Any Windows 10 FMs switched to 11?

How? Did the "hardware" get updated?
No changes except the OS. Even different versions among windows 10 sounded differently, example 20H2 vs 21H1. Same thing holds good for different versions of JRiver. The changes are not drastic but minor. I have no answer for the 'how?'.

No changes except the OS. Even different versions among windows 10 sounded differently, example 20H2 vs 21H1. Same thing holds good for different versions of JRiver. The changes are not drastic but minor. I have no answer for the 'how?'.
Yeah, I'm highly skeptical about this but too each his own.

And I've also run different versions of Windows and JRiver Media Center (JRMC). Currently running Windows 11, with JRMC 28. No difference in sound to me from version to version (Windows or JRMC).

Thanks.

there are workarounds available to get W11 installed on older h/w which don't meet the required specs, but performance bottlenecks may occur in that case.. particularly sometimes when the background windows-updater process runs, the system gets stuck even on my 16GB/i5, which otherwise is a good enough h/w for W10.

Sound wise W10 was quite an improvement over previous versions of windows.. W11 seems very slightly better or may be a bit different, though not very sure yet. However it takes more ram, that's a but disadvantageous as audio performs better with more free ram.

I'm sorry but where are you getting this information from?
this is from my experience over the years. the less recourse intensive the OS is the better is the audio performance.. eg just install linux and Windows in the same system, linux always sounds better, more fluid with bigger soundstage.. technical reason could be file decoding and buffering performance improves..
you can even find there are some Audiophiles OS available build over windows or linux which strip down the OS from all unnecessary processes keeping only the minimal and audio related processes to improve the audio performance.

this is from my experience over the years. the less recourse intensive the OS is the better is the audio performance.. eg just install linux and Windows in the same system, linux always sounds better, more fluid with bigger soundstage.. technical reason could be file decoding and buffering performance improves..
you can even find there are some Audiophiles OS available build over windows or linux which strip down the OS from all unnecessary processes keeping only the minimal and audio related processes to improve the audio performance.

As a system builder since 1998 (last build in 2019), and one who's run every non-server based Windows OS from Windows 95 to now Windows 11, I've not seen or heard of anything that suggests "audio performs better with more free ram" other than you mentioning it here.

In short, I'm not buying into this one. Sorry.

I upgraded to Windows 11 around 4 months back and I still find it hard to navigate at times. The task manager is one area I felt MS made some unnecessary changes. Given a choice between Win 10 and 11, I prefer Windows10.

Due to its continuous development, many new UI changes, especially in the Explorer/Context Menu, feel incomplete. To fill this gap, www.startisback.com has done an excellent job with its small utility StartAllBack for Windows 11. Give it a try, and I am positive you will love it.

Due to its continuous development, many new UI changes, especially in the Explorer/Context Menu, feel incomplete. To fill this gap, www.startisback.com has done an excellent job with its small utility StartAllBack for Windows 11. Give it a try, and I am positive you will love it.
I don't use StartALLBack or any of those Windows appearance tweak programs. Just use Windows straight out the box as is.

I remember using TweakXp or similar and it worked fantastic. It removed many of unwanted apps and streamlined windows. IMO Microsoft has nothing to do hence doles out unnecessary tweaks creating havoc for stable systems. I wish someone could pluck out all unnecessary things and give us a plain vanilla windows.

As a system builder since 1998 (last build in 2019), and one who's run every non-server based Windows OS from Windows 95 to now Windows 11, I've not seen or heard of anything that suggests "audio performs better with more free ram" other than you mentioning it here.

In short, I'm not buying into this one. Sorry.
by more free RAM, i actually meant more free resources.. ie processor/RAM etc.. and not only that, there are many other factors as well.. for that matter even i have been building my system since W3.1 days.. And i would suggest not to go by anybody's words, just try it for yourself, Just install and dual boot an ubuntu and see.. Right now i have all these OSs (W10, W11, MX Linux, Audiophile Linux, Volumio, Daphile) multibooting on the same system, and each of them sound different.. BTW this knowledge is nothing new, these things have been discussed on many audiophile communities for long and in fact many lite audio dedicated OS like AP linux, Daphile, Volumio came into existence to address these concerns only.. There even used to be an app called 'Audiophile Fidelizer' during W7/8 days which would tweak the process priorities of various background process on the system to make the overall OS sound better. The app is still available for download and i think it should work on W10/11 as well, just try it and see.. Finally if you want to easily experience whether RAM affects audio performance or not, just disable the pagefile of your Windows system, disable it entirely, have no pagefile at all and see the difference.
I don't know what's your experience in HiFi is or what gear you have, but these things can be very easily spotted by normal ear and basic gear

Last edited:
by more free RAM, i actually meant more free resources.. ie processor/RAM etc.. and not only that, there are many other factors as well..
I don't know what's your experience in HiFi is or what gear you have, but these things can be very easily spotted by normal ear and basic gear
I'm not going to debate this any further but trust me when I say I'm far more knowledgeable about PC's and Windows than you may realize. And it's one thing to have built a Windows 3.1 system back in the day, it' another to build one using today's current tech and OS.

Anyway, I don't use Linux. I have a "normal ear", and my gear is always above "basic". I'm also a music lover ;)

I'm not going to debate this any further but trust me when I say I'm far more knowledgeable about PC's and Windows than you may realize. And it's one thing to have built a Windows 3.1 system back in the day, it' another to build one using today's current tech and OS.

Anyway, I don't use Linux. I have a "normal ear", and my gear is always above "basic". I'm also a music lover ;)
Since you have good knowledge about PCs and windows, you can understand how challenging it can be to multiboot several different OS in current tech which goes on to become more h/w proprietary with secure boot and all. Even though i have been able to achieve it with several workarounds and tweaks but I can understand it's not everybody's cup of tea to install and multiboot a Linux or other esoteric OS along with the much proprietary W11. So i have provided two very easy things to try for the ones who want to really explore these things, without any prejudices or biases, Try the 'Audiophile fidelizer' app or the pagefile trick, it only takes 30 sec for this.
Even i am not here for unnecessary arguments, but since you said "you're not going to buy into this based on your technical knowledge of windows", so i presented here some opportunities that can be explored to query ones logical point of view

Tidal has exclusive mode to improve the interaction with OS. Similar tweaks can be available at OS level or at 3rd party app level.

Problem with windows is with constant OS and app updates you can never be sure if what works correctly today will work tomorrow also without the need for tweaks/upgrades/downgrades. The recent tidal app update is making the playback pause for a while randomly even though there is no issue with internet. The background apps can cause conflict in memory/resource usage.

Hi all,
PC's been prompting for a long time.
Anyone tried it?
What are the big pros and cons you have noticed?
Most important, how does it behave with slightly older hardware? (Mine's a three-year-old i7 intel that's been doing really well so far)
Any inputs and observations most welcome.
Regards
switched from win 10(OEM)..infact forced installed using update tool...but...my pc working purrfect.so go ahead.im using a asus.BTW the win 11 continues to update smoothly

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back