Apple TV 4K - Owners Thread!

Congrats, Does Apple Tv plays DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD files through Plex player?
I don't own an AVR and currently on a stereo setup connected via optical out from the tv so I can't test it properly. When I played TrueHD via Plex, it was transcoded to Opus since no compatible hardware is detected. When I played DTS HD titles Plex shows audio output as DCA. Not sure if it's a direct audio playback or transcoded format. My TV supports Atmos so I will test some Atmos titles in Plex later.

Attachments

• IMG_20230310_192559.jpg
    IMG_20230310_192559.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 13
Has any one used Apple 4kTV to stream lossless music to an external stereo DAC which does not have HDMI

I am moving to Apple TV after facing endless problems with my current setup playing HDR contents. My current setup is LG OLED + Amazon Firestick 4k Max. I have subscribed to Plex as my contents are mainly from shared library via Plex. Playing Dolby Vision on Amazon Firestick 4K Max is a hit or miss. DV profile 5 ( I guess ?) plays fine, while the blueray Remux contents plays only the audio ( DV profile 7 ?) with a black screen and DV logo displayed at the start. It is supposed to fall back to HDR, never happens. So I will switch to LG WebOS plex version. WebOS NEVER played DV, all the DV contents are converted into HDR no matter which profile I plays. I also paid for an app called X-Play hoping that it can play DV on WebOS but again all the DV is converted to HDR.

Now the main reason I am switching to ATV is - some of the files I stream are heavy like 114 GB with high bitrate. I have a 200 Mbps connection and Firestick wifi ( on 5GHz ) keeps bufferring the files. I have a Firestick Lan adaptor and encounter less bufferring if I connect to LAN. But the LAN adaptor supports only 100 mbps and I cannot take advantage of my higher bandwidth. If I connect Lan to my TV, again its not guaranteed that I can have a pleaseant viewing experience. I am guessing the LG TV lan also has a 100mbps limitation. Now the new version ATV has got a 1GBps LAN and I hope my movie experience will improve with this upgrade. I don't have a surround setup so Dolby atoms compatability is no a concern for me, but again plex transcodes the atmos/TrueHD to opus and buferring starts again even if the file size is around 50GB. I am counting on the A15 chip and 1 Gbps lan feature on the ATV.
View attachment 75181
Do you know if the 4k max plays Dolby Vision profile 8 mkv?? I don't have a speaker setup, so lossless audio isn't a problem for me right now, but if you know it can play DV profile 8 and TrueHD/DTS HD mkvs with subtitles in Plex, it will help me.

Few DV plays fine, few plays only audio no Video, I am not sure which profile is that. I have given aWay my Amazon firestick to my friend so I cannot test it now.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back