Apple music vs Spotify??

Another difference is with spotify connect you can play a song from phone 1. If you switch to phone 2, you will see the same song being played and the same information. With AM if you quit the app, the song will stop playing. I haven't tried his, but I'm pretty sure that if you run AM on phone1 and on phone2, AM doesn't synchronize between the two phones. Both are independent of each other.
I have tried this, and AM doesn't sync. I cannot understand how all of Apple's noise about seamless integration between its apps and devices in its ecosystem have such a flaw! Spotify plays and integrates better on Apple devices than AM, ridiculous!

The problem with Amazon Music and Amazon Prime unlike Tidal and Quboz is that API for them is not available for integratiion by 3rd parties into their renderers. Spotify provides Connect as its exclusive renderer so the streaming is done natively/directly from Spoity servers instead of downloading into the client (here the player on the phone) and then locally streamed to the end device. So the quality gets determined by the client device and limitations/restrictions on the devices/platform by Apple/Amazon

I have tried this, and AM doesn't sync. I cannot understand how all of Apple's noise about seamless integration between its apps and devices in its ecosystem have such a flaw! Spotify plays and integrates better on Apple devices than AM, ridiculous!
both my iphones are in sync on library, downloads, etc. are you referring to that kind of sync ?

Bang on. Spotify works very differently from airplay using AM. When you select a track in spotify app to play on your a device which has the DAC connected, the song data directly goes from the spotify's server to the end device. Your phone is just a dummy giving commands to the end device to select the tracks to be played.

The main difference between them is Airplay streams data from the device you are using to the selected device. Spotify Connect devices all stream from the internet on their own. For Spotify, you will most likely get much better quality sound from Connect. Primary difference is that with Airplay, the sound is being piped through the phone to the end device. The stream quality is highly dependent on your's phone's network connection. With Connect, the phone tells the end device what to play and the spotify service running on the end devices goes and gets the stream directly from spotify server. Phone isn’t needed any more.

Another difference is with spotify connect you can play a song from phone 1. If you switch to phone 2, you will see the same song being played and the same information. With AM if you quit the app, the song will stop playing. I haven't tried his, but I'm pretty sure that if you run AM on phone1 and on phone2, AM doesn't synchronize between the two phones. Both are independent of each other.

Another big advantage of spotify over AM is if your end device is not an apple device. For non-apple devices AM streams AAC, a lossy version of the song (beause only apple devices can play ALAC codec). But the bad thing is that it streams 256 kbps AAC stream. Spotify premium streams at 320 kbps and this gives better sound than AM (and louder as many users have noticed).

See this

That's where my confusion is. I am not using airplay on iPhone.

On both android and iPhone, the streaming is via spotify connect, which means spotify servers are streaming directly to the streamer.

In this case the sound quality should match, but it's not happening.

The Spotify CONNECT feature alone has been ultra convenient for me.

I have tried hard to love AM, twice, and it's been futile. AM UI is not intuitive. I also got better recommendations on Spotify.
On mine I found that the volume while streaming via spotify connect to my Allo boss2 on moode is bit lower compared to airplay.This relates only to spotify.

Bang on. Spotify works very differently from airplay using AM. When you select a track in spotify app to play on your a device which has the DAC connected, the song data directly goes from the spotify's server to the end device. Your phone is just a dummy giving commands to the end device to select the tracks to be played.

The main difference between them is Airplay streams data from the device you are using to the selected device. Spotify Connect devices all stream from the internet on their own. For Spotify, you will most likely get much better quality sound from Connect. Primary difference is that with Airplay, the sound is being piped through the phone to the end device. The stream quality is highly dependent on your's phone's network connection. With Connect, the phone tells the end device what to play and the spotify service running on the end devices goes and gets the stream directly from spotify server. Phone isn’t needed any more.

Another big advantage of spotify over AM is if your end device is not an apple device. For non-apple devices AM streams AAC, a lossy version of the song (beause only apple devices can play ALAC codec). But the bad thing is that it streams 256 kbps AAC stream. Spotify premium streams at 320 kbps and this gives better sound than AM (and louder as many users have noticed).

See this

I did a comparison between AM and Spotify in my setup ( Denon 1700 -> MA Bronze 100, a very basic beginner me). I felt AM sounded better (Always , pure direct )which is playing via Airplay to my avr. Spotify was playing from my acttv connected to my AVR.

I felt AM sounded little brighter and detailed than Spotify (yeaaaaah, im from that lone universe who likes bright sound over neutral and chose MA over QAcoustics :p )

I completely agree on these things,

1. Spotify recommendation and UI is far better than AM
2. Resuming the playback is just good one
3. I have to keep high volume while playing from AM

What I like in AM in my setup
1. Bright and little detailed music
2. AM costs 100 and Spotify 130 :D

After reading messages from multiple posts, i start doubting my ACT Tv Spotify app. Do you think Spotify Connect from AVR will sound better than ACT TV spotify app ? I have played ALAC and FLAC from my act tv KODI - it sounded awesome.

Or Is my because of my sound taste? (that lone universe )

That’s my experience too (while Airplaying from iPhone to CXN). However while playing Spotify natively (Spotify Connect) from the CXN (using iPhone app only for control), the volume is higher than Apple Music through AirPlay. And the sound quality better.

I’d suggest to those who have the facility, to play Spotify natively on their streamer and then compare sound quality with Apple Music which can only be played via Apple Music necessitating the signal to pass through the additional stage of the phone/laptop.

Are you sure? To my knowledge Apple hasn’t opened up native support to any streamer. If in fact it is, then that can be a big differentiator for Lumin over other streamers.

The Streaming protocol from Lumin U2 Mini’s website doesn’t have any Apple Music Connect listed unlike Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect. It only says AirPlay-compatible.

STREAMING PROTOCOL:
  • UPnP AV protocol with audio streaming extension (OpenHome)
  • Roon Ready
  • TIDAL Connect
  • Spotify Connect
  • Flac lossless Radio stations
  • AirPlay-compatible
  • Gapless Playback
  • On-Device Playlist

While AirPlaying from phone too? The prevailing understanding is AirPlay from phone (even iPhone) is in AAC and not ALAC form (don’t go by what the App shows, check what your streamer display/streamer app shows.

I had that peeve too. But then I discovered the Music tab right on top of the Home screen. I click it as soon as I open Spotify (as I don’t have much interest in the podcasts too). The page it then opens is purely music recommendations - singles, albums and playlists, one below tailored for me.

View attachment 72876

This is the workaround I use, but understand that it’s not the same as getting rid of podcasts from the Home Page itself for those not interested. Here’s an interesting discussion on this subject on the Spotify Community forum. It’s a 16 page discussion that shows many Spotify users have voiced the same problem as you.

cool am also going to chime into that discussion there.For me the single annoying thing with spotify is this clutter.I saw the music tab but still

Did anyone find diference in sound quality of spotify, using android v/s iphone?

In both the setup us same and both are directly casting to the streamer, and phones are acting only as remote.

I am not able to comprehend why itsounds different 😒
are the android and iphone of comparable quality.I mean are you comparing a top end android?

I did a comparison between AM and Spotify in my setup ( Denon 1700 -> MA Bronze 100, a very basic beginner me). I felt AM sounded better (Always , pure direct )which is playing via Airplay to my avr. Spotify was playing from my acttv connected to my AVR.

I felt AM sounded little brighter and detailed than Spotify (yeaaaaah, im from that lone universe who likes bright sound over neutral and chose MA over QAcoustics :p )

After reading messages from multiple posts, i start doubting my ACT Tv Spotify app. Do you think Spotify Connect from AVR will sound better than ACT TV spotify app ? I have played ALAC and FLAC from my act tv KODI - it sounded awesome.

Frankly in my case i have streamed spotify using spotify connect and airplay.i think using spotify connect i need to turn the volume a bit more compared to playing the same via airplay.However i will have to check that again and i will update here.In my case it could be the moode software or my allo boss2 etc etc.

See this

Oh so u mean to say that if i have spotify connect enabled on my moode(allo boss2 ) ,the stream comes from spotify server to the spotify connect plugin or are you referring to streamers and/or integrated amps like Yamaha R-N803 which has spotify app installled

AM isnt brighter per say, it just give better/wider frequency response/reproduction in lossless and other higher res modes than compressed audio.

Oh so u mean to say that if i have spotify connect enabled on my moode(allo boss2 ) ,the stream comes from spotify server to the spotify connect plugin or are you referring to streamers and/or integrated amps like Yamaha R-N803 which has spotify app installled
Frankly in my case i have streamed spotify using spotify connect and airplay.i think using spotify connect i need to turn the volume a bit more compared to playing the same via airplay.However i will have to check that again and i will update here.In my case it could be the moode software or my allo boss2 etc etc.
I now understand that you are not using the official Spotify desktop app. For moode and other third party Spotify apps, the default setting streams at lower setting. My internet is down. I will connect with you later and tell you the steps to take. The volume problem is easy to fix.

both my iphones are in sync on library, downloads, etc. are you referring to that kind of sync ?
Syncing while playing. Spotify seamlessly syncs the current song being played to all devices. Apple has a mind of its own in this regard.

Yes aware of this. I was asking @drkrack about it as he mentioned it in his Pt2.

MaSh
Earlier I used to connect via lightning to usb female adapter for connecting spare iphone 11 and ipad Air to DAC.
After buying Lumin U2 Mini, directly streaming from ipad pro m1 works lot better. DAC detects it as 44.1k mostly, which I think is the Lossless format from Apple site.
In apple music the streaming device ( remote control) makes a difference, the eq setting changes are quite dramatic and easily discernible. If you toggle from Lossless to Lossy format streaming of Apple Music on ios, the difference is noticeable with better defined LF and Subtle improvement in overall resolution. For my selection of music, podcasts apple music sounds better.
Will try Spotify again if they launch a Lossless service. There's a discrepancy between Albums ( depending on the original master probably), some Albums sound better on Spotify as well.

Dolby 5.1 Albums sound very good on Apple Music via AVR, they're improving over time.

I have used AM and Spotify on AppleTV and feel AM is better sounding. However if I use Spotify Premium subscription, the quality is on par with AM or even slightly ahead.
The AVR also supports Airplay and Spotify - but I haven't compared them to directly playing on AVR. Mostly happy playing from ATV.

Syncing while playing. Spotify seamlessly syncs the current song being played to all devices. Apple has a mind of its own in this regard.
Yes. Sometimes I see the sync on the last song played and sometimes I dont.

It doesn't matter to me one bit. But thats me.

the thing with apple music is that if you know which song u want to play theres a big chance that the song will sound a bit better but if you dont..thats where inthink spotify shines.i have also played tidal from my phone via airplay to my boss and i can say that yes apple music seems to sound more open or more treble ..i dont know if its my ears that playing the trick on me

I now understand that you are not using the official Spotify desktop app. For moode and other third party Spotify apps, the default setting streams at lower setting. My internet is down. I will connect with you later and tell you the steps to take. The volume problem is easy to fix.
oh ok nice.will wait for your suggestion

oh ok nice.will wait for your suggestion
My internet is back. Airtel fiber cut got repaired. The official spotify client is only for Ubuntu. Unofficial there are plenty and most don't give the quality of the official client

There are just 2-3 3rd party spotify clients for linux which work consistently IME
1. spotifyd https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd
2. librespot https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot.
3.raspotify https://github.com/dtcooper/raspotify (this internally uses the library from the above librespot project). I think this is what moode installs.

See this discussion https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=14

There are 3 things that the 3rd party software are not setting it up for the best playpack
1. Bitrate. Change it to 320 from 160
2. Format. Change it to S32 from S16 (see this )
3. Initial volume. Change it to 100% from 70%

Most of these 3rd party software as a defaul set volume to 75% and bitrate to 160k. So the thing is to find what your distribution is doing and where it is setting it (your's is moode). google search for moode config for spotify turned up a document that says

• Enable Spotify Playback: m → Configure → Audio → Audio Renderers → Spotify renderer → Spotify → ON. (Press EDIT to change the Spotify config to increase the bit rate from the default 160 to 320kbps)
Also if you see the config, the default is set at 70%. Change that to 100%.

1667024918046.png

Let me know if this works for you.

My internet is back. Airtel fiber cut got repaired. The official spotify client is only for Ubuntu. Unofficial there are plenty and most don't give the quality of the official client

There are just 2-3 3rd party spotify clients for linux which work consistently IME
1. spotifyd https://github.com/Spotifyd/spotifyd
2. librespot https://github.com/librespot-org/librespot.
3.raspotify https://github.com/dtcooper/raspotify (this internally uses the library from the above librespot project). I think this is what moode installs.

See this discussion https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=14

There are 3 things that the 3rd party software are not setting it up for the best playpack
1. Bitrate. Change it to 320 from 160
2. Format. Change it to S32 from S16 (see this )
3. Initial volume. Change it to 100% from 70%

Most of these 3rd party software as a defaul set volume to 75% and bitrate to 160k. So the thing is to find what your distribution is doing and where it is setting it (your's is moode). google search for moode config for spotify turned up a document that says

Also if you see the config, the default is set at 70%. Change that to 100%.

View attachment 72902

Let me know if this works for you.
cool i will check and let you know

Spotify is a clear choice here. It has the best playlist offerings and one of the best AI algorithms, which will help you discover the music you like. The radio option through a song will help you get all songs with the same vibes that are playing currently. The only genuine advantage to choosing Apple Music is Lossless Audio. Though Apple Music says they are giving out Lossless Audio, I have never experienced it, even with an AirPods Pro, as they use Bluetooth technology. The Airplay reduces the quality of the songs to AAC, which I feel is inferior to MP3. On the other hand, Spotify has the option to play directly on the Player (if supported by the AVR manufacturer, which is almost all, I guess). If Spotify launches Spotify HI-FI their lossless package (whatever they call when launched) would give Apple a run for its money.

Spotify is a clear choice here. It has the best playlist offerings and one of the best AI algorithms, which will help you discover the music you like. The radio option through a song will help you get all songs with the same vibes that are playing currently. The only genuine advantage to choosing Apple Music is Lossless Audio. Though Apple Music says they are giving out Lossless Audio, I have never experienced it, even with an AirPods Pro, as they use Bluetooth technology. The Airplay reduces the quality of the songs to AAC, which I feel is inferior to MP3. On the other hand, Spotify has the option to play directly on the Player (if supported by the AVR manufacturer, which is almost all, I guess). If Spotify launches Spotify HI-FI their lossless package (whatever they call when launched) would give Apple a run for its money.
Quantity over Quality, is a choice for some and thats ok. Others differ.
AM lossless/high-res(AM just doesn't do lossless 16/44 but goes all the way up to high-res 24/192) and Qobuz can be easily differentiated by decent or good wired headphones or via a dac into a headphone amp or a stereo. So the key here is to use a wired transport.

Lossless or high quality audio is the raison d’etre for high rez music platforms so why expect so much more from them ?

Quantity over Quality, is a choice for some and thats ok. Others differ.
AM lossless/high-res(AM just doesn't do lossless 16/44 but goes all the way up to high-res 24/192) and Qobuz can be easily differentiated by decent or good wired headphones or via a dac into a headphone amp or a stereo. So the key here is to use a wired transport.

Lossless or high quality audio is the raison d’etre for high rez music platforms so why expect so much more from them ?
I am not here to argue or to put my posts above others. The fact that I have written here is my personal opinion which I have expressed through my experience. I do not have the technology, such as a DAC or any other fancy equipment, to experience lossless audio. I only have an AVR, Airpods, and Homepod that all support AirPlay. It is sad that despite giving out Lossless Audio on Apple music, it won't even work on Apple tech without external help.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back