Are Rear ported floor standing speakers are really that bad with less space behind it?

View attachment 37512

This is my living room 5.1.4 atmos setup. My speakers needed a minimum of 45 cms behind them to stop booming. So they are pulled into the room awkwardly. But one gets used to it in a week. So not a deal breaker there. Only ocassionsl visitors find it queer. But my family are completely oblivious to it now
Nice home btw.

The designer wall in the lobby may be is cool.

Thanks again vivek :)

There is actually a completely mirrored wall next to it. That really adds a sense of space in a apartment. Though I don't unfortunately have many pics of the room as of now

I am now designing a hifi rack for my system, which looks identical to this . Will share my build thread once Iam done :)

IMG-20190719-WA0022.jpg

View attachment 37512

This is my living room 5.1.4 atmos setup. My speakers needed a minimum of 45 cms behind them to stop booming. So they are pulled into the room awkwardly. But one gets used to it in a week. So not a deal breaker there. Only ocassionsl visitors find it queer. But my family are completely oblivious to it now

Wow!! Nice neat setup and beautifully appointed interiors.

If I were to anthropomorphize the setup it would be like this:
- the TV screen are the eyes with a wide shades on them
- the towers the ears
- the center channel speaker the nose, the black band below a straight mustache
-
and finally the AVR like the tongue sticking out :p

BTW, why are the stickers on the TV still on?
Cheers,
Raghu

- the towers the ears
-

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your very kind words raghu...I feel really happy when someone appreciates my interiors. Especially so, because it was designed by myself on a very tight budget, and I only gave a material and labour contract, keeping a firm grip on the costs. It was never a money no object room. I had to be very careful to get the expensive look for peanuts. And anyone would be surprised to know how much it costed in the end. Hence my joy and delight :)

Those are some old pics, almost 2 years old now . The stickers are gone now I can assure :D

- the towers the ears
-

Cheers,
Raghu

By the way I forgot to mention. The AVR is actually inside the flat rack, which is a old marantz SR6011. The silver box sitting on the floor is the parasound halo integrated. Being driven via its HT bypass inputs from the marantz, driving the Qacoustics concept 40 speakers for HT and music. The parasound was a after thought. Otherwise would have built a bigger rack to accommodate that too :D

While learning more about speakers, I came across this question. Your opinion will be highly useful when I decide about my HT setup in a couple of months. Most probably I can't leave more than half a foot behind floor standing speakers. Now a days most FS speakers are rear ported. Will it have significant impact on SQ?

Why dont you buy a front ported FS like polk etc?

I think I owe a apology to swamytk for hijacking his thread. Iam really sorry bro. Didn't know the thread would get derailed..So I will keep quiet now. Fondly hope our experienced forum members can give you the advice you are looking for . Sorry again..And bye

My paradigm monitor 11s are rear ported (2 ports each) and kept about 5 inches from the wall . It's not a big issue as other FMs have pointed out, set your speakers to small and control the bass using tone controls. Add a good sub, it will be fine.

View attachment 37512

Awesome work! Your hardwork shown in every inch of interior.

I think I owe a apology to swamytk for hijacking his thread. Iam really sorry bro. Didn't know the thread would get derailed..So I will keep quiet now. Fondly hope our experienced forum members can give you the advice you are looking for . Sorry again..And bye
No worries, buddy. Cool. Your picture is helpful for me and I am feeling good. I am in a rented apartment. I know the pain in laying out even a simple casing capping for speakers and TV cables. You deserve appreciation. Cool.

@swamytk
With a 23 feet wide wall where the TV is hosted, the worry of side wall reflections are not there.
But do pay attention to the 12 feet distance between front (TV side) and back (seating side) walls.
Your stereo speakers are down ported, if I am correct. They are relatively benevolent when it comes to placement.
Ping someone local and borrow a rear and/or front ported BS speaker pair.
Then hook it up to your IA and hear the room response at various speaker positions.
Then extrapolate how FS may excite your listening space.
Cheers,
Raghu

@swamytk
With a 23 feet wide wall where the TV is hosted, the worry of side wall reflections are not there.
But do pay attention to the 12 feet distance between front (TV side) and back (seating side) walls.
Your stereo speakers are down ported, if I am correct. They are relatively benevolent when it comes to placement.
Ping someone local and borrow a rear and/or front ported BS speaker pair.
Then hook it up to your IA and hear the room response at various speaker positions.
Then extrapolate how FS may excite your listening space.
Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks. It makes sense. Let me try to do the same.

I think small FS like Dali Zensor 5 will work best. Larger ones might have issues.
Also biggest in a series may not be the best.
The Z5 was rated more musical than the Z7 by one or two reviewers. Same was for some of earlier Monitor Audio series.
That said, I love the look of bookshelves on nice dual pillar stands. FS look dull in comparison :).

No worries, buddy. Cool. Your picture is helpful for me and I am feeling good. I am in a rented apartment. I know the pain in laying out even a simple casing capping for speakers and TV cables. You deserve appreciation. Cool.

Thanks for your kind words Swamytk :)

And all the best for your hunt for new speakers :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back