dark knight BR released in India was devoid of DTS sound.

ALSO CLAIMED BY PEOPLE THAT US DVD'S HAVE SUPOERIOR PICTURE QUALITY.( Not tested by me ,by A-B testing)

SO UNLESS U HAVE SEEN SAME INDIAN AND INTERNATIONAL BR -YOU CANNOT PASS ANY JUDGMENT. Also as per many pp Indian manufacturers are using low quality blanks -does it afect quality..

IN FACT ANY USER CAN COMMENT ON QUALITY AND ESP VIDEO QUALITY OF INDIAN AND IMPORTED ( DIFFREGIONS) BR DISCS?

ashish , what do u think of the PQ /SQ between REG A and C i cudnt make out much
and also the difference with downloaded 1080p content compared to BR disc?

Last edited:
ashish , what do u think of the PQ /SQ between REG A and C i cudnt make out much
and also the difference with downloaded 1080p content compared to BR disc?

There is absolutely no difference between the picture and sound quality of region A and C disks, but there is a lot of difference between a 1080p downloaded content and a blu ray and this difference is due to many a facts like:
The hardware through it's played.
The quality and size of the Rip.
Which container is used to rip the content.

In my case I have noticed certain amount of grain on the picture produced by the Blu Ray download played through Xtreamer vs blu ray disk played thorugh Oppo.

I heard from a lot of people that US DVD's are far better -and far bettercompared to Indian one.In fact I happened to know many people who used to procure all possible DVD's from US and there used to be a library in Kandivali whose owner was proud of lending "imported" DVD's.
Now it is well known that most of the Indian DVD's lack DTS soundtrack and if I am not wrong THE dark knight BR released in India was devoid of DTS sound.

ALSO CLAIMED BY PEOPLE THAT US DVD'S HAVE SUPOERIOR PICTURE QUALITY.( Not tested by me ,by A-B testing)

SO UNLESS U HAVE SEEN SAME INDIAN AND INTERNATIONAL BR -YOU CANNOT PASS ANY JUDGMENT. Also as per many pp Indian manufacturers are using low quality blanks -does it afect quality..

IN FACT ANY USER CAN COMMENT ON QUALITY AND ESP VIDEO QUALITY OF INDIAN AND IMPORTED ( DIFFREGIONS) BR DISCS?

there definetly is a major difference btwn the reg1 dvds (US) and indian dvds ,have compared them
newer indian dvd releases cud be slightly better (eg star trek the journey begins) but they mess it up soon
the main issue here is the PQ/SQ is inferrior to the reg1 dvds, they also messed up the ratio/screen size ,good eg of this is the recent release of public enemies on big home video, the aspect ratio was 4:3 and of totally pathetic quality

the difference in PQ is easily made out when the display is beyond 40-50"

with blu ray discs cudnt actually make out the differences in SQ/PQ btwn regA and RegC

the darknight BD has dolby true HD , i doubt a bd will have both option of dts HD MA and Dolby true HD as both are rival formats /different companies

I heard from a lot of people that US DVD's are far better -{/QUOTE]

I m comparing regions & not movies(Hollywood vs Bollywood)
As said earlier,is Reg C movie is recorded with highest possible Quality,It can be equal to Hollywood(say A).

It depends on technology.

There is absolutely no difference between the picture and sound quality of region A and C disks, but there is a lot of difference between a 1080p downloaded content and a blu ray and this difference is due to many a facts like:
The hardware through it's played.
The quality and size of the Rip.
Which container is used to rip the content.

In my case I have noticed certain amount of grain on the picture produced by the Blu Ray download played through Xtreamer vs blu ray disk played thorugh Oppo.

actually was planning on a streamer, but then wudnt like to compromise on quality

As said earlier,is Reg C movie is recorded with highest possible Quality,It can be equal to Hollywood(say A).

Spirovious:

I think Hemant is also comparing only the regions and not movies. He is talking of English movies released in US against the same English movies released here. I fully agree with what Hemant has heard. There is significant
difference between the two discs. This difference is more pronounced in Hindi movies. I checked some of the Hindi movies released by Shemaroo here and the versions released in US. Both PQ and SQ are of high standard in the US releases compared to the Indian ones. Also, the audio is clearly mentioned as either Dolby Stereo or Mono. On the Indian discs, without any exception, they are always "Dolby 5.1" which means a monoaural stream from all the 5 speakers as also the sub-woofer.

Warm Regds / Shailender

Spirovious:

I think Hemant is also comparing only the regions and not movies. He is talking of English movies released in US against the same English movies released here. I fully agree with what Hemant has heard.

Warm Regds / Shailender
Yes Spiro this is what i mean I heard Same movies are "better deleivered" in US ( region 1) than what we get here!

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

i think you are comparing the indian releases of hindi movies here
as far as i know there are only 4-5 bollywood movies on bd as of date(om shanthi om/newyork/jodha akbar/rock on/sawariya) , but sure many more are on thier way
i do have the movie newyork ,but yet to chk out its quality

but in dvd , the quality of the bolywood releases are most of the time below average --in respect to SQ theres exagerated frequencies and the PQ is bad
(exceptions being the DVDs of Fana/ ghajini/ tare zameen par/ dostana etc )

the reason for the bad quality cud be the issue in pricing . A hindi movie wud cost btw 100--300 so definetly there wud be issues during production/pressing/blanks, as u rightly said poor technology

reg 1 discs are still expensive 500-800

Shailendra I didnt understand what you meant here

"Also, the audio is clearly mentioned as either Dolby Stereo or Mono. On the Indian discs, without any exception, they are always "Dolby 5.1" which means a monoaural stream from all the 5 speakers as also the sub-woofer"

Can you elaborate. What do you mean by monoaural stream. Isnt 5.1 sound meant for movies. who would want to watch a movie in stereo or Mono. Beats me!!!

Hi,

Some bluray authoring goes on in my office, It's by Technicolor, to distribute blurays in India. AFAIK, the materials received for authoring Bluray DVD's for Indian market and the US market are the same(i remember discussing this with a collegue of mine who's in that dept.), although censored movies do not release in India(a stated by Ashish), i.e never authorised by Indian Bluray authoriser's. But anyway will have a detailed discussion about all your queries with him in the weekend and post them. Hope it would help everyone.

cheers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back