Are tone controls necessary on an integrated amplifier ?

the tone controls or eq or DSP is to correct the sound reaching at the listening spot. Most tone controls are set at frequencies that are mostly problematic to most rooms. I would say pure line amps sound only good in an acoustic chamber
Really? Appears to be quite a sweeping statement!
I would like to know the EQ frequencies chosen by various manufacturers like Denon, MArantz, NAD, Bose (*gasp*) etc.
The problematic frequencies in most room is due to standing waves and comb filter effect due to room dimensions (typically between 10 feet and 20 feet).
For example, the Ifi Zen DAC has a one click bass boost function which is simply superb and works wonders in my room. There is a massive difference in the bass response with it switched on Vs switched off. And it accomplishes this with minimal to no intrusion on the mids depending on the speaker i.e. you can hear it in some while totally inaudible in others.

The RME ADI-2 DAC has a 7 band PEQ (advertised as 5 band but effectively 7 via the lastest firmware update) through which you can define Q values, frequency, peak etc. To get a similarly gratifying response to the ifi zen DAC's bass boost, i had to perform a number of REW measurements and tweaks on the PEQ to get it right. And i would imagine that this process would be daunting to many as it not only involves a lot of effort but also an understanding of the basics, not to mention a certain level of comfort with computers (for measurements etc).
You are simply referring to most people's preference to boosted bass response (frequency lower than 80-100 Hz) vs flat frequency response.
This is not room / equipment correction.

the tone controls or eq or DSP is to correct the sound reaching at the listening spot. Most tone controls are set at frequencies that are mostly problematic to most rooms. I would say pure line amps sound only good in an acoustic chamber
I’ve a pure line tube preamp with just a high pass roll off filter. Nothing else , no tone controls.
My room is far from being an acoustic chamber , in fact there is zero room treatment. Come and have a listen. :)

For reference: I’ve heard a few stereo setups (analog/ digital )at houses of veteran audiophiles costing close to 10L.

You are simply referring to most people's preference to boosted bass response (frequency lower than 80-100 Hz) vs flat frequency response.
Yes, you are correct. That is why it is labelled as "bass boost" and not "room EQ". BTW, talking about equipment correction, ifi has a whole line of DACs and Amps which are equipment matched.

With respect to the bass boost feature of the Ifi Zen DAC, it does not seem to be simply raising the bass below 100-80hz... the manner in which they have done it i.e. the rate, level, q factor of increase at certain frequencies seems to be spot on for typical rooms/gear or at the very least, my gear. I tried replicating the same curve on the RME ADI-2 DAC and it has taken much more doing than a simple linear boost of the frequencies below 60-80-100-120hz.

Now why do I think that ifi must have tuned their bass boost according to the typical frequency response of amps and speakers of that price range? Well, i do happen to watch online lectures by speaker/amp designers and the common thread that i've found in what they espouse is that they typically try to build something that matches well with price appropriate gear, especially in the budget segment. Which is why, they test it with such equipment or so they claim. Now, what they claim may be absolute hogwash, but to my mind, it does make a lot of sense and the Ifi Zen DAC has made me a believer.

P.S: - i have come across bass boost in plenty of other gear and somehow, it does not seem to work as well as the Ifi bass boost. Maybe equipment manufacturers, very much like me with the RME, simply do not know how to raise frequency response below 80-100hz in a linear fashion if thats all there is to it. ;)

Last edited:
Really? Appears to be quite a sweeping statement!
I would like to know the EQ frequencies chosen by various manufacturers like Denon, MArantz, NAD, Bose (*gasp*) etc.
The problematic frequencies in most room is due to standing waves and comb filter effect due to room dimensions (typically between 10 feet and 20 feet).

Typically older amps had bass and treble controls at around 100hz and 10khz. This is mostly the “boom” and “bright” territory in terms of rooms in most cases. So, it’s the least a company could give to “fix” some basic problems instead of giving a graphic equalizer.

My amp has no DSP or equalizer, it’s just a pure power amp. Even though my speakers sound realitively flat on paper per measurements. They sound no where near that at my spot in my typical living room. But that doesn’t mean “subjevtively “ it’s bad. I keep it a position where it’s “acceptable” to me.

When you say “come home and listen” i believe you aren’t hearing anything “bad” but i won’t agree that’s not how it would sound in an acoustic chamber.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back