AT440MLB cartridge - thoughts?

plasmoid

Hi all...I have a chance to buy a brand new sealed AT440MLB cart for around 14k (a friend has 2 and has decided to sell one). I read online it's comparatively bright and bass shy; also makes surface noise more apparent. Would appreciate any inputs on this.

plasmoid, please keenly watch this you tube video about the review of AT440MLB.

Cheers

Sunder.

Hi Sunder...thanks for the video. I have watched almost all of Ian's videos in the past. My listening is 80% heavy metal and contrary to most metal fans who like a rather aggressive mid-range, I tend to favor the laid back mids of the AT440mlb (also heard a few rips on youtube). My main concern is if it brings out more surface noise than other carts.

I have this cart but I haven’t used it yet. I bought it after doing a lot of research online and on a few online forums. It’s a highly recommended cart, for my technics 1200. There will be pro and cons. For me, I asked a lot of users who were using the cart themselves personally on a daily basis. All except one user, loved this cart for the microline stylus.

plasmoid, most of the people say, the hi-fidelity in this cart is exemplary with enormous detail, but for the die-hard analog enthusiasts, the mid and vocal from this cart is not as warm as organic. Since it's microline stylus, the needle will bring out more information from the untouched bottom of the grooves. It's said that AT150mlx is better than this cart.

Cheers.

plasmoid, most of the people say, the hi-fidelity in this cart is exemplary with enormous detail, but for the die-hard analog enthusiasts, the mid and vocal from this cart is not as warm as organic. Since it's microline stylus, the needle will bring out more information from the untouched bottom of the grooves. It's said that AT150mlx is better than this cart.

Cheers.
So untouched bottom groove means less surface noise right? as most of the wear on pre-used records will be towards the surface. AT150mlx is way out of my budget.

From the specs it has a compliance on the higher side. Check the tonearm match with the Technics which is a medium mass tonearm if I am not mistaken. It is otherwise reputed to be a fine cart. I have never used any AT however so no personal experience.

From the specs it has a compliance on the higher side. Check the tonearm match with the Technics which is a medium mass tonearm if I am not mistaken. It is otherwise reputed to be a fine cart. I have never used any AT however so no personal experience.

Like you said it leans towards higher compliance, but from what I have read on various forums and seen on youtube it gets high praise from Technics users.

Plasmoid, yes, from all the reviews: It's less in surface noise and excellent in delicate very high frequency. Very good tracker.

Cheers.

I was recommended this cart by technics users on other forums. I prefer to believe actual people who have and use the cart everyday. For 14k it’s a seriously good cart.

for avoidance of clicks pops, use good cleaning equipment for LP's. This cart will pick up all the surface noise for sure

Wet clean with? If you are using the stated phono pre in your signature, I would look at upgrading it as well.

Just distilled water and a nitty gritty brush, rinse well and then air dry (hardly hear any surface noise with my present cart). Also keep my stylus clean with the Onzow Zerodust. And yes,looking at upgrading the phono to Schiit Mani.

Last edited:
Great Comparison here
. I am presently using the same cart (yellow one). Can't hear any noticeable difference in surface noise(check the second Queen track), and the 440MLB tracks insanely well. No IGD or sibilance whatsoever.

I don’t think anyone here on this site has used the 440mlb. If someone has, then take that persons opinion. Like I said, lots of people all over the world use this cart and recommend it. Rest are all educated guesses.

Rig up yours' and be the first to give us user opinion here;)

Incidentally Ian at HiViNyws has reviewed a couple of the new VM series MM cartridges from AT and he's trashed them both:p
Ian has a tendency to trash most AT carts. I find him quite biased to warmer carts.

“Rig up yours' and be the first to give us user opinion here “

I got a better idea josh.... why don’t u come home and let’s conect the cart. What say? Hehe

See isn’t that idea better than urs?!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back