Any experience with MX speaker wires?

ngd

I am looking for speaker wires and after doing some reading on the net (e.g. The Best Speaker Cable | The Wirecutter) I have decided to buy some decent 12 AWG wire. Searching on the net, I found the MX cable to be available (MX Speaker Cable 12AWG Transparent Type 15 MTRS MX 891A | eBay).

Does anybody have any experience with this cable? Can you suggest some alternatives?

I have often heard about "Mr Murthy Speaker Cables". Are they easy to procure? How much does it cost (approx)?

I am looking for about 7 metres and budget is 2.5k.

Thanks!

I have built my HT setup with the speaker wires from MX. I bought the 14 AWG wire from a MX dealer here in Bangalore for INR 100.00 per meter.
All of my 5 speakers are connected with this wire which runs a total of 22 meters. So, my total investment was about 2.5k.

The speaker wires are marked by number at every meter so, you get exactly how much you need.

Before I was using some crappy speaker wires that came along with the Onkyo package, but once I upgraded to these, I felt the difference in the sound.
It was more clear and open. I am not sure about more expensive ones but these are a true value for money wires.

I have been using electrical wire with single copper core (no braided) design since 14 yrs, I know this can be one of the worst choices as far as speaker wires goes, but I could not find a better option then. However I'm trying to overhaul my setup and have bought RCA 16AWG 100ft x 2 rolls from amazon.com yesterday. It costed me Rs 3,200/- all inclusive of delivery & duties.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop

EDIT: The MX seems to be a mix of aluminium & copper, the RCA is pure copper. My cost comes to about Rs 51/m, a 14/12 AWG will maybe cost more but would be still less or equal to the MX.

Last edited:
I have been using electrical wire with single copper core (no braided) design since 14 yrs, I know this can be one of the worst choices as far as speaker wires goes, but I could not find a better option then. However I'm trying to overhaul my setup and have bought RCA 16AWG 100ft x 2 rolls from amazon.com yesterday. It costed me Rs 3,200/- all inclusive of delivery & duties.

Amazon.com: Rca AH14100SR 14-Gauge Speaker Wire (100 feet): Electronics

EDIT: The MX seems to be a mix of aluminium & copper, the RCA is pure copper. My cost comes to about Rs 51/m, a 14/12 AWG will maybe cost more but would be still less or equal to the MX.

I do agree that the MX is not pure copper and mixed with aluminium.

But, I would like to clear your impression here that the RCA cables are also NOT pure copper. They are copper-coated wire on aluminium and not full braided copper. Well, to prove this you can check the amazon site from you have bought as well as other reviews on the internet.
It may be better than what I have but it is not 100% pure copper.

They seem to have pure copper speaker cable too (set view items per page to 50 for ease)

MX MDR ELECTRONICS & MX ELECTRONICS & HDMI & CCTV CAMERA & DVR & SDI ACCESSORIES & VGA ; DVI & APPLE ACCESSORIES & CABLES & CONNECTORS & HOME THEATER CABLES & PRO-AUDIO / STUDIO ACCESSORIES & FIBER OPTICS & CABLE MANAGEMENT & CABLE ORGANISER & VIDEO

^ just checked & agree that the RCA is a coper claded aluminium. My existing electrical wire is pure copper :-X

Another suggestion is to change the speaker cable on one speaker only. this will allow you to accurately experience if the new speaker cable made any difference or not. And never buy a cable that does not show a clear audio difference in this type of A/B testing. Remember most people have a auditory memory of 10 sec or less. So must compare two sounds within that interval to judge if cable made any difference.

What is your setup? 12 gauge would be overkill for most systems.
You could consider DAC cables also.
I have been using these for my HT for many years.
If you could do with 5m, I have a pair of Mr Murth'y cables that I have been thinking of selling.

Buy 12 gauge cable from monoprice. They are as good as it gets.

+1 to Monoprice. I've used everything from them - ethernet cables, optical, HDMI, RCA, Thunderbolt, USB, etc. They are the best in terms of price and quality has never been an issue.

@Musicbee: did you buy it from Avenue Sound?

Nope, from Amazon.com and Monoprice website actually. Picked it up on my trips to US. Amazon.in does have some of their products including cables, so check that out too.

Re: MX Speaker cables in B'lore?

I have built my HT setup with the speaker wires from MX. I bought the 14 AWG wire from a MX dealer here in Bangalore for INR 100.00 per meter.

Could you please let me know, which shop in SP Road for MX speaker cables.

I need this to connect my pioneer BS22 bookshelf speakers to FX Audio Digital Amp. I have 4 pairs of banana plugs and would get them fixed onto these cables.

Re: MX Speaker cables in B'lore?

Could you please let me know, which shop in SP Road for MX speaker cables.

I need this to connect my pioneer BS22 bookshelf speakers to FX Audio Digital Amp. I have 4 pairs of banana plugs and would get them fixed onto these cables.

Sanson Electroniks
Ph - 22240912, 22898079
No 1/1 Gopal Complex,
Sadar Patrappa Road (I guess thats what SP stands for, never knew)
Bangalore - 560002

Found this on one of the old threads, not sure if the information still holds good. Give it a try... hope it helps :thumbsup:
http://www.hifivision.com/audio-video-cables/3406-mx-cables-bangalore.html

Sorry for intervening this thread....

Recently bought SwanM200KII in that set, I was received 3.5 mm TO 2 RCA PLUG. Pic showed below...

After saw this thread...I like to upgrade 3.5 mm TO 2 RCA Male Cable....Suggestion welcome...!!!

4Dkjszg.jpg

Sorry for intervening this thread....

Recently bought SwanM200KII in that set, I was received 3.5 mm TO 2 RCA PLUG. Pic showed below...

After saw this thread...I like to upgrade 3.5 mm TO 2 RCA Male Cable....Suggestion welcome...!!!

4Dkjszg.jpg
Check out Amazon. You have loads of options for 3.5mm to rca from popular brands.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back