ASUS Xonar Essense One DAC

mbhangui

In the quest for improving the sound of my HTPC, I came across Juli@, Xonar ST/STX internal cards and Xonar Essence One.

Finally placed an order with Pristine Notes on 29th May and the Xonar E1 landed up today. After placing the order, I came to know of the octroi thingy in Pune and I felt mad for a day (Muncipal Corporation making money out of a poor wannabe audiophile like me). I had a lovely experience with Pristine Notes which I will write about later in the appropriate section.

P_500.jpg

Some marketing gyan from ASUS

o Hi-Fi audio through the world's first 8x symmetrical upsampling
o Extreme audio clarity with 120dB SNR
o Built-in headphone amp powers up even 600 ohms impedance headphones
o 11 swappable OP-amps for customizable tonal characters
o Cleanest sound thanks to a dedicated internal power supply

Unboxing the box (like unboxing lot of things) was a pleasure. The box came with Xonar E1 DAC, a USB cable, two power cords and one Driver CD which I promptly inserted in the HTPC and installed the driver. Boy, getting this DAC to work is as troublesome as installing an internal sound card. The only time it saves is opening the HTPC cabinet and inserting the card in one of the PCI/PCIe slots. In fact the ASIO drivers gave quite a trouble (compared to the motherboard realtek drivers).

E1 comes with the Burr-Brown PC1795K DAC in the unit, and it accepts 192 kHz / 24-bit which makes it capable of converting the highest quality source material available online. The box is made entirely of aluminum, giving the impression of well done work, the impression of that contributes also the respectable weight of the DAC. The ASUS Xonar Essence One supports Asynchronous Data Transfer mode. This is using Cmedia CM6631 USB2.0 controller that can support the latest USB Audio Device Class Definition V2.0 and high-definition audio processing, with capabilities of up to 192KHz/ 32bit.

On the front panel we have the power button, surrounded by a blue light when its powered on, upsampling function, which performs a 8x Symmetrical Upsampling, then a source selector with options like coaxial, optical, USB and even mute button. There are two volume potentiometers, one for speakers and one for headphones, a series of LEDs that indicate the received bitrate by the DAC. There is a LED which lights up when you get a bitperfect output from the source. Finally, there is a dedicated headphone output.

q7gyd84c53voBHMO_500.jpg

On the back, things look at least as well, we have there almost all types of connections: unbalanced RCA analog outputs, AES/EBU balanced outputs through 3-pin XLR connectors, S/PDIF coaxial and Optical input plus an asynchronous USB input. All connectors are of course gold plated on both the front and back, except for IEC connector.

sVDHUdfrXnbpMvUa_500.jpg

In order to kick off my testing Foobar 2k was fired up and ASIO drivers configured and I selected WASAPI driver as well as the KS (kernel streaming) driver. With both I could not get the bit perfect led on the E1 to light up.

Next I fired my favourite media player mediamonkey with the WASAPI plugin. Initially the sound was horrible with lot of distortion. After unchecking the exclusive mode of the WASAPI plugin, the sound became perfect but I did not get the bit perfect led to light up. After few minutes on the internet, it seems that this is an issue with the ASUS ASIO driver. However I came across a mediamonkey ASIO plugin which supports many of the external DACS and I downloaded the ASIO plugin. After selecting the new ASIO plugin, I finally see the bitperfect led light up :). Though I cannot make out any difference in the SQ between the ASIO driver and the WASAPI driver, I have left mediamonkey to use the ASIO driver as of now.

The same otachan driver is available for foobar, but foobar crashes when I install the foobar version of this otachan driver :mad:. Hence as of now, no bitperfect output for foobar

All i can say is that there is quite a difference between the onboard realtek sound. More to follow later....

Last edited:
Closeup photos, or you didn't buy it:)

Many ongratulations.

This accepts audio from PC on USB?

Closeup photos, or you didn't buy it:)

Many ongratulations.

This accepts audio from PC on USB?

Yes it accepts audio from PC on USB (supports async mode). Additonally it has a COAX and a toslink input as well. There is a input selector switch to select the source. One downside is that E1 does not come with any remote.

Last edited:
This is one of the DACs I am interested in but unfortunately no one here in HFV seems
to own (until now) or had an opportunity to do a A-B comparison with other popular DACs
like MF M1. Do keep us updated with your impressions. If you get a chance to do
a A-B comparison with other DACs will be interested to read those impressions as well.

Thanks.

So far I have listened to the following and the harshness that I used to associate with Digital is gone. In most of the songs played till now, I am hearing few nuances that I haven't heard before.

Uriah Heep
Dire Straits
Black Sabbath
Bee Gees
Eric Clapton
Neil Diamond
Jethro Tull
Elvis Presley
Eminem

I played the Guide (Hindi) CD and did not like it. Maybe the CD that I have is junk.

I feel that this is the right moment to explain the system currently being used

Source - ASUS Essence 1 connected to a HTPC through USB
Media Player - Mediamonkey 4.0.3 Gold Version with ASIO output plugin (upsampling to 19200 Kb)
Amplifer - Yamaha 667 AVR with E1 connected to Audio 2 RCA input
Speakers - POLK RTi A9

Congrats,we will be eager to know about detailed sound review soon.You can also test it with Yamaha 667 DAC too.

Last edited:
are you using cd drive of your htpc to play your cds?

No. I play only mp3, flac from the htpc. What I played was the flac after importing it from the CD.

EDIT: I have also connected an el-cheapo Sony DVD player SPDIF output using a RCA cable. Also tried the toslink cable. Could find any difference between SPDIF, TOSLINK output.

Heard the song "All Rise" using the DVD Player and mediamonkey on HTPC as source. Both sound almost similar with the sound coming from HTPC having bass with a better punch. The high frequencies and vocals sound the same.

Last edited:
Anyone done a A-B compo of the Xonar ST Vs Essence One?

If not would you like to do one? :)

P.S: I am thinking of building a dedicated music PC.

No. I play only mp3, flac from the htpc. What I played was the flac after importing it from the CD.

EDIT: I have also connected an el-cheapo Sony DVD player SPDIF output using a RCA cable. Also tried the toslink cable. Could find any difference between SPDIF, TOSLINK output.

Heard the song "All Rise" using the DVD Player and mediamonkey on HTPC as source. Both sound almost similar with the sound coming from HTPC having bass with a better punch. The high frequencies and vocals sound the same.

Congrats on the purchase sire! Want to do an A/B with other DACs and the CA CDP I have. It'd be fun activity and with help the likes of Rohit who are in the market for a decent source.

In your setup I believe a stereo amp could help you appreciate the differences much better than the AVR could.

congrats mbhangui, i thin the main advantage of this dac over many other usb enabled ones is that it suppors full 24/192 over USB which many others like dacmagic, etc or even Squuzebox touch supports upto 24/96 only. Btw how much was the total cost to you including everything?

Anyone done a A-B compo of the Xonar ST Vs Essence One?

If not would you like to do one? :)

P.S: I am thinking of building a dedicated music PC.

Congrats on the purchase sire! Want to do an A/B with other DACs and the CA CDP I have. It'd be fun activity and with help the likes of Rohit who are in the market for a decent source.

In your setup I believe a stereo amp could help you appreciate the differences much better than the AVR could.

Rothit/Sarang, I am game for the A/B with other DACs at my place (just next to Croma at Aundh). This time let me play host. Decide on a day (Sat/Sun). I have already decided on getting an AMP and on the lookout for a pre-owned item. Any suggessoin? My room will be 18x11 ft. Main speakers will be RTIa9

congrats mbhangui, i thin the main advantage of this dac over many other usb enabled ones is that it suppors full 24/192 over USB which many others like dacmagic, etc or even Squuzebox touch supports upto 24/96 only. Btw how much was the total cost to you including everything?

It came to 24365 + 912 octroi

Last edited:
mbhangui: Change the stock op-amps if possible...i have essensce st...with stock op amps the sq is sama as a cheapo dvdp..somewhere in my mind....i think a dacent dac like this good...its the amp...which is not good to amplify the microlevel currents.... amplification of dynamic signal of that sort makes the difference....which make sound exciting...so do plan to change ur amp with same source....it cud be possible...that ur source is perfect...

Last edited:
mbhangui: Change the stock op-amps if possible...i have essensce st...with stock op amps the sq is sama as a cheapo dvdp..somewhere in my mind....i think a dacent dac like this good...its the amp...which is not good to amplify the microlevel currents.... amplification of dynamic signal of that sort makes the difference....which make sound exciting...so do plan to change ur amp with same source....it cud be possible...that ur source is perfect...

Thank you for the suggestion. In fact this is on my cards and was looking at ebay for procuring the opamps. Do you know where to buy the opamps from?

Rohit/Sarang, I am game for the A/B with other DACs at my place (just next to Croma at Aundh). This time let me play host. Decide on a day (Sat/Sun).

Sounds good. Will tag along my AMP and a couple of DACs.

sounds good.

+ ASUS ST should be interesting since both offerings are from ASUS.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back