Atmos/DTS X - Front Heights Vs Top Front or Top Middle

filmguy

In my 5.1.2 setup for my atmos setup I have bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall above of (& just a bit behind) my front speakers at the highest point of the front wall just below the ceiling with the speakers pointed at main listening position. i cannot mount them on my ceiling as i have a POP false ceiling which wont take their weight. my avr is set to Front Heights.

was wondering if i would gain anything by buying a pair of in-ceiling speakers and mounting them on the ceiling and setting them as Top Fronts or Top Middle? is there any difference in experience of movies and music (especially when using the dolby/dts upmixers since most of my media is not atmos encoded) in one setup vs the other?

I would say there is abig difference between top middle config and front height config.
I have both setups running .
My vote goes to top middle config on ceiling mounted option

I would say there is abig difference between top middle config and front height config.
I have both setups running .
My vote goes to top middle config on ceiling mounted option

you have both setups running at the same time, like 5.1.4 or is it 2 different setups in separate rooms?
could you please elaborate a bit on the difference you found between the 2? is the diff only in music or movies, if you had to give it a percentage how much would you say the diff was, etc? thanks

was wondering if i would gain anything by buying a pair of in-ceiling speakers and mounting them on the ceiling and setting them as Top Fronts or Top Middle?
For the sake of symmetry, you would be better off mounting another pair of your front height bookshelf speakers high up on the wall behind you and designating them as rear heights.
is there any difference in experience of movies and music (especially when using the dolby/dts upmixers since most of my media is not atmos encoded) in one setup vs the other?
2 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right movement overhead. 4 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Big difference.

For the sake of symmetry, you would be better off mounting another pair of your front height bookshelf speakers high up on the wall behind you and designating them as rear heights. 2 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right movement overhead. 4 height speakers let you hear left-vs-right AND front-vs-back movement above you. Big difference.

hi

mine is a 5.1.2 avr, not 5.1.4 so thats not possible

i was asking about diff between front heights vs top front/top middle

you have both setups running at the same time, like 5.1.4 or is it 2 different setups in separate rooms?
2 setup running in 2 different rooms driven by Marantz.
its comparison experiencing between 5.1.2 Vs 7.1.2.

could you please elaborate a bit on the difference you found between the 2? is the diff only in music or movies
Imo Front height will not give more immersive as compared to top middle/Top front, back setup.
My priority will be movies no comments about music.
I would prefer stereo mode for music may be occasionally dtx/ dolby surround upmixer.

Recently came across these speakers at Globous showroom. May be best suited for Dolby Atmos. Can be hang to cieling . Asked manager for details but he was not aware, just say it is Pune, Maharashtra based local company.

I came across these speakers accidentally while visited to Globous shop. Don't have any details, just came to know Poona based company manufactures these. Can not comment on performance but I feel they will suit for Dolby Atmos and mounting option is cool.

For atmos, which speaker is better? A round inceiling? Or a hanging speaker that reachkalyan has shown? And what would be the reason? Thanks.

For atmos, which speaker is better? A round inceiling? Or a hanging speaker that reachkalyan has shown? And what would be the reason? Thanks.

Am not good technically to explain the differences..

But, if you have a false ceiling, installing an in-ceiling speaker is easy..

If you have a concrete ceiling, a BS with mount thread hole is easier to mount with compatible ceiling brackets.. Mounting in ceiling speakers on concrete ceiling would be difficult, as you will need to take DIY route..

Thanks buddy, my question is which is better. As in which gives a better movie experience? In ceiling or hung on ceiling?

Thanks buddy, my question is which is better. As in which gives a better movie experience? In ceiling or hung on ceiling?
Angulated one would be better IMO.
Happy owner with its performance.
If ceiling mounted just above your head prefer ceiling flushed one (in ceiling)

Back