Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard - experience

sonosphere

Hi Everybody,
My quest for a better source ended today. Since the Pune HFV meet last December (got to audition Beresford Caiman DAC), I knew DAC will suit my requirements, and started searching for DACs around price band of 10-15k. After lot of reading on web, including our fellow member SHANTI's posts (no audition!) finally settled for Asus Xonar Essence ST soundcard.

Installed the card with stock drivers and played my favourite mp3 tracks with VLC player (didn't play audio CD deliberately). I hoped that the card is good enough that it can make mp3s sound good. And result? >> I found moderately better SQ than my DVDP playing the mp3 :-( !!!. The bass was lesser but with better body, details were better across the whole spectrum, but I couldn't figure what was all the fuss about, I mean the rave reviews on web. So did I plonk down 9.5k (+ another 9k for PC) for marginal improvement?

The advice that foobar with kernal streaming option should be used with this card, was known to me, however I wanted to start out with stock drivers from Asus-CD and a regular player like VLC as a safe option. Having played the PC for close to 3 days without any hiccups I was assured that the "wintel" pc and the card are basically happy together, and now's the time to tread into little risky waters (Kernel streaming may not work smoothly on some PCs, say reports on web)

Downloaded foobar player along with Kernel streaming dll file >> followed the instructions for installtion of both >> tweaked the settings in Asus Xonar control panel as per tips on web >> with little anxiety in heart clicked the play button in foobar >> *** WOW ***.

The mp3 "Portabello belle" (Dire straits) sounded so full of life. The moment the song finished I rushed for the Dire straits Debut album audio CD >> Skipped directly to track 2 (Water of love) >> *** SPEECHLESS ***.

To be fair, part credit for "SPEECHLESS" effect also goes to Usher V-601 bookshelf speakers and my other new aquisition, the Adcom GFA 545 MkII power amp (my NAD C320 integrated amp served as pre-amp).

I knew I've hit a significant landmark in my audio-journey when my 16 yr old son said after hearing the same, "dad now your system sounds better than my headphones" (not surprisingly, he is also fan of Dire straits, and ridiculed me often that his 800 bucks sony headphones sounded better than my 45k system. The poor Usher's had to take blame for a average source like DVDP). OTOH My "better half", having noticed my "speechless looks" seemed to enquire "what's the fuss all about? Well... I've learned to ignore that.

There are still better days ahead. The card is knwon to improve after approx 100 hrs of burn in. BTW the box-pack of the card ought to have this notice printed in bold >> IMPORTANT: DON'T EVER THINK OF USING THIS CARD WITHOUT FOOBAR & KERNEL STREAMING OPTION.

I don't foresee myself touching wallet for a long time.
And yes, I've got to stay away from -wallet breaking- "opportunities" to audition mega-buck systems :)

Regds,
Sonosphere

Glad to hear that. Only if my PC had a little screen to browse music, ...

Congrats for the newly discovered joy :)

Thanks Vasishta.

BTW I don't have are regular monitor connected to the PC. I've connected the PC to regular TV, thru TV out of graphics (I actually specified such card to the PC assembler). One can also use an external box like VGA to PAL converter to connect a PC to regular TV.

Regds,

Even I've that setup. PC connected to my HDTV. But the idea of turning on the TV just to see the playlist or change tracks is beyond me.

I want things to be simpler so finally settled for touch. I know I'll take a hit on the sound but at least I gain on useability. Just turn on the little device, turn on the amp and you are done.

I still long for the Essence. Don't think I'll ever buy that but consider me if you ever wish to donate it to a friend ;) This small card is just amazing.

Well vlc certainly doesnt sound good with music.I have used vlc,MPCHC with xonar.
MPCHC with direct sound opt sounds better.Drivers with xonar D2X are not the best & so I use UNIXONAR drivers.V1.41 is the best & they make my D2X more musical than stalk drivers.You can try them with ST.

Now foobar has many versions & 0.8.3 & 0.9.6.9 are my favorites.Try DL them.They sound(0.9..) much better with mp3 & you may love it.Use wasapi OR asio which sounds better than KS.
http://www.oldapps.com/foobar2000.php?old_foobar=14
http://www.oldapps.com/foobar2000.php?old_foobar=44

Another player is Lilith which sounds tube like .
http://translate.google.co.jp/translate?hl=ja&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://www.project9k.jp/
http://www.project9k.jp/download/uLilith/stable/
Now its time to experiment & share your thoughts.
Can you you tell us how does ST sound compared to Beresford?

Last edited:
Congrats, sonosphere! I use an STX myself and I quite agree that foobar + WASAPI/KS is the way to go!

PS: Are you still looking for a DAC with volume control?

^^ I just asked because I still see the thread listed in his signature :)

BTW, I will be doing a Sound Card + DAC setup soon. I've ordered a Rega DAC (Should be here in 7-10 days). I'll be feeding it via the coaxial out of the STX.

I'll be keeping the STX as I'll need a headphone amp once I sell the Caiman. I especially like what the "movie" setting in the STX does for headphone listening while watching movies -- it makes you forget you're using headphones, esp. when you're using open-backed headphones. The STX is a pretty decent HP amp for music too.

Sorry for going OT, sonosphere :eek:

Hydra,how does STX sounds via headphone?
What abt front panal HP out?It is normal out OR amplified?

@spiro,

The STX has a pretty nice headphone amp. I've used my Senn HD555s and Shure e2C IEMs (via 6.3mm to 3.5mm adapter) with it. Neither of these really need a HP amp, but they do sound nicer with one.

I've used the STX's HP amp mostly with my Senn HD555s. This combination gives a nice detailed sound signature, without tending to be bright. The 555s are inherently a bit dark, and the STX brings in just enough detail to keep them sounding laid back enough without too much loss of detail. Bass is adequate and fast. Vocals have good body. The STX throws a nice expansive soundstage and I don't get that inside-the-head feeling while listening to music at all.

Music sounds best without any of the built-in modes engaged. The Movie mode is really nice (while watching post-2000 movies) -- it adds a lot of atmosphere, and gives a very good in-the-movie feel: Almost like you have speakers to the sides and behind you. Dialogues are very very clear, and so are the finer background details in the movies (a dog barking a few houses away, paper/leaves rustling off screen etc., etc.). While watching the older movies I prefer to keep the movie mode off.

Between the STX and the Caiman, the STX is just a little bit airier than the Caiman. The STX also has a slightly more open soundstage. BUT, the Caiman gives much better overall body to music (the STX can sound a bit thin at times). Between the STX and the Caiman, I prefer the Caiman for this very reason. The Caiman also has a bit more authority as far as bass is concerned. But then I rarely use the Senn 555s for listening to music these days. I mostly used to use them before I got my speakers and amp.

Do understand that I really don't have that much experience with headphone amps -- the only ones I've listened to are my Fiio E5, BSG cMoy (OPA2227 BB), Beresford Caiman and Xonar STX.

The front panel 3.5mm outputs on the PC are connected to the STX, but I don't think they are amped at all. Frankly, I haven't at all used the the front panel outs after I tested them to see if they work :D

@spiro,

Between the STX and the Caiman, the STX is just a little bit airier than the Caiman. The STX also has a slightly more open soundstage. BUT, the Caiman gives much better overall body to music (the STX can sound a bit thin at times). :D

Thanks,I can say if you change the driver to UNIXONAR 1.41,you can overcome that thin sound.I experienced with xonar D2X.
Now sound is much fuller with fast Bass & timing.Treble is clean & not harsh.Sound is more musical with Lilith & foobar 0.9.6.9.Soundstage big enough & movies more enjoyable.

Now its time to experiment & share your thoughts.
Can you you tell us how does ST sound compared to Beresford?

Hi Spiro,
Experimenting is surely planned down the line (software mods /tweaking options is one of the reasons why I chose PC-DAC source). With approx 1 hr playing/day, I expect the burn-in to reflect in SQ by 3 months. That's when experimenting will start.

ST Vs Beresford difference: The ST has more details at 3KHz and above whereas Beresford seemed to have more impact in mids and bass. However both sound complete... i.e you don't feel as if something is lacking.

Regds,

I have always compared the sound with plain headphones.I use AT-M50 & can easily pick a difference in SQ.
When I used asus drivers ,I found vocals as thin & bright top end.
Now with new drivers(1.41)Bass hass better character, Vocals fuller & trebles better too.

soundcard plus dac ??? Why would someone do that ?

Why? >> The answer lies in observations by many that all optical outs don't end up delivering the same SQ even though they ought to carry the same bits. I've read in one of VenkatCr's post that SQ of Asus STX digital out + Arcam rdac combo rivals very high end CDP's (purity of STX digital out is one of the reasons for such SQ). I suppose most of guys experienced in HTPC know that the SQ of digital out of Motherboard, sucks.

Regds,

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back