Apple music to launch lossless streaming

What’s everyone’s take on Airplay as the mode to play lossless Apple Music as there’s no native play possibility? For those of us who have streamers, Tidal/Spotify/Qobuz/Radio Paradise benefit from native streaming - the sound quality is better than when Airplaying the same. Or given that AirPlay is their own protocol, Apple Music would somehow be able to leverage it better to overcome the limitation, relatively speaking? It’d be interesting to see.
Airplay just doesn't cut it for me. The SQ is noticeably inferior than direct playback through my PC. The only other time that i use it is when i play it back from my iPad tethered to the DAC but then, i have to get up and go change the tracks manually which is a pain. Which is One of the primary reasons why I've kept Spotify around. Seamless control over multiple devices. Earlier today, i found myself controlling my music streaming on volumio on an an Allo USBridge Player with my cellphone, ipad and laptop depending on what i was using say that moment without having to pick up another device. It's simply beautiful.

Then best case scenario for us ( folks having streamers / AVRs ) , due to Apple's announcement, would be Spotify not charging anything extra for their upcoming lossless hifi streaming tier and make it available for india. Hope it happens

It seems Apple would make good revenues - not by charging extra for lossless, but by way of upgrades to next generation of AirPods and HomePods. This should subsidise the lossless service for audiophiles using wired headphones and stereo systems. Anyway the mass market craves more for the Dolby effects than lossless fidelity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question - how to access the lossless in a stereo setup (without PC, NAS, ITunes etc)
Can it be AirPlayed via phone or streamer/receiver/Amp or have to buy an Apple TV

I have a question - how to access the lossless in a stereo setup (without PC, NAS, ITunes etc)
Can it be AirPlayed via phone or streamer/receiver/Amp or have to buy an Apple TV
You can Airplay lossless music from phone to your streamer/receiver. (I can do that with Primephonic, Radio Paradise and other lossless services, though native play is always preferable where available). You don’t need Apple TV for this purpose.

You can Airplay lossless music from phone to your streamer/receiver. (I can do that with Primephonic, Radio Paradise and other lossless services, though native play is always preferable where available). You don’t need Apple TV for this purpose.
Oh that’s great to hear. Does Apple TV play natively since it has the App ?

Oh that’s great to hear. Does Apple TV play natively since it has the App ?
Apple TV has the Music app. But it’d need to output to a DAC. To my knowledge the newer versions of Apple TV don’t have digital audio out. So you’d have to again depend on AirPlay.

Apple TV has the Music app. But it’d need to output to a DAC. To my knowledge the newer versions of Apple TV don’t have digital audio out. So you’d have to again depend on AirPlay.
Sorry for my noob ness, those who have AV receivers with HDMI, can be benefitted? (Though won’t get int.amp sound quality from avr)

Sorry for my noob ness, those who have AV receivers with HDMI, can be benefitted? (Though won’t get int.amp sound quality from avr)
Yes. I guess so. I didn’t think of an AVR.

Actually thinking of it, aren’t these digital media players like Apple TV sufficient if the popular streaming services have apps for them (not all do) and if they had an optical/coax out to connect to our DACs? That’d save the cost of a streaming transport for us. Wonder if Apple might reintroduce these ports in next versions of Apple TV now that they are upping the streaming SQ with lossless?

I just hope, Apple will make their music API more flexible to 3rd party for a seamless integration like Tidal/Qobuz if they really want their presence felt within the Audiophile community.

I just hope, Apple will make their music API more flexible to 3rd party for a seamless integration like Tidal/Qobuz if they really want their presence felt within the Audiophile community.
Seems unlikely. We form a miniscule part of the demographic that consumes their products. Which is why they seem to have done away with all other outputs else except hdmi, the latter also being solely indicative of their focus being on the larger consumer market in general.

I was playing with their Android app and its too bugging. Every now and then it's crashing. Anyone else facing this?

I was playing with their Android app and its too bugging. Every now and then it's crashing. Anyone else facing this?
What are you doing!! No you are not suppose to criticize their pathetic app here, please read my above posts here and the kind of responses i got just highlighting the same fact.

Seems unlikely. We form a miniscule part of the demographic that consumes their products. Which is why they seem to have done away with all other outputs else except hdmi, the latter also being solely indicative of their focus being on the larger consumer market in general.
Form has been of bigger value to Apple than function. And they are successful as it appeals to our emotional/aesthetic side like few others do.

What are you doing!! No you are not suppose to criticize their pathetic app here, please read my above posts here and the kind of responses i got just highlighting the same fact.
Hehe, writing an App on Android is always a challenge since you have no control over either Hardware or OS (customized skin). For now, I removed their Android App and will revert to their iOS version.

Hehe, writing an App on Android is always a challenge since you have no control over either Hardware or OS (customized skin). For now, I removed their Android App and will revert to their iOS version.

Using it since three years now , maybe more.
Never it has crashed, yes it's not snappy to load music or search results but that does not bother me at all.
P.S. - I don't care if apple is criticized or not, never used any apple hardware. Just sharing my experience of using apply music on an android phone

i have Apple Music on my phone and iPad ..70 million songs seem like a lot of songs ..but i never found this song and some others of the Jerry Garcia Band …Let it Rock: The Jerry Garcia Collection, Volume 2..so i ended up subscribing to YouTube Music too…..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back