Apple TV 4K - Owners Thread!

i) If you have AVR doing video processing in between then I am not sure how much of impact the upscaling in your source device will help. The Nvidia Shield Pro upscaling is well received across (I have not experienced the same so cant comment) .
ii) There are decoding limitations on the TV , I believe the Shield supports much more Video & audio formats than the TV directly. Denon doesn't support video playback over USB, only audio file formats are supported.

There should not be a very noticeable difference in audio as the AVR is ultimately doing the D/A conversion (theoretically airplay over AVR might be the best as there would not be minimal transmission needed) and video wise cant comment as I used the Apple TV 4K directly to the ARC port of the TV and there was no AVR involved.
Thanks @fLUX. Your opinion has always helped me.
Regarding pt ii, since I don't use local content, more of a OTT user, so I believe ATV would be better option for me.
Any particular reason of using ATV directly with TV, not via AVR?

Thanks @fLUX. Your opinion has always helped me.
Regarding pt ii, since I don't use local content, more of a OTT user, so I believe ATV would be better option for me.
Any particular reason of using ATV directly with TV, not via AVR?

Thanks for your kind words, the ATV keeps switching between my TV & Projector as per the needs. For the TV there is no HT system, just an active stereo setup connected via optical out of TV hence the reason to connect it directly via the ARC (although ARC also would not be needed technically)

You must consider Xbox One S for OTT content, you would be surprised by audio and video quality of streaming Netflix and Prime.
I have not done an comparison directly , but one fact I find irritating about the Xbox is it upscales everything to Atmos & if I need to avoid that need to change audio settings each time I want to listen to atmos content (considering that its better to turn off atmos as content is relatively lesser)

I have not done an comparison directly , but one fact I find irritating about the Xbox is it upscales everything to Atmos & if I need to avoid that need to change audio settings each time I want to listen to atmos content (considering that its better to turn off atmos as content is relatively lesser)
I play all content as "atmos" and without any fair explanation I could say that it sounds way better (immersive, handling of sound effects, loudness of surrounds, crispiness and dynamics) than playing the same content on any other streaming device. Not sure if Xbox actually upscale every audio format to Atmos or is just some tech glitch and in real the bitstream is passed to AVR in its original format but because the Xbox notification sounds are Atmos .. the AVR show up Atmos and doesn't let shuffle to other formats.

Overall, after spending hours of comparing same scenes across devices .. my dears like Xbox best :)

I play all content as "atmos" and without any fair explanation I could say that it sounds way better (immersive, handling of sound effects, loudness of surrounds, crispiness and dynamics) than playing the same content on any other streaming device. Not sure if Xbox actually upscale every audio format to Atmos or is just some tech glitch and in real the bitstream is passed to AVR in its original format but because the Xbox notification sounds are Atmos .. the AVR show up Atmos and doesn't let shuffle to other formats.

Overall, after spending hours of comparing same scenes across devices .. my dears like Xbox best :)
Does Xbox have Airplay support for easy and glitch free mirroring with iPhone/Macbooks?
And does it offer everything which ATV/Nvidia shield offers?

oh nice,can you please link, I dont have any apple devices and hate apple as such, but if it is better, I might invest in it for better quality.
Hi,
Sorry, i forgot the link. But, even i am sailing in the same boat. Now that ATV 4k is launching newer version of the box. I will wait and watch.

Xbox One S/X are very capable media devices, i have so far used them for

i) OTT Streaming - Video/Audio quality as Ankit mentioned is good, however to me the atmos display is more annoying & its known to upscale content according to reviews too (something which I dont prefer)
II) Physical Media - This was an important criteria while I got the Xbox , that it should play 4k Discs should I have an collection of one in future. But so far I have not invested onto this end and have been mainly streaming.
iii) Audio CD playback - Don't think the Xbox does this really well, find the bass to be a dominating factor and vocals recessed in comparison to my el cheapo Panasonic BR player. Using the optical out to DAC in both the cases and still there is a fair bit of difference.
iv) NAS Playback - As suggested above , does not play all formats. But still plays a good part of my offline collection. The Apple TV 4K plays almost all my collection (I dont have much atmos movies offline so works for me)

Last edited:
Awesome.. is it stable.. how difficult or easy it is?
It is very straightforward and stable. I have streamed both 1080p and 4k HDR movies from my PC. Faced some buffering issues with the 4k HDR content but I suspect that has to do with the wifi.

Xbox One S/X are very capable media devices, i have so far used them for

i) OTT Streaming - Video/Audio quality as Ankit mentioned is good, however to me the atmos display is more annoying & its known to upscale content according to reviews too (something which I dont prefer)
II) Physical Media - This was an important criteria while I got the Xbox , that it should play 4k Discs should I have an collection of one in future. But so far I have not invested onto this end and have been mainly streaming.
iii) Audio CD playback - Don't think the Xbox does this really well, find the bass to be a dominating factor and vocals recessed in comparison to my el cheapo Panasonic BR player. Using the optical out to DAC in both the cases and still there is a fair bit of difference.
iv) NAS Playback - As suggested above , does not play all formats. But still plays a good part of my offline collection. The Apple TV 4K plays almost all my collection (I dont have much atmos movies offline so works for me)
BTW does Xbox upscales videos? like FHD to 4k? My usage is 90% OTT now currently using Firestick 4k. In dilemma between shield & xbox series s.

Hello respected ATV 4k owners,

Can you please connect any Bluetooth Headphone to your Apple TV 4K and check if the Netflix App Drop the resolution from 4K to HD?
Can you confirm this just once connecting any BT headphones / Audio device?

I know Apple TV or Shield TV is not built to consume with BT headsets...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back