Are Mobile screens (HDR10, WCG) superseding Television / Projector displays that most have owned ?..

elangoas

I purchased Asus 6Z (Zenfone series) last year.. At that time i didn't pay attention to HDR capability of the display.. It was HDR 10 capable.. Honestly, i wasn't too concerned what that feature on a mobile display would do..

Accidentally, someday i played an HDR video from Youtube and suddenly noticed that display was much brighter than it usually be when playing SDR content.. From then on, i tried playing more HDR content and noticed the puny 1080p + HDR capability of my mobile..

Googling for HDR capable mobiles, i then find most flagship phones are HDR 10 capable, some even HDR 10+ (Samsung) and the most recent launches..

mobile-hdr-premium-logo.jpg

There is Mobile HDR Premium specification, that a mobile display meets certain criteria.. https://www.experienceuhd.com/uhd-mobile-hdr-premium-features

Mobile HDR Premium is most comparable to HDR10, but with slightly lesser technical criteria. The specifications of mobile HDR Premium mandates a resolution of 60 pixels per degree, a dynamic range from 0.0005 nits to 550 nits, a colour range with 90 % of P3 colour gamut, and a bit depth of 10

10bits, HDR, WCG, DCI-P3 specs seem great for a small display.. Also noticed some midrange mobiles, <20K price bracket too have this feature.. At this rate, may be in the next 1 - 2 yrs, most budget offering also may feature HDR displays.. This is grossly better than the 1080p televisions sets most have owned..

In this fashion, i believe everyone's mobile display sooner or later would be far superior to the television sets they have owned.. I think HDR will be a defacto for videos very soon..

Guess it’s expected that screen innovation (including resolution) first comes to smaller (mobile) screen before it hits the bigger screen.

I'm using a Asus Zenfone 5z and it also supports HDR. YouTube HDR videos looks better than SDR, but can't compare it to a OLED screen!

Yes mobile screens are for better than most of TVs and projectors better not talk about them. Try to watch 4K HDR movie on OnePlus 8 Pro. One of the best display available on smartphones and ironically supplied by Samsung(better than S20 ultra).

Although my modest Nokia 7.1 has the HDR 10 capability & has a superb display but for movies I have always preferred the bigger screen of the TV . In fact for movies would prefer a decent quality projector with a bigger screen than a smaller led TV. But of course that is subjective.

Me too using Asus6z but find the HDR underwhelming on an LCD screen but luks much better on a oled mobile panel.

I'm using a Asus Zenfone 5z and it also supports HDR. YouTube HDR videos looks better than SDR, but can't compare it to a OLED screen!

It is ok, if it isn't comparable to OLED screen. But from what we have been used to watching SDR videos, HDR capable videos and the DCI-P3 is itself a great step-up experience for a small screen..

BTW, Asus is ready with 7 & 7 Pro models, both will flip cameras, AMOLED display and possibly HDR 10+.. Defnetly one to watch-out for..

Yes mobile screens are for better than most of TVs and projectors better not talk about them.

I have seen that myself with my mobile.. Why is that.. You mean it would irk some comments?..

Try to watch 4K HDR movie on OnePlus 8 Pro. One of the best display available on smartphones and ironically supplied by Samsung(better than S20 ultra).

Yeah.. Just read abt One plus 8 Pro display capability.. Seems colour accurate.. That is nice to know.. Not very sure if premium TV's are accurate out of the box..

Although my modest Nokia 7.1 has the HDR 10 capability & has a superb display but for movies I have always preferred the bigger screen of the TV . In fact for movies would prefer a decent quality projector with a bigger screen than a smaller led TV. But of course that is subjective.

I think large screen 4K TV's are beginning to be affordable, and we may soon see 75/85 inches TV under 1 Lac, challenging the screen-size upto ~ 100 inches..

Nokia is one manufacturer who has HDR 10 & DCI-P3 capable display under 15K budget..

I think large screen 4K TV's are beginning to be affordable, and we may soon see 75/85 inches TV under 1 Lac, challenging the screen-size upto ~ 100 inches..

Nokia is one manufacturer who has HDR 10 & DCI-P3 capable display under 15K budget..

If the price falls down to that extent then it would be great. Nokia is value for money with excellent finish, build quality & made in India :)

If the price falls down to that extent then it would be great.

Yes, seems so.. I found Xiaomi, TCL, Nokia, Motorola large screen TV for abt lil over 1 Lac online..

Nokia is value for money with excellent finish, build quality & made in India :)

True it is a nice Android one phone.. Hope they are manufactured in India..

Yes, seems so.. I found Xiaomi, TCL, Nokia, Motorola large screen TV for abt lil over 1 Lac online..

True it is a nice Android one phone.. Hope they are manufactured in India..

Yes , at least Nokia claims they are manufactured in India. Compared the Nokia 7.1 display with Iphone 7, clear winner was Nokia.

Due to convenience and portability, many people prefer watching full length movies on their mobile sets instead of TVs. However, there is also a trend towards low cost projectors in certain section where HDR capabilities do not matter as yet.

I purchased Asus 6Z (Zenfone series) last year.. At that time i didn't pay attention to HDR capability of the display.. It was HDR 10 capable.. Honestly, i wasn't too concerned what that feature on a mobile display would do..

Accidentally, someday i played an HDR video from Youtube and suddenly noticed that display was much brighter than it usually be when playing SDR content.. From then on, i tried playing more HDR content and noticed the puny 1080p + HDR capability of my mobile..

Googling for HDR capable mobiles, i then find most flagship phones are HDR 10 capable, some even HDR 10+ (Samsung) and the most recent launches..

mobile-hdr-premium-logo.jpg

There is Mobile HDR Premium specification, that a mobile display meets certain criteria.. https://www.experienceuhd.com/uhd-mobile-hdr-premium-features

10bits, HDR, WCG, DCI-P3 specs seem great for a small display.. Also noticed some midrange mobiles, <20K price bracket too have this feature.. At this rate, may be in the next 1 - 2 yrs, most budget offering also may feature HDR displays.. This is grossly better than the 1080p televisions sets most have owned..

In this fashion, i believe everyone's mobile display sooner or later would be far superior to the television sets they have owned.. I think HDR will be a defacto for videos very soon..

Nice thread. Did not notice this fact earlier.

Mobile processor Snapdragon SD 855 seems capable of recording videos in HDR 10+.. And Snapdragon 865 seems to have capability to record videos in Dolby vision..

I think pretty soon, we will see Dolby Vision & HDR 10+ video recording features on mobiles..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back