any scientific reason?

karthi1000

hi friends its my observation that most of audiophiles and serious music listeners are men . am i right?
is there any gender bias ? any scientific reasons?

No, I don't think so. Women are just as serious about music. If there is a gender divide, it is that men tend to be more serious about the equipment.

Men have better developed, sophisticated part of the brain that deals with Mathematics and abstraction :yahoo:. Music is highly mathematical. This affinity of mathematicians to music has been mentioned earlier.

Please read the below to understand the intricate connection between maths and music

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~jjn27/mathandmusic.pdf

In fact, you will find women who can sing better than men. However, It is difficult to find women who have composed musical treasures like Bach, Beethoven, Haydn and our very own composers like Naushad, Anil Biswas.

Note: Activating my MCP Missile shield ;)

Last edited:
Probably its in genes. While you will find equal no. of male and female singers, when it comes to musical instruments, I see men outnumbering ladies. In addition , as Thad says, ladies are very serious about 'music' itself but not so much about music reproducing equipment.

mostly it has to do wih the gender ..

men are men...it never sounds adrenalin with women ....

How many of us would like to goto a female heavy rock band concert and bang their heads ...it wouldn't sound right for me...

just think of women cricket...how many of you cheerup that?

hi friends its my observation that most of audiophiles and serious music listeners are men . am i right?
is there any gender bias ? any scientific reasons?

Women have traditionally not had surplus wealth to splurge on audiophile gear like $1000 power chords and ICs and $4000 amps or sources. They are likely to save that money for raising their children. Not talking about those narcissistic types of course. :eek:hyeah: Then tinkering with audio gear is like tinkering with automobiles .. something only men enjoy as a hobby. Women are more likely to spend that time in front of the mirror.

Men have better developed, sophisticated part of the brain that deals with Mathematics and abstraction :yahoo:. Music is highly mathematical. This affinity of mathematicians to music has been mentioned earlier.

Please read the below to understand the intricate connection between maths and music

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~jjn27/mathandmusic.pdf

In fact, you will find women who can sing better than men. However, It is difficult to find women who have composed musical treasures like Bach, Beethoven, Haydn and our very own composers like Naushad, Anil Biswas.

Note: Activating my MCP Missile shield ;)

When I listen to Carnatic I find many women artistes equally capable of singing complex permutations and combinations of notes in rapid pace - a training that requires experiencing the relationship and interplay between numbers (or notes) via ones intuitive and other senses.

Click <Launch!> Sending missile your way ... :D (Actually I love playing MCP myself ;)! )

Also if you are talking about composers in Hindustani or Carnatic - isn't most of challenge in the extended improvisations that is not composed rather than the main theme which may be composed?

--G0bble

Last edited:
When I listen to Carnatic I find many women artistes equally capable of singing complex permutations and combinations of notes in rapid pace
That is absolutely right. No mathematical superiority of men in this department! :D

Anyway, I use music to escape from stuff like that. Even though I love carnatic music, I seldom think about numbers when listening to it. I don't deny the brain its share, but music is for the heart and soul.

But I'm still a gadget freak :eek:

umm may be men are more towards possession of equipments as pride than loving the music?!
may be women more towards tv /serials than listening music?!

Scientific or not, the reason is that men don't spend (much) time in front of the mirror. They also happen to be poor gossip mongers. The victim of these inferiorities to the fairer sex is the wallet.

Ever thought why is the Goddess of wealth a woman? Because men need to spend their time spending (and bragging/justifying their spend). They will make a very poor candidate for the post.

Oh, and I don't think they are that bad with numbers.

Ask any of them about SPF. Most of them know it a lot better than most men :lol:

umm may be men are more towards possession of equipments as pride than loving the music?!
may be women more towards tv /serials than listening music?!

Or like into possession of women as an object of pride ?;) And "tinkering with them under the hood" :lol:

Oh, and I don't think they are that bad with numbers.

Ask any of them about SPF. Most of them know it a lot better than most men :lol:

Duh! What is SPF? :rolleyes:

--G

S... men don't spend (much) time in front of the mirror. They also happen to be poor gossip mongers.
I think you are wrong on both counts. You see guys in the street who can hardly manage to pass a car or bike mirror without getting the comb out, and, as for gossip, what does everybody think they do in the office when not actually working.

Or do you call it networking? :rolleyes: :lol:

many life support software installed in them , so the frequency analyzer was made a poor one...

may be it has many chips missing .. existing stuff can just analyse if it is bass/treble/mid in terms of loudness

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back