Apple TV 4K - Owners Thread!

Hi guys, can you please help me to choose between new 2021 Apple TV 4k and Shield pro. I’m really confused which one to go ahead with. I’ll be using it with my Denon 2600h AVR connected to LG 4K tv

P.S. Though I’m heavily invested in Apple ecosystem, but don’t want that to be a reason for any compromise on the picture/sound quality!
If you can get hold of a Shield Pro then get one else Apple TV 4K is decent too. Major disadvantages being Nvidia Shield Pro is supposed to have better upscaling and also supports USB playback both of which are significant advantages. Apple TV 4K on the hand has a really nice interface, the touch sensor on the remote is really amazing and I prefer it above the One X just because it has better audio decoding capabilities (One X just upscales everything to atmos)

Shield is the best option for HT. When it comes to playing all file formats through usb shield is the best device.Also using kodi u can subscribe to real debrid and stream all movies and TV shows
Kodi app is not available on apple tv? Is latest content in 4k available on Kodi?

If you can get hold of a Shield Pro then get one else Apple TV 4K is decent too. Major disadvantages being Nvidia Shield Pro is supposed to have better upscaling and also supports USB playback both of which are significant advantages. Apple TV 4K on the hand has a really nice interface, the touch sensor on the remote is really amazing and I prefer it above the One X just because it has better audio decoding capabilities (One X just upscales everything to atmos)
Thanks @fLUX.
I can get shield pro from US but want to be sure about the pros and cons.
i. Since my Denon 2600h as well as LG TV has 4K upscaling already, will Shield pro upscaling make much of a difference there?
ii. Usb playback: I haven’t tried using pen drive or external hdd on Denon but won’t it be the same whether I use USB on LG tv/Denon avr v/s Shield pro?

Both my TV & AVR got Airplay2 support, so will Apple TV 4k add any difference in picture/audio quality or mirroring?

List your priorities here so that folks can suggest the better device…instead of starting with pros and cons of each box. IMO

Might sound like a stupid question.
Can we play YouTube videos and You Tube music through ATV 4k??
YouTube music is my primary source for music...

Hi,
If your major content is from OTT apps like Netflix, Prime video, Apple Tv etc. ATV 4k is the best. But, if your major content is downloaded movies or local content through hard drive/USB; go with Shield pro.
What is the advantage that ATV has over shield pro?

Thanks @fLUX.
I can get shield pro from US but want to be sure about the pros and cons.
i. Since my Denon 2600h as well as LG TV has 4K upscaling already, will Shield pro upscaling make much of a difference there?
ii. Usb playback: I haven’t tried using pen drive or external hdd on Denon but won’t it be the same whether I use USB on LG tv/Denon avr v/s Shield pro?

Both my TV & AVR got Airplay2 support, so will Apple TV 4k add any difference in picture/audio quality or mirroring?

i) If you have AVR doing video processing in between then I am not sure how much of impact the upscaling in your source device will help. The Nvidia Shield Pro upscaling is well received across (I have not experienced the same so cant comment) .
ii) There are decoding limitations on the TV , I believe the Shield supports much more Video & audio formats than the TV directly. Denon doesn't support video playback over USB, only audio file formats are supported.

There should not be a very noticeable difference in audio as the AVR is ultimately doing the D/A conversion (theoretically airplay over AVR might be the best as there would not be minimal transmission needed) and video wise cant comment as I used the Apple TV 4K directly to the ARC port of the TV and there was no AVR involved.

The audio and video quality of streaming services are better in ATV compared to Shield Pro. One of the forum member had even done comparison between both the devices.
oh nice,can you please link, I dont have any apple devices and hate apple as such, but if it is better, I might invest in it for better quality.

oh nice,can you please link, I dont have any apple devices and hate apple as such, but if it is better, I might invest in it for better quality.

I too dont use much of apple devices, although the Apple TV 4K has been a pleasant introduction and is worth looking at. You can get the previous gen from Amazon , they have released a newer generation (where the Siri remote sells separately).

Hi,
If your major content is from OTT apps like Netflix, Prime video, Apple Tv etc. ATV 4k is the best. But, if your major content is downloaded movies or local content through hard drive/USB; go with Shield pro.
Thanks @revolty, I consume most of the content from OTT platforms only, USB usage is almost zero for movies/music.

The audio and video quality of streaming services are better in ATV compared to Shield Pro. One of the forum member had even done comparison between both the devices.
This can be a deciding factor for people like me who majorly use streaming services only

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back