Apple music to launch lossless streaming

Do USB ports of AVR support USB DACs? Aren't they for data only?
How would you connect a dac to a USB port? By definition a dac outputs analog signal.

Or did you mean to use the usb port on avr as an input for a dac? If that's the case, unless the avr has some sort of usb passthrough, I don't see working.

Most avr's already have a dac section. If yours doesn't support usb input, you can just use an external dac and use the amp section of the avr.

Is it the one without the type C port? And does your dac have a separate power supply? The output from the adapter would most likely be not enough to power the dac. That is why the one I linked with an additional type C port (for power) is recommended.
Initially i bought the one without the additional C port. When I tried to use it, I did get the message that the power wasn't sufficient.
Later I purchased the one with the additional C port for power.
When I try to use this one, I do not get the message, but then there is no sound output when I connect it and try to play via the IPhone.
The USB port on the amp seems to be fine, as I can play music via my laptop connected using the same USB cable.

Initially i bought the one without the additional C port. When I tried to use it, I did get the message that the power wasn't sufficient.
Later I purchased the one with the additional C port for power.
When I try to use this one, I do not get the message, but then there is no sound output when I connect it and try to play via the IPhone.
The USB port on the amp seems to be fine, as I can play music via my laptop connected using the same USB cable.

Ah that's disappointing. Which dac are you using? Apple certainly hasn't made it easy to access high res and lossless audio. Makes me think they might come up with their own i device for playing high res and lossless audio on home theatre setups.

How would you connect a dac to a USB port? By definition a dac outputs analog signal.
Or did you mean to use the usb port on avr as an input for a dac? If that's the case, unless the avr has some sort of usb passthrough, I don't see working.

Most avr's already have a dac section. If yours doesn't support usb input, you can just use an external dac and use the amp section of the avr.
I was referring to below post.
Do let me know if it works for you.
I ordered Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera adaptor.
Used it to connect Iphone XR to my Amp via USB port. Not working.
I believe if you connect USB DAC to USB port of AVR, It wouldn't work with AVR.

Do let me know if it works for you.
I ordered Apple's Lightning to USB 3 Camera adaptor.
Used it to connect Iphone XR to my Amp via USB port. Not working.
I faced the similar problem. And found out the issue is with the usb cable when I connected using a audio usb cable. Initially I used a printer cable and it didn’t work when I used it to connect my PC as well. Do check your cable is working when you connect something like a PC or laptop to your amp.

I faced the similar problem. And found out the issue is with the usb cable when I connected using a audio usb cable. Initially I used a printer cable and it didn’t work when I used it to connect my PC as well. Do check your cable is working when you connect something like a PC or laptop to your amp.
Thanks for your inputs. Initially I also used an existing cable which I was using with my HP printer which did not work, although it worked when I play the songs from my laptop.
I went ahead and bought a new cable and tried it. But still same issue exists, although I am able to play from my laptop with this cable too.

So my guess is that there could be an issue with me playing it this way, which is connecting as below -
IPhone --> Apple USB Camera adaptor (powered adaptor) --> Integrated Amp's USB port directly via the USB cable. - This is not working

Instead I may have to connect it as below -
IPhone --> Apple USB Camera Adaptor (Powered adaptor) --> DAC --> Integrated Amp via the analog port.

Since I do not have an external DAC, I was trying to see if I can use the DAC of the AMP directly. For now it does not seem to work or this method is not supported.

Thanks for your inputs. Initially I also used an existing cable which I was using with my HP printer which did not work, although it worked when I play the songs from my laptop.
I went ahead and bought a new cable and tried it. But still same issue exists, although I am able to play from my laptop with this cable too.

So my guess is that there could be an issue with me playing it this way, which is connecting as below -
IPhone --> Apple USB Camera adaptor (powered adaptor) --> Integrated Amp's USB port directly via the USB cable. - This is not working

Instead I may have to connect it as below -
IPhone --> Apple USB Camera Adaptor (Powered adaptor) --> DAC --> Integrated Amp via the analog port.

Since I do not have an external DAC, I was trying to see if I can use the DAC of the AMP directly. For now it does not seem to work or this method is not supported.
what’s your iOS version? And what amp you are using?

Device - IPhone XR with IOS Version 14.7.1
Amp - Hegel H160
Adaptor - Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adaptor
USB Cable - Cable Creation Brand USB A male to B male cable

From what I could see, the issue seems to be with the cable. Its a printer cable, even though it’s a type A to type B and structurally same, there’s bit of chance that it won’t work with DACs. This is from my experience of course.
Try restarting your phone and connect again. Also connect the phone charger in the lightning port of cck.
If the above fails, you can try with something like below. Try to get similar cables from any of our FMs and check if it’s working, before buying.

Last edited:
From what I could see, the issue seems to be with the cable. Its a printer cable, even though it’s a type A to type B and structurally same, there’s bit of chance that it won’t work with DACs. This is from my experience of course.
Try restarting your phone and connect again. Also connect the phone charger in the lightning port of cck.
If the above fails, you can try with something like below. Try to get similar cables from any of our FMs and check if it’s working, before buying.

Thanks for your inputs. I will look around to see if I can get hands on the Audio grade USB cable before spending on it and try to see if that works.

I was playing with my CCA with my Android Phone and had a couple of observations about Chromecast.

1. For AM, It reverts to AAC from Lossless/HiRes Lossless when I stream to Chromecast from AM App. It doesn't cast Lossless/HiRes Lossless. But Interestingly, When I cast from Google Home App, AM streams Lossless/HiRes Lossless to the AM app. But, I can't tell what reaches my system as my HT doesn't have that display. If any of you could check with DAC we may know better.

2. On Tidal, When I stream from App to CCA, "Master" falls back to "HiFi". But, When I cast from Google Home App, Tidal continues streaming "Master". Again, what reaches DAC I have no way of knowing.

Hope this helps in some way. I would also like a feedback from you guys about what actually reaches DAC when casting from G Home.

I was playing with my CCA with my Android Phone and had a couple of observations about Chromecast.

1. For AM, It reverts to AAC from Lossless/HiRes Lossless when I stream to Chromecast from AM App. It doesn't cast Lossless/HiRes Lossless. But Interestingly, When I cast from Google Home App, AM streams Lossless/HiRes Lossless to the AM app. But, I can't tell what reaches my system as my HT doesn't have that display. If any of you could check with DAC we may know better.

2. On Tidal, When I stream from App to CCA, "Master" falls back to "HiFi". But, When I cast from Google Home App, Tidal continues streaming "Master". Again, what reaches DAC I have no way of knowing.

Hope this helps in some way. I would also like a feedback from you guys about what actually reaches DAC when casting from G Home.
Do you get any difference in sound in both cases that you can actually hear ?

Apple Music Acquired Primephonic...

Why are you shutting down Primephonic?​

To focus on creating an even better experience for customers around the world. Apple Music plans to launch a dedicated classical music app next year combining Primephonic’s classical user interface that fans have grown to love with more added features.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back