ATMOS Speaker for Denon X-1400H

kmathan88

I have upgraded my receiver to Denon X1400H, and I see day night difference compared to my previous avr Pioneer 319k. I will be using S-RS3TB speakers for another year at least before upgrade. Now, I wanted to add a pair of ATMOS speaker on budget to make it 5.1.2.

1) Used Focal Bird
2) Used Focal Dome
3) New Yamaha satellite speaker from 2910 package - NS-P20
4) New Pioneer satellite speaker from S-11 package

Max I can spend is ~10K for a pair now. Either I can choose a good speaker now and upgrade only the 5.1 later or buy some cheap speaker to get the experience and upgrade entire 7.1 later. I don't have false ceiling, so I prefer direct mounting option (No in-wall / ceiling model). I have option to get from US as well. Please suggest.

Other post:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/upgrade-suggestion-from-pioneer-vsx-319.67717/

Now, I wanted to add a pair of ATMOS speaker on budget to make it 5.1.2.

Max I can spend is ~10K for a pair now. Either I can choose a good speaker now and upgrade only the 5.1 later or buy some cheap speaker to get the experience and upgrade entire 7.1 later. I don't have false ceiling, so I prefer direct mounting option (No in-wall / ceiling model). I have option to get from US as well. Please suggest.

Consider a speaker that has mounting threads, along with MX mounts like these from ebay.in for Rs 600/- - https://www.ebay.in/itm/MX-Speaker-...650615?hash=item3f8d2066f7:g:~JEAAOSw-itXwuVP

Should be easier to mount on ceiling and has the flexibility to tilt..

s-l1600.jpg

U Can check Polk OWM 3 speakers, Sonodyne sonus 3540 speakers which will be having brackets for easy mounting.
I bought Focal Dome for Atmos, and it can be mounted directly on the ceiling.

I might plan for Polk when upgrading other speakers. OWM 3 is a good option for rear side, since it has low profile design. But, still thinking about upgrading rear speakers to Focal Dome itself. So, that the sound signature is same in the rear.
For Front and Center, mostly Pioneer.

I bought Focal Dome for Atmos, and it can be mounted directly on the ceiling.

I might plan for Polk when upgrading other speakers. OWM 3 is a good option for rear side, since it has low profile design. But, still thinking about upgrading rear speakers to Focal Dome itself. So, that the sound signature is same in the rear.
For Front and Center, mostly Pioneer.
upgrading rear speakers to Focal Dome will be good option so that Timber matching will be good.

upgrading rear speakers to Focal Dome will be good option so that Timber matching will be good.
Agreed, I will plan for Focal Dome for rear side.
I will be upgrading my center channel later this year. But for that I have to decide on the Front floorstanders and center channel now. My initial idea was to get Pioneer SP-FS52-LR and Pioneer SP-C22. Is it a
good match ? Or should I increase the budget ?

I have to go with Floorstanders because of other reasons.
Please suggest other option, for floorstanders in 30K range (for a pair)

I will be upgrading my center channel later this year. But for that I have to decide on the Front floorstanders and center channel now. My initial idea was to get Pioneer SP-FS52-LR and Pioneer SP-C22. Is it a good match ? Or should I increase the budget ?

I have to go with Floorstanders because of other reasons.
Please suggest other option, for floorstanders in 30K range (for a pair)

If you already have a sub, then you can skip the Pioneer FS and look at higher (affordable) offering from Taga platinum speakers for your fronts (BS ) & center..

If you already have a sub, then you can skip the Pioneer FS and look at higher (affordable) offering from Taga platinum speakers for your fronts (BS ) & center..
I read good reviews on BS from Taga, Dali, Elac and Mission. One reason stopping me from choosing BS over FS is, I have to convince the family about the look of BS with a stand in the living room. Other reason, sometimes I had to keep the sub off and rely only on FS.

I read good reviews on BS from Taga, Dali, Elac and Mission. One reason stopping me from choosing BS over FS is, I have to convince the family about the look of BS with a stand in the living room. Other reason, sometimes I had to keep the sub off and rely only on FS.
For some reason, in the showroom, Pioneer, Mission and Yamaha is recommended over Taga.

One reason stopping me from choosing BS over FS is, I have to convince the family about the look of BS with a stand in the living room. Other reason, sometimes I had to keep the sub off and rely only on FS.

If stands are not an option, you can look for BS that has wall mount options..

Use a Portable 14 inch TV stand to mount bigger BS.. They are around 500 Rs for a piece and not as expensive as dedicated speaker stands..

For some reason, in the showroom, Pioneer, Mission and Yamaha is recommended over Taga.

May be they offer more margin..

If stands are not an option, you can look for BS that has wall mount options..

Use a Portable 14 inch TV stand to mount bigger BS.. They are around 500 Rs for a piece and not as expensive as dedicated speaker stands..

May be they offer more margin..
BS wall mount is an option. Or I can place it on the media cabinet, which is 2 feet height.
Can you please suggest few models in BS ? Dali Zensor seems to have lot of good reviews.

Thanks Elango.

tv.JPG

This is how my current setup looks with 43 inch TV. I can upgrade to a max 65inch and still manage to wall mount / place the BS speaker on the cabinet I guess. Height is 2 feet and Length is ~6 feet.

tv.JPG

BS wall mount is an option. Or I can place it on the media cabinet, which is 2 feet height.

The ideal ear height is between 36 ~ 41 inches depending on your sofa height.. Roughly measure your ear height using a tape sitting in a sofa.. One position sitting erect and an other relaxed position.. add both measurements & divide by 2.. Whatever value you get, that is where you need to match the tweeter height of your speakers..

Dali Zensor seems to have lot of good reviews.

If you like Dali, please go with.. Z1 should cost you at 18 ~ 20K..

Can you please suggest few models in BS ?

I would suggest Taga Platinum series.. S 90 SL (BS) abt 12K for a pair & C-90 SL (center) abt 10K.. If you have any more budget, you can get one more pair of S90 SL for surrounds..

This is how my current setup looks with 43 inch TV. I can upgrade to a max 65inch and still manage to wall mount / place the BS speaker on the cabinet I guess. Height is 2 feet and Length is ~6 feet.

Very nice.. I think there is a need for a bigger display ;).. I believe it is Pioneer sub.. Which model?

The ideal ear height is between 36 ~ 41 inches depending on your sofa height.. Roughly measure your ear height using a tape sitting in a sofa.. One position sitting erect and an other relaxed position.. add both measurements & divide by 2.. Whatever value you get, that is where you need to match the tweeter height of your speakers..

If you like Dali, please go with.. Z1 should cost you at 18 ~ 20K..

I would suggest Taga Platinum series.. S 90 SL (BS) abt 12K for a pair & C-90 SL (center) abt 10K.. If you have any more budget, you can get one more pair of S90 SL for surrounds..

Very nice.. I think there is a need for a bigger display ;).. I believe it is Pioneer sub.. Which model?

I think height match can be done for BS with some DIY trick.
I will try to have a demo for Dali, Taga and other speakers to see if it makes any difference from equalient FS. I am not in a hurry to buy, since my old speakers feels new to my ears after the AVR upgrade.

Since, I have Focal Dome as Atmos speaker. I want to have rear side also as Focal Dome. But it depends on the budget, so I will keep this for next year or so.

Sub is Pioneer S-RS3SW (Part of S-RS3TB package), it is decent for me and apartment friendly. So, I don't see a need for Sub upgrade as of now (or may be the very last upgrade in my setup :))

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back