Any experience with Sound Bars

madbullram

Guys,
I am seriously thinking of a SoundBar for my bedroom. why:

1. Its a small 10X11 room, have finished interiors etc and dont have space to run wires now
2. Will buying a 32 LCD soon so will compliment nicely
3. No place to keep a DVD player etc, sound bars comes with integrated DVDp which can be wall mounted

I was thinking of Philips 8101 Ambisound or the Yamaha's

Anyone, has any experience with it?

I have heard the sonodyne ex bar (doesn't come with DVDP), Phillips (comes with DVDP) and samsung (wireless sub with DVDP) as I was toying with the same idea.

I have seen others too like yamaha but havent heard them.

Sound is decent and the usp is no wiring etc can be mounted under the TV. It is designed with that and the sound is definitely a little less than expected. I thought that a stereo amp and a couple of bookshelves have much better value.

Further, the sub has to be connected through a wire

Last edited:
Yes, you are correct, but Philips has a wireless sub also. I have heard Yammy and they are really good, you do get a feel of surround though not as good as 5.1.

But yammy comes to 50k+ so totally out of my budget. Any other wireless solution anyone has come across?

Of course you do feel the surround effect which is again better under controlled conditions. Further I think that it is better to have a wired sub rather than a wireless one for the basic reason they cost less.

Last edited:
I heard Yam & Phil @ avexpo, Phil sounded clear,but yam was better with surr experience.Though 5.1 dedicated sustem is best ,for bedroom Yam can be better.Sonodyne also comes with SB & Sub combo.

Just how poor is a surround bar compared to dedicated 5.1.

Take a benchmark mid-budget 5.1 system costing X and give it a score of 10. How much would a good surround bar score in comparison?

Silly question I know, but just want to grade them mentally ... :)

TIA

Regards

One more option for u is going for wireless systems from Sony and Samsung.
Both offer convetional 5.1 system which r wireless ready. By adding a wireless module(6-7K) u can convert whole gamut into wireless one. So, no wires+ USB video playback+Karaoke+Integrated upscaling DVP+Bluetooth(Only sammy) etc. features at less cost.

Some models, Sony 690 with front standmounts, Sammy 320 sub-sat,725 front half-FS, 425 all 4 FS.

One more option for u is going for wireless systems from Sony and Samsung.
Both offer convetional 5.1 system which r wireless ready. By adding a wireless module(6-7K) u can convert whole gamut into wireless one. So, no wires+ USB video playback+Karaoke+Integrated upscaling DVP+Bluetooth(Only sammy) etc. features at less cost.

Some models, Sony 690 with front standmounts, Sammy 320 sub-sat,725 front half-FS, 425 all 4 FS.

WHere do u get a wireless module? ANy pointers?

Also, even with that the DVDp will have to placed below the TV which means it needs a stand and i wont have space for that bcos I need all wall mounted and flush!

WHere do u get a wireless module? ANy pointers?

All Sammy and Sony dealers will be storing Wireless module.

Also, even with that the DVDp will have to placed below the TV which means it needs a stand and i wont have space for that bcos I need all wall mounted and flush!

That will be problem. U can install Glass/Support stand for DVP but, it won't be flush. Sammy has some models where vertical placement of DVP is possible. Check in person.

I heard somewhere that sonodyne had introduced a soundbar sometime last year and I was going to Calcutta during christmas I had a chance to drop into their listening room at south city mall. They were even offerring a festive disount on it and the sound was great. I felt that the surround effect was not that good as regards stereo. Well since the bar only accepts the analog stereo inputs from the dvdp this may be so. Build quality was good and was looking decent price was around 24k for the smaller one and 30k for the bigger one. But no dvd player inbuilt.

I also heard the pre power combo build quality superb only sound processing no video but alas no newer hd audio codecs. It is a 6 channel amp not a 7 channel decodes 6.1 i.e. upto dd ex for around 44k. Not made up my mind yet. Have to go to calcutta or bangalore for another audition so its taking longer than usual. I have deceided to get all my gear from elsewhere and not from delhi.

Further, I think auditioning any product at AVexpos is a waste of time. Niether they give you quality time and the flimsy separators make for a awful expereince.

Btw I also heard a bose cinema system which is around 30k two tiny speakers and a bass module not bad for the price.

Last edited:
>>Build quality was good and was looking decent price was around 24k for the >> smaller one and 30k for the bigger one. But no dvd player inbuilt.

Recently they have slashed the prices. i have bough 40" ex bar for 22K from Sonodyne.

Along with this i bought AVR3000R + Sonus V2 Pair.

As far as EX Bar is considered sound quality is too good when it is connected to DVD Player. However, I see a problem when i watch TV. The sound of sub irritates at times (Only for specific channels).

>>Build quality was good and was looking decent price was around 24k for the >> smaller one and 30k for the bigger one. But no dvd player inbuilt.

Recently they have slashed the prices. i have bough 40" ex bar for 22K from Sonodyne.

Along with this i bought AVR3000R + Sonus V2 Pair.

As far as EX Bar is considered sound quality is too good when it is connected to DVD Player. However, I see a problem when i watch TV. The sound of sub irritates at times (Only for specific channels).

How was the surround experience?

Hey I tried the SONODYNE sound bar. It comes with a SUB ( Not wireless). Not bad at all for the price. The package was 17 k :licklips:. Visit the Sonodyne Showroom in Forum,Bangalore.

Happy Shopping

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back