Are these speakers too big? Subwoofer too big?

xxnonamexx

My wife is thinking these front speakers are too big. The subwoofer is too big as we replaced home entertainment center furniture and might need to get a smaller subwoofer. Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rears are fine and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch. I have seen some that are under couch that would work to be out of sight. Any ideas Thanks. ht.png

My wife is thinking these front speakers are too big. The subwoofer is too big as we replaced home entertainment center furniture and might need to get a smaller subwoofer. Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rears are fine and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch. I have seen some that are under couch that would work to be out of sight. Any ideas Thanks.
From personal experience of myself and my friends, a wife who's not interested in music and movies, like how you seem to be will make the circumstances in the house such that you will give in to all her demands just for some peace and quiet.

You have two choices, take a stand and some fights to keep what you have or give in completely and buy what she selects.

Wives who think that the house is their domain and want everything the way they want will be satisfied only with you listening to music on a small Bluetooth speaker in the balcony even headphones are banned as it prevents you from hearing their nagging.

All of us who gave in to these demands in the early phase of married life are all regretting doing so later on in life, so beware

My wife is thinking these front speakers are too big. The subwoofer is too big as we replaced home entertainment center furniture and might need to get a smaller subwoofer. Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rears are fine and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch. I have seen some that are under couch that would work to be out of sight. Any ideas Thanks. View attachment 67456
They are not too big. But in my opinion they are not asthetically pleasing . These have sharp corners. You can select better looking speakers such as kef, q acoustics etc . For even smaller speaker you may have to go with satellites from Kef(egg shaped).
For sub you can look at REL series .

My wife is thinking these front speakers are too big. The subwoofer is too big as we replaced home entertainment center furniture and might need to get a smaller subwoofer. Denon X3700H AVR Receiver. NHT Super Center 2.1 Center Channel Speaker 2 NHT SuperOne 2.1 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker 2 rears are fine and a powered subwoofer SUB 550P 500W, 10-inch. I have seen some that are under couch that would work to be out of sight. Any ideas Thanks.
On the contrary, they are not big at all.

I can help you from an aesthetics and an audio basics point of view. The only change I would make is to bring the speakers down to the height of your table. Ideally, the tweeter needs to be at the ear level, when you're sitting, unless you listen to music standing up!
This will not only make the speakers look well incorporated with your Entertainment Centre, but will also be aesthetically pleasing. The Sub looks fine as is.

Speakers are fine, just bring it down to ear level or below which will help you to hide the so called 'gigantism' of the speaker. Even I feel the TV is slightly higher, than what it should be.
Sub is perfect, dont change it

Tip - ask your wife to take a membership in hifivision ;-)

By looking at the Title , first i thought u would be using Big tower speakers + 15" Sub woofers :):). These speakers are not oversized for your room size. Even 12" Sub+ Towers will perform even better in your room.

If you want to hide your speakers really , Try with square type cabinets which may be available in amazon ,or work with your carpenter and tuck your speakers inside (Do not keep the speakers in depth ,which might do echo) And You may try to move the sub woofer behind couch/sofa , or to the corner which will easily hide the sub woofer as well.

I will recommend completely move your setup to the other side of room - where there are no doors / or entrance. by that way u can easily hide sub and your sound stage also will be improved.

Now i know the reason why some people going for Bose speakers :):) with wife's decision. Which can be tucked inside cabinets easily. But still their woofer's are bigger.

Many people have this difficulty. Everything depends on how much you like your speakers (no I didn't say wife) and what domestic tradeoffs are going-on :)

Aesthetically to my eyes, it's both the dominance of the black and how they are mounted to protrude. I like the idea of lowering them -- they would almost blend. And then maybe this costs you a large shelf all the way across the wall under the TV, etc.

Now, if that whole wall section had two flanking, tall bookcases, your speakers would be invisible (but it might cost you two bookcases).

Sometimes it helps to enlist your partner's aid to hide them, but this depends on how long/permanent your stay will be or ownership details, etc. For example, many people succeed by finding a close-enough fabric to their wall colors and wrap their speakers. If you use (say) 18-count linen, etc, the acoustics are fine. Special colors might need dye and this bit you can share in choosing colors, etc.

If you really like your speakers, I might consider trying to make them visually blend a bit better. If you hate them, you might convert the objections into an opportunity to get new ones you want (and maybe seek assistance selecting colors). Some people get by with just setting their original grilles in storage and making new ones that approximate the wall colors, etc.

Here are some really fast attempts to see if it makes any difference to you. Good luck.

(I do not think they are big at all, though).

Attachments

• ht_ideas.jpg
    ht_ideas.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for all of your suggestion's. It appears to fit well with the new entertainment center. The speakers are angled downward as when I first purchased these I was told this was how they should be installed. I think if I lower them the wife will definitely say they are in the way get rid of them lol. The tv might be a tad high due to previous tv and entertainment center. I will leave it as is since I would need to lower the bracket and center speaker which wife thinks is too big as well lol. Maybe the next bigger tv I will adjust it all. I have seen some higher over fireplaces etc.

Attachments

• tv2.png
    tv2.png
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 26
Back