Atmos

Love4sound

Dear Fm’s

I recently added two height channels to my existing 5.2.2 set up. When I played few of my favourite atmos tracks I felt no difference with 4 height channels compared to 2.I also used a ladder and stayed right next to the rear heigh speakers and even then I was hearing sound from the top front speakers only. No sound at al coming from the rear height speakers. When I played dts x test track to test 5.1.4 channel the sound was loud enough when the track played vocal test (rear height left and rear height right) so the channel is working and no issues with wiring or amp set up. Is there any content or scene I can use to test the top rear speakers? For now all height effects are from top front height speakers alone

Dear Fm’s

I recently added two height channels to my existing 5.2.2 set up. When I played few of my favourite atmos tracks I felt no difference with 4 height channels compared to 2.I also used a ladder and stayed right next to the rear heigh speakers and even then I was hearing sound from the top front speakers only. No sound at al coming from the rear height speakers. When I played dts x test track to test 5.1.4 channel the sound was loud enough when the track played vocal test (rear height left and rear height right) so the channel is working and no issues with wiring or amp set up. Is there any content or scene I can use to test the top rear speakers? For now all height effects are from top front height speakers alone
Auro 3D might be a good test. 4500 supports Auro 3D I guess.

I was watching this last night,

Dear Fm’s

The starting scenes of Mad max Fury Road has sufficient content for rear + front height channels.
There is this famous scene from Hunger Games Mockingjay where HoverCraft leaves back... you must hear panning of the sound from rear to front height channels.

The starting scenes of Mad max Fury Road has sufficient content for rear + front height channels.
There is this famous scene from Hunger Games Mockingjay where HoverCraft leaves back... you must hear panning of the sound from rear to front height channels.
Ok if possible can you get me the time stamp please? I use top front and top rear lay out and not heights

You could download the Dolby Atmos official demo clips, wouldn't that be good to test?
Yeah I have them and felt the same. No effects from top rear. I literally feel no difference with height effects after installing addition pair of speakers.

In my configuration, 9.1 channel - Rear Height and Front Height configured for Auro 3d.

Auto plays in Atmos - Top two channels and front height channels. Top atmos channels very prominent

Auro 3d - Surround LR and Front height - surround channels very prominent

Dts-x - Surround LR and front channels active - Surround channel prominent.

Edit: Due to placement constraints, I have one of the worst layouts ever. Just experimenting with all possible scenarios. A properly setup Auro 3D / Atmos config should have much better results.

Last edited:
This is the test for whether your overhead speakers are working well in isolation. You should hear front to back as well as left to right panning in this. And vice versa.
All four worked in this. In-terms of panning it wasn’t good because of my speaker placements. I guess I am all good with the functioning of avr and speakers.Any imperfections is limited to my speaker placements and the contents.

Any imperfections is limited to my speaker placements and the contents.

Right. Tests like this allow one to narrow down the source of the problem. I forget what the angle requirements are for heights, but it will be worth checking what you have versus the recommended range. Get it within the recommended range and the panning for this demo clip should be good.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread - but if you don’t have a false ceiling in your living room - what’s the best way to get the speakers to the concrete ceiling ? - has anyone found a easy workaround this ?

Right. Tests like this allow one to narrow down the source of the problem. I forget what the angle requirements are for heights, but it will be worth checking what you have versus the recommended range. Get it within the recommended range and the panning for this demo clip should be good.
Please refer the images for you to get an idea on the speaker placements. Panning on top front is good enough I feel. The problem is top rear which is installed exactly above my MLP and in line with the surrounds which are also installed very high. I know it’s wrongly installed but I have no choice given my room limitations. I even some times have hard time figuring out if the sound is from rear surrounds or rear heights

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread - but if you don’t have a false ceiling in your living room - what’s the best way to get the speakers to the concrete ceiling ? - has anyone found a easy workaround this ?

I have installed in concrete ceiling. Please go through this thread and continue posting there for any queries

Attachments

• 4ADBC475-0004-4114-B3CA-E603E3E5920D.jpeg
    4ADBC475-0004-4114-B3CA-E603E3E5920D.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 86
  • B9CD7D8E-8C74-43CE-ACEA-B71F72ECCA1D.jpeg
    B9CD7D8E-8C74-43CE-ACEA-B71F72ECCA1D.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 86
  • B9AFDCD6-45FE-47A8-AAE8-4A125FA53624.jpeg
    B9AFDCD6-45FE-47A8-AAE8-4A125FA53624.jpeg
    85.9 KB · Views: 86
The problem is top rear which is installed exactly above my MLP and in line with the surrounds which are also installed very high.

I'd try changing the designation of those speakers to Rear Heights instead of Top Rear, because that's what they effectively are. The surrounds are an issue. If changing the designation works better for overhead effects, I'd get rid of those.

Thanks for the pictures - I will
Look up the thread you’ve mentioned ....if you have a dedicated room - I suppose the attached picture and installation might be fine ... but for many it’s the living room that’s their TV room HT Room - 2 Ch room etc ... and that being the case I was hoping for members who have done more aesthetically suitable installation.

I'd try changing the designation of those speakers to Rear Heights instead of Top Rear, because that's what they effectively are. The surrounds are an issue. If changing the designation works better for overhead effects, I'd get rid of those.
Thanks and I also had this in mind of changing the layout to top front and rear heights. One doubt though is will all four height channels work in this lay out for atmos and dts x? Guess I have to test and figure it out. In some layouts only two height channels work for atmos with the marantz and Denon receivers. I initially thought of going for top front and surround heights but in the lay out atmos and dts x won’t work on surround heights and the vice versa for auro 3D.I do have plans of lowering the surround speakers which may improve panning.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back