Anyone interested in buying magnetic project mat to hold screws while repairing?

Would you like to buy this product?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

goyal.sanchit

Hello everyone

If you do your own repairs you must have realised how difficult it is to prevent small screws from getting lost and remember which screw goes where.

Since quite sometime I was planning to buy a magnetic board which would hold the screws. On searching yesterday I found that the product is not available in India!

I found the one I require at ifixit and the price is 14.95 usd which is pretty ok. But the shipping is 35 usd which makes it 50 usd. So I am planning to order in bulk to save on the shipping. If anyone else would like to have the product do let Me know!

Details about the product-

• Simply organizes all your parts while you work on a device.
  • Dry erase surface lets you keep notes and stops mistakes.
  • Reduces reassembly time by up to 40% while preventing errors.
  • Magnetic surface is safe for hard drives, and other modern electronics.

3VUOsBULXooQfBBA.medium

Personally,
When I'm doing any job , I prefer my workarea not to be loitered with these essential part in the first place.I Started using magetic trays (here is mine)instead for the same purpose.In addition small boxes too goes a long way in being organized ( as normally most of my petty jobs goes on for months together !) .These are suplemented by Photo captured of each steps.I'm preaching what I practice :eek:hyeah: ( not all images are posted here)

Last edited:
Personally,
When I'm doing any job , I prefer my workarea not to be loitered with these essential part in the first place.I Started using magetic trays (here is mine)instead for the same purpose.In addition small boxes too goes a long way in being organized ( as normally most of my petty jobs goes on for months together !) .These are suplemented by Photo captured of each steps.I'm preaching what I practice :eek:hyeah: ( not all images are posted here)

While this is certainly cheaper when opening a laptop there are many screws of different shapes so I put them down like a grid to prevent from getting mixed up.

This wont solve My purpose as the screws might converge and get mixed up. :)

While this is certainly cheaper when opening a laptop there are many screws of different shapes so I put them down like a grid to prevent from getting mixed up.

This wont solve My purpose as the screws might converge and get mixed up. :)

:D been there , done that. (DELL lattude (233Mz cpu!) was the "bakra" in my case to start with. some 8-9 years earlier)
well looks like , over a time we get used to what we are comfortable with.

goyal.sanchit,
I had been to itsy bitsy(@New BEL Road) this evening for "cutting mat" and also found somthing in line with your requirement( to an extent ) and a bit bigger one(14x10).

Here is the link, but a bit expensive than 15$ from ifixit. (this is 10x7 in)

Magnetic Mat

Hope this helps.

That has the advantage of being a cutting mat, whereas the iFixit has the advantage of being a dry-erase marker surface.

Back in the days when a proportion of my work included fine work with scalpel and steel rule on film and paper, my desk had one big cutting mat covering much of the surface. Even now, I would not be without a small one --- but I had never heard of a magnetic one. Seems like it could be good.

Hello

Thanks for the link. I would prefer the ifixit mat since it can be used for marking also. Also it is cheaper. I just have to order it someday now!

Not a great idea to have your screws magnetized when working with cassette and reel decks. Also in the modern context a lot of screws are made of aluminium to avoid rust. For these, the magnetic mat would not be useful. Same goes for plastic screws, rivets and clamps. On another note, whenever I work on projects, I use a plastic egg tray for storing the screws, bolts & nuts, rivets, etc. I can even label each compartment individually. I can also close the lid if I need to store the content :)

I use the bigger version of the one shown below:

plastic_egg_tray.jpg

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back