Are Rear ported floor standing speakers are really that bad with less space behind it?

swamytk

While learning more about speakers, I came across this question. Your opinion will be highly useful when I decide about my HT setup in a couple of months. Most probably I can't leave more than half a foot behind floor standing speakers. Now a days most FS speakers are rear ported. Will it have significant impact on SQ?

Yes. Rear ported speakers tend to misbehave (or make the room misbehave) more than front ported or sealed speakers.
They perform better when given space around them.
If doing HT exclusively, specially in a smallish room, do consider stand mount or bookshelves.
And add a good center plus sub (or two).
Cheers,
Raghu

They perform better when given space around them.
I am being not a audiophile, will it be significantly better?
If doing HT exclusively, specially in a smallish room, do consider stand mount or bookshelves.
I am planning to have it in Living room of large size shown below. Still it makes a significant difference?
Size 23' X 12'
Height 9'
276 sqft
2500 cuft
TV on 23' side
Planned listening distance 10'

Front ported or sealed designs like KEF Q500 with smaller woofers are good for small sized rooms, but will need a sub woofer for the LFE in movies.

Front ported or sealed designs like KEF Q500 with smaller woofers are good for small sized rooms, but will need a sub woofer for the LFE in movies.
How about for room size shown above? It is not small room, right?

While learning more about speakers, I came across this question. Your opinion will be highly useful when I decide about my HT setup in a couple of months. Most probably I can't leave more than half a foot behind floor standing speakers. Now a days most FS speakers are rear ported. Will it have significant impact on SQ?

In my opinion, 6 inches is more than enough space for these ports....i have my Rear ported BiC America PL 200 series 1 subwoofer as close as 3 inches apart from the wall......i dont face any rumbling or excessive bass issues.....audyssey takes care of configuration and frequencies during setup and i dont think floor standing speakers will emit bass lower than 35hz to be too concerned......it should work...

If not and there seems to be too much rumble bass....perhaps then you can angle these speakers 25 to 35 degrees inward to the listening position ...this may help to add additional space behind sideways......

If you can audition these speakers...request the dealer to place them to the wall as close as possible and demo a bassy track or movie clip so that you are satisfied to some extent....

Last edited:
I am being not a audiophile, will it be significantly better?

I am planning to have it in Living room of large size shown below. Still it makes a significant difference?

Rear ported speakers close to walls and corners take their support and beef up LF.
So sometimes they can sound boomy and muddy. You begin to listen to the room.

Your listening space seems big sideways, but do consider that front to back wall is 12 feet.
So you will have to deal with:
- sound from driver (intended)
- sound reflected from front wall (unintended but can be mitigated)
- sound reflected from back wall (unintended but can be mitigated)
AVRs usually do their magic in taming the room to a certain extant using room correction.

Cheers,
Raghu

In a HT set-up, speakers are usually set as SMALL in settings and the bass from the mains are routed to the subwoofer via AVR's internal crossover for faithful low freq reproduction (Usually 80 Hz).. It is still fine to use a rear ported FS close to wall, as the FS wouldn't be producing lowest bass..

But when a BS can do the same function, why choose a FS when there are no benefit..

In a HT set-up, speakers are usually set as SMALL in settings and the bass from the mains are routed to the subwoofer via AVR's internal crossover for faithful low freq reproduction (Usually 80 Hz).. It is still fine to use a rear ported FS close to wall, as the FS wouldn't be producing lowest bass..

But when a BS can do the same function, why choose a FS when there are no benefit..
It is a rented apartment - I can't wall mount speakers. BS need stands again. Considering that floorstanders looks good from aesthetic sense too.

As Raghupb has already covered most points. There is a tweak to reduce the impact of the speakers rear port which involves stuffing it with straws so that the large port became many smaller ports and the air pressure gets dissipated faster.
Never tried it myself but was popular in Singapore during early 2000's :)

As Raghupb has already covered most points. There is a tweak to reduce the impact of the speakers rear port which involves stuffing it with straws so that the large port became many smaller ports and the air pressure gets dissipated faster.
Creative. Thanks.

Thanks for your quick feedback. I understood from this discussion that LFE is the one worst affected due to closeness with wall. If speaker is configured as small and used alongwith Sub, it should be good. I see this alongwith AVR's calibration capability which can fine tune sound characteristics, compensating half a foot distance of speakers from wall.

Any bad misunderstanding here?

Many models of FS and some BS come with bungs/stuffers or what I call "butt-plugs"
They help to some extent in reducing room boom.
Cheers,
Raghu

What space are you planning to have behind your speakers?
What's the maximum that you can have?

I have rear ported Bostan Acoustic A360 are are 8 inches away from rear wall. They are set as large and just working fine. Have never experienced anything boom in low end. I am using pure direct mode for music listening which reduces bass boom but increase the agility and tighten the low end. Foam plugs , straws etc are use to tune the low frequencies if necessary. AVR or amplifier manual tone controls can also help to fine tune the overall sound signature.

What space are you planning to have behind your speakers?
What's the maximum that you can have?
Max I can leave half a foot (6"). Any thing more than that will leave Speaker protruding in hall - not practical and not aesthetic.

IMG-20190719-WA0021.jpg

This is my living room 5.1.4 atmos setup. My speakers needed a minimum of 45 cms behind them to stop booming. So they are pulled into the room awkwardly. But one gets used to it in a week. So not a deal breaker there. Only ocassionsl visitors find it queer. But my family are completely oblivious to it now

I have Klipsch RP 8000F set to small. They are around a foot from the back wall. No issues. Tried to pull in to the room as well no difference.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back