Anyone who dont like tubes

JFet sound different from Mosfet which sounds different from SIT. So it all depends on the user as to whether he or she wants to get into that much detail. People who use tubes I guess are more evolved or more finicky, I don’t know which ;)

Tubes make them finicky or finicky people like tubes ?

People who use tubes are finicky
All audiophiles are finicky

I undsrstand where this is going

Trudat!!
With soft yellow ambient lighting, the color of scotch in a glass matches the color in them glass condoms ;).
The sound signature in this setting is formed in the head, mostly.
Cheers (literally here),
Raghu

Now i underatand why resolution, soundstage, prat, imaging, etc dont matter with tubes. Btw are you really sure volume is turned on?

Now i underatand why resolution, soundstage, prat, imaging, etc dont matter with tubes. Btw are you really sure volume is turned on?
Good one!!
I usually prefer turning on the part-tube chain after a peg or two, late at night.
The volume is very, very low actually.
Cheers,
Raghu

Speaking of which, how’s been your journey from the lush, thick sound of the Leben to the clean sounding Quicksilver? Was there any mental adaptation needed?
Its actually an interesting story. I have used 3 amps in 16 years
1. Sugden A21 (original) - Most lush and Rounded at the Bass and Midrange and its SS
2. Leben : less lush in the bass but more soft for vocals, push pull 35 W tubes
3. Quicksilver: very clean and transparent sounds more powerful.

If i were to hear it blind i would guess 3 to be an SS and 1 to be a tube :)

People who use tubes are finicky
All audiophiles are finicky

I undsrstand where this is going

Are you confirming your bias unconsciously?There’s enough data on this thread itself that there are SS amps that audiophiles have preferred over tubes with certain speakers or for certain sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you trying to confirm your bias unconsciously?There’s enough data on this thread itself that there are SS amps that audiophiles have preferred over tubes with certain speakers or for certain sound.

So far there was one person who said he did not like tube sound. For most people it seems like they like tubes but with certain conditions for a certain sound. People listening to music with a glass of wine surely tend to like tubes.

I think once an audiophile moves to tubes, its inherent that there will be loss of things called resolution, prat etc, so now they are less concerned about things in their radar and can concentrate more on tube finickiness, that leads to more pleasure as mind already knows the limits.

Firearm12, you are completely wrong. There is absolutely no loss of resolution or prat or bass when using a tube amp. You have to make sure your speaker mates well with a tube amp. Most people have speakers which are not suited for tube amps. If you have horns or single drivers or high efficiency speakers, tube amps work very well.

No solid state amp can match a well designed tube amp when it comes to inner resolution.

I have owned top end SS amps from Levinson to JC1 Monoblocs. They can’t match a good tube amp on microdynamics, timing, inner resolution and immediacy.

I use a tube pre-amp in my system (with a solid state power amp). For a long while, I just couldn't get it to sound "right" to my ears. Rolled many NOS tubes.

Finally, now I found these three things to work for me:

1. 6N2P tubes (the NOS ones from Russia) - quite cheap, and amazing sound

I got the idea to try these tubes from the post by the Lampizator designer/owner:
http://www.lampizator.eu/UPGRADE/upgrade noval tubes to 6H6P.html

2. Tube dampeners. I use the ones from Herbies Audio Lab, but I'm sure there are even better ones out there

3. Vibration control on the chasis, using RollerBlocks from SoundFoundations

Firearm12, you are completely wrong. There is absolutely no loss of resolution or prat or bass when using a tube amp. You have to make sure your speaker mates well with a tube amp. Most people have speakers which are not suited for tube amps. If you have horns or single drivers or high efficiency speakers, tube amps work very well.

No solid state amp can match a well designed tube amp when it comes to inner resolution.

I have owned top end SS amps from Levinson to JC1 Monoblocs. They can’t match a good tube amp on microdynamics, timing, inner resolution and immediacy.

Ok thats why its good to discuss, to clear our minds and read other's experiemces and opinions.

my 2 cents for what its worth. I find the staging that tube pre-amps bring very addictive (depth in the soundstage, holographic imaging, micro-details like echoes and delays). I haven't experimented much with tube power amps in my own system but my tonal preferences edge towards a tube pre coupled with a good solid state power amplifier.

now on the headphone side of things, for dynamic headphones I tend to favour a good tube amp over solid state amps. The staging, detail retrieval and voicing (and the ability to tube roll) for me atleast make these miles ahead of any solid state amping.

+1 @prem

+1 @prem
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

+100
I’m really glad that a member with such vast experience has made the above points. It really bugs me when people write off tubes with sweeping generalizations that they’ve probably picked up from hifi forums.
As Prem has alluded, one doesn’t just pick up a tube amp; one matches a tube amp to a speaker. It’s the combination that delivers the goosebumps, not one over the other. Push pull, SET, 45, 2a3, 300B, 211, KT88, etc coupled with horns, single driver, Snell clones, etc, provide a smorgasbord of auditory options. Pick the right mix and you’ll have to pick your jaw up off the floor.
Unfortunately, a really good tube amp and high sensitivity speakers don’t come cheap. They won’t just break the bank, they’ll burn it to the ground. You’ll also have to experiment quite a bit to find the sound that‘s just right for you. For me, personally, the sound of a high quality 300B SET paired with 97 db speakers turns my knees to jelly. But I’m yet to hear a 211 based amp. Who knows, maybe I’ll like that better?
One thing is for sure, though; I’ll never go back to ss.

In reply to OP's query, based on my speaker selection now, I do not prefer tubes to drive them, so in a way yes I don't like tubed power amps. with my speakers, currently. However in general, I still like the tube sound so I have tubed preamps. in the chain.
I have gone through a whole gamut of tube amps. (push pull, single ended) except for 2a3, both mid. to hi-fi, and another thing I don't like about them is their periodic maintenance, especially cost and availability (in India) of power tubes.
In the past, I lived with all-tubed setups for over 15 years.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
I have gone through a whole gamut of tube amps. (push pull, single ended) except for 2a3, both mid. to hi-fi, and another thing I don't like about them is their periodic maintenance, especially cost and availability (in India) of power tubes.
In the past, I lived with all-tubed setups for over 15 years.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi Sidvee, isnt that also a function of the amp design ? eg Mac and Lamm need their power tubes changed after a couple of years but the leben ran with the same tube for 10 years..I did do some tube rolling for the sound but the older tubes all worked.

Hi Sidvee, isnt that also a function of the amp design ? eg Mac and Lamm need their power tubes changed after a couple of years but the leben ran with the same tube for 10 years..I did do some tube rolling for the sound but the older tubes all worked.
Not sure Arj, it could be. However it is an added expense, for instance a decent quad of kt88's, matched could cost from $200- $250 delivered, and it increases for more exotic tubes. Moreover none of these tubes are available in India - I mean from a reputed tube seller who has a proper tester etc.
I mean even the dealers who sell tubed equipment don't stock tubes.
Cheers,
Sid

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back