Asus O!Play HD2

drkavint

i have planned 2 buy asus hd2 media player..i dont have wifi..i got 2 tb external seagate loaded with movies AND 50'' lg tv PLASMA..at present viewing movies using gom player on amd quadcore 3.2GHZ, 6gb ram,winows7 64 bit computer via HDMI ..though using wireless keyboard & mouse,,i love using remote control...local asus dealer guarantee service back up and proposed price tag of rs.7500.i love extremer pro(RS.14500), but double the price..i got few hd songs,,so planned to use 500gb harddisc in asus...so skipped asus omini(RS.4100)...
I REQUEST MEMBERS TO ADVICE ME ABOUT THIS SELECTION AND PURCHASE....THANK YOU...;)

Got the hd2 player, yesterday ,i just love the options, its simple to use.. Not yet used network settings. Superb sound output.. Shocked as it is better than my pc.. The video quality is better than wmp, but not as good as gom player. I get 2 channel output when use tv.hooked to lg home theater for bitstream dts tracks.. Unlike my pc, the audio outputs can be set independently lpcm for hdmi.. Raw for optical output..both outputs same time independently.. Player plays all formats played by my gom player.. Got 3 tb hard discs of movies collection.. Yesterday i enjoyed watching avatar bluray iso 47 gb file.. Of course enjoyed it in dts, (not dts-hd)..i will soon post pic after update...no hang / pixalation.. But i do feel upscaling is not too good as my lg plasma tv..planning to add 1 tb internal hd so that i can load all my videosongs collection..

I am also getting this player today. Can you pls let me know the cost?
thanks and congrtas!

i got for 7500.. one year warranty. at namakkal. i had upgraded firmware online immediately. yestrerday i bought 1 tb harddisk, seagate for 2500.. to my shock it was in not supported serial given by asus.but i had already opened cover, so with lots of fear i first mounted to asus, formatted then connected to my pc as internal drive. i partitioned the harddisk in to two using shrink volume function( windows7- 64 bit disk management). one partition i loaded with my kids and family photo, videos, rhymes(iso files i created from dvds), superman, spiderman, heman, tom and jerry cartoon series. total of 250 gb. in second partition i loaded hindi, tamil, telugu, few english and avatar bluray (50 gb collectors edition disk i downloaded via torrent). it took night 2 p.m. wow wow wow... all files worked beautifully and no problem checked most of files... slept deeply with a sigh happily. woke at only at 10.

my opinion
1. good player for 7500,
2. indian make and service available in india.
3.plays all formats i have.. iso, blurays, 720p, all 1080p, flv files..
4. not bothered about updates, because i have not faced any problem.
5.on playing avatar bluray 1080p file, my player did awesome bitstream of dts, my pc had recognised the audio stream as dts-hd, asus recognised as 6 ch english,my home theater lg recognised and decoded it as dts, i dont know whether it is dts/dts hd, but all know is the effect was superb.
5. to my experience it can bitstream dts-hd and dolby up to 5.1 via optical. have no idea about hdmi.
6. when i watch tamil/ hindi i just use tv speakers only,for english dts/ dolby i use ht.. unlike my pc i can use both hdmi and optical output simultaneously with out changing settings.
7. online services are horrible, non work, i read that in india most of the private internet operators servers have firewall , may face problem,,i got airtel, may be bsnl should work.
8. no wifi---- i dont have wifi at home, but since the player has total 3 usb jack, one can be used for wifi adaptor
9. usb 3.0 no use as neither do i have one nor is of any use for increase in clarity, just for file transfers it is good..
10.unlike some review said
------------10a. u can delete files,
------------10b. can bitstream dts-hd
11. i love the user friendly remote and design.
12. though reviews loved no manual front button i wish they had atleast on and off switch
13. wish they added you tube, but i dont think they will add it in future.
14. video clarity was good, but what i loved was audio output amazing..
15. except for poor online services( internet radio never works), its o.k player for my budget..
16. i use pc for downloading as i can also browse, but have transfered 80% of movies to internal disk of asus, as it is more quickly accessable,
17. my personal opinion GO FOR IT....
I JUST WANT TO ADD----- DO U ALL KNOW ABOUT SHORTCUT VIRUS? ONE STUPID VIRUS TURNS YOUR ENTIRE PENDRIVE FILES INTO SHORTCUT, WHICH MAY/ MAYNOT BE ACCESSABLE.. I HAVE A TOTAL OF 3 TB, DISK WHICH IS FILLED WITH DATA, MOVIES,, I DECIDED NEVER TO USE IT ON PC BUT ONLY ON ASUS...HAVE ORDERED FOR ONE MORE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR FRESH DOWNLOADS AND PC USE..TO MY KNOWLEDGE NO ANTIVIRUS HAS BEEN EFFICIENT IN PREVENTING THIS VIRUS INFECTION..THE VIRUS STAYS IN HARD DISK EVEN AFTER FORMATTING... OOPS THE WORST I SEEN AFTER NEW FOLDER VIRUS...

Notes to add: Photo display was better than my pc, as it occupied my entire 50" tv, unlike my pc which had borders in slide show.. Wish asus add slide show function along with select audio track ,, but too much to expect...
FAN DO GETS ON BUT SOUND IS TOO TOO TOO LOW,, 1000 TIMES BETTER THAN MY PC
I dreamed for xtremer pro, but since both dont support 3d, i settled for less pricy and eye catchy player...
I SET THE DISPLAY AS 1080P,WITH 24FPS ON AND LPCM MULTI CHANNEL(SOMETIMES I CHANGE TO LPCM ONLY) , SPDIF RAW, (SOME TIMES I CHANGE TO LPCM)..
I SET MY OUTPUT AS 4:3 RATIO NOT 16:9 BECAUSE I LOVE TO SEE DARK BARS OVER 70MM FILMS, WHILE NO BARS FOR TOM AND JERRY CARTOONS..ITS AN NICE OPTION WHICH I LOVE..
IF I SELECT AS 16:9, NO BARS AT ALL.. BUT SINCE I LIKE BARS ESPECIALLY HORROR MOVIES, I SET AS 4:3..
MY OPINION IS USE MEDIA PLAYER AS MEDIA PLAYER, NOT FOR DOWNLOADING TORRENTS / BROWSING,, I HAVE ONLY 250 GB INTERNAL HARD DISK FOR MY PC,PREVIOUSLY FOUR OF MY 1 TB DISC FAILED, AS THEY WERE ALWAYS CONNECTED ENTIRE NIGHT FOR DOWNLOADING... AT PRESENT IAM DOWNLOADING JACKIECHAN MOVIE COLLECTIONS 57 GB.. USING BSNL 3G UNLIMITED PLAN.. (MY PC IS AMD QUADCORE,3.2 GHZ,,8 GB RAM DDR2, WINDOWS 7 -64 BIT,,,250 GB HARD DISK, HDMI OUT.. USING U TORRENT AND OPERA)

Last edited:
for information regarding why iam unable to detect bitstream ability of player is that i got lg receiver having only dts, so even if my asus sends dts-hd my receiver will decode as dts... check below...

DTS-HD encoded content contains a DTS surround sound "core", plus an "extension" that delivers even higher quality. When you play a DTS-HD encoded disc through an older DTS-capable receiver, the DTS-HD extension is simply ignored and only the DTS core is decoded but not at ordinary quality levels. Your older receiver will play back DTS-HD material with DTS surround audio at twice the data rate of other DVD video surround formats. Meaning? You get immediate compatibility and a boost in quality.
link:DTS | DTS Audio Formats | DTS-HD Master Audio

I JUST WANT TO ADD----- DO U ALL KNOW ABOUT SHORTCUT VIRUS? ONE STUPID VIRUS TURNS YOUR ENTIRE PENDRIVE FILES INTO SHORTCUT, WHICH MAY/ MAYNOT BE ACCESSABLE.. I HAVE A TOTAL OF 3 TB, DISK WHICH IS FILLED WITH DATA, MOVIES,, I DECIDED NEVER TO USE IT ON PC BUT ONLY ON ASUS...HAVE ORDERED FOR ONE MORE EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR FRESH DOWNLOADS AND PC USE..TO MY KNOWLEDGE NO ANTIVIRUS HAS BEEN EFFICIENT IN PREVENTING THIS VIRUS INFECTION..THE VIRUS STAYS IN HARD DISK EVEN AFTER FORMATTING... OOPS THE WORST I SEEN AFTER NEW FOLDER VIRUS...

Your PC is probably infected. Once infected, sometimes it is not easy to remove them even using anti-virus. Also they are transferred to whatever disks you connect to your pc. So the best thing is to format and reinstall the OS. Before that remove any all additional hdds, usb drives etc. Install and update your anti-virus (I suggest Avast Anti-virus) then scan all your hard disks.

I am using HD2 for past couple of months. Though I did not have much time to check all features, I found the firmware update is required to play flac files.

I tried once to connect the HD2 to network through the ADSL/Router given by MTNL and failed to connect it both using DHCP and Fixed IP.

If anyone has already connected HD2 in network can give some tips on this.

HD2 does not support DTS-HD. But it does the job well otherwise. I am happy in my experience with HD2.

optical out as raw output supports dts-hd (7.1) to be streamed as dts(5.1),,,i confirmed it.....have u checked hdmi raw output? i think it will support7.1...

i confirmed....it can decode and also bitstream dtshd...no idea about dolby llz? want to try it....

Ok...I have a weird problem with this player...I am on the latest firmware...Can somebody confirm if they have the same issue...When I play an mp3 file and immediately after it I play a flac file...I hear loud static noise..The static noise lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute and then the flac file can be heard ?

from any computer dealers you can order it, better buy from known persons to get good warranty and support.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back