Are Balance & Gain Controls Necessary in Pre-Amps???

greenhorn.... YES !

Infact some of the better Rumble filters did not cut off low Bass, but instead just did a mono for the bass (below 50 Hz) only, which is (arguably) a non directional signal, since the bass wavelength is Much larger than the room dimensions...

Jatt Boy

I think you have missed the point that i am making .....

A High Pass ( Low Freq Cut) rumble filter will also kill Bass, an Important part of music, in the 20 Hz to 40 Hz region.

A filter that will Mono the bass below 50 Hz will Not curt bass from the music but will magicaly remove all rumble.... !

Jatt Boy

I think you have missed the point that i am making .....

A High Pass ( Low Freq Cut) rumble filter will also kill Bass, an Important part of music, in the 20 Hz to 40 Hz region.

A filter that will Mono the bass below 50 Hz will Not curt bass from the music but will magicaly remove all rumble.... !

Yes, it will kill the bass to some extent, but are you sure most of the LPs have music around 20-30hz. I have read somewhere that LPs are mostly limited in music content below 40hz to keep the playing time long enough.
High-pass filter with steep roll off can also help which has lesser chances of attenuating the bass.

How come a mono switch will remove the rumble, what is the logic behind this?:sad:

How come a mono switch will remove the rumble, what is the logic behind this?:sad:

The cartridge detects the sound from the groove walls as vibration. The moving magnets are arranged in the opposite direction laterally, so any horizontal component of the the rumble will get cancelled out because it will be the same signal in opposite phase on both channels.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back