Atmos Height Speakers Placement

mgdelhi

Hi,

I bought a Samsung Soundbar Q950A and had some issues with that. Samsung has refunded my money and taken back the soundbar.

Now, I am thinking of getting a 4K AVR to replace my 1080p AVR which is absolutely fine otherwise.

I need to ask if there is a possibility of adding Height Speakers to my existing 5.1 setup?

Please see the picture of my existing setup and suggest. I don't mind getting internal wiring done for height speakers.

BTW, my existing system is 7.1 and I have unused 2 speakers but I doubt if those speakers can be used.

PS: I know this layout is not good for 5.1.2 but I have been happy with this 5.1 setup since 2010 and now trying to accommodate Atmos in the limited space I have.

Attachments

• Room.jpeg
    Room.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
I had got internal wiring done in 2011 for 2 rear and 2 front speakers.
Ok, so that rules out any possibility of using those pipes/ducts.

Are there 2 ceiling fans in the room? You can ask some electrician about possibility of pulling speaker wires through the electric cable duct for fans. If its possible, you can fix speakers in ceiling right next to fan shafts. If you manage to get white speakers, they will not look bad.
The other end of speaker wires can come out of some eletric switch board opening and go into AVR.

Ok, so that rules out any possibility of using those pipes/ducts.

Are there 2 ceiling fans in the room? You can ask some electrician about possibility of pulling speaker wires through the electric cable duct for fans. If its possible, you can fix speakers in ceiling right next to fan shafts. If you manage to get white speakers, they will not look bad.
The other end of speaker wires can come out of some eletric switch board opening and go into AVR.

There are 2 ceiling fans in the room but the other one is quite far from the one seen in picture (It's a living / dining room, please see the attached picture).

Is it possible to install speakers in the concrete roof? Any links / pictures of such speaker placement please.

If it is easier/better to have height speakers on the wall, I can get internal wiring done. I am planning to get my home painted anyway in next couple of months. In such case, please suggest location and type of speakers.

Attachments

• map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 95
There are 2 ceiling fans in the room but the other one is quite far from the one seen in picture (It's a living / dining room, please see the attached picture).

Is it possible to install speakers in the concrete roof? Any links / pictures of such speaker placement please.

If it is easier/better to have height speakers on the wall, I can get internal wiring done. I am planning to get my home painted anyway in next couple of months. In such case, please suggest location and type of speakers.
Adding the height speaker on front wall is not worth the effort. It will be adding speakers just for the sake of adding.
If you can add duct in ceiling (similar to what you did for walls) while getting home painted, then it would be best.
Yes, installation is possible in concrete roof, see this post -
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/suggestion-for-atmos-speakers.86223/post-965943

Adding the height speaker on front wall is not worth the effort.
Will something like this be not effective (on front and/or rear wall)? Even after maximizing level of height channels compared to level of other channels?

Speakers in false ceiling look great but they are not looking good in concrete ceiling (to my at least). ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot (447).png
    Screenshot (447).png
    714.8 KB · Views: 75
Hi,

I bought a Samsung Soundbar Q950A and had some issues with that. Samsung has refunded my money and taken back the soundbar.

Now, I am thinking of getting a 4K AVR to replace my 1080p AVR which is absolutely fine otherwise.

I need to ask if there is a possibility of adding Height Speakers to my existing 5.1 setup?

Please see the picture of my existing setup and suggest. I don't mind getting internal wiring done for height speakers.

BTW, my existing system is 7.1 and I have unused 2 speakers but I doubt if those speakers can be used.

PS: I know this layout is not good for 5.1.2 but I have been happy with this 5.1 setup since 2010 and now trying to accommodate Atmos in the limited space I have.
What is (or going to be) your AVR?

Will something like this be not effective (on front and/or rear wall)? Even after maximizing level of height channels compared to level of other channels?
As per comments I have seen in this forum, it doesn't sound as good as ceiling installed speakers.
Speakers in false ceiling look great but they are not looking good in concrete ceiling (to my at least). ;)
I agree. I myself don't have false ceiling and havent yet installed ceiling speakers just for this very reason.

Why don’t you try flat speakers like DLS in white colour. It will look elegant I feel.. bit expensive though.

I suppose you already have flat speakers on the front, from the pic. Which make is it?

Why don’t you try flat speakers like DLS in white colour. It will look elegant I feel.. bit expensive though.

I suppose you already have flat speakers on the front, from the pic. Which make is it?
Thanks. I have bought a Samsung Q990B soundbar.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back